• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ifi DC iPurifier Power Filter Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the ifi DC iPurifier DC (power) filter. It is on kind loan from a member. The iPurifier costs US $99. Looks like there is an updated, iPurifier2 now.

The ifPurifier is an inline DC filter. Power goes in, power goes out. I received a set of adapters with it, not sure if these come with it or not. If not, you definitely need it as these barrel connectors come in a few sizes of outside diameter and inside.

The unit itself is a bit chunky so may not mate with some devices:

ifi dc iPurifier DAC Audio Filter Review.jpg

The challenge with these devices is not that they don't do anything. They do. The issue is if that change materializes in sound you hear.

Audio Measurements
For testing I thought we rely on USB power. "Everyone knows" that USB power is "dirty" so surely this is a perfect input to iPurifier to clean up. I used my Topping D50s as the target DAC since it has independent power that can be provided from USB. For digital data to it, I opted for Toslink optical so we are not dealing with ground loops and such.

Here is our Topping D50s with straight USB power as described above:

Topping D50s Toslink Input Audio Measurements.png

Note that there is half to 1 dB of variation in every snapshot of SINAD (metric of noise and distortion). I then inserted the ifi DC iPurifier in the path:
Topping D50s Toslink Input ifi DC iPurifier Audio Measurements.png

Not a thing has changed. Output voltages are identical at 1.973 and 1.961 volts (Right and Left). Frequency of the tone is right on the money at 1 kHz with 5 digits after the decimal point. Distortion and noise as reflected in THD+N or SINAD are the same (sans the run to run variation).

Even our noise floor at whopping 140 dB (as represented by FFT gain) is also the same.

Let's zoom in even more to see if there is a difference in ultrasonics or even deeper in the noise floor:
Topping D50s Toslink Input ifi DC iPurifier FFT Audio Measurements.png

Those tiny differences are just not material. If you look at the DAC differently you get such changes. :)

Let's get rid of our signal and boost the bandwidth to an incredible 1 MHz (1000 kHz) or 50 times our best case hearing range:

Topping D50s Toslink Input ifi DC iPurifier FFT Broadband noise floor Audio Measurements.png

There is no question the output of the DAC is remaining the same. As it should since DACs have their own internal filter for DC input. Indeed they regenerate the DC input to get the proper voltages they need internally.

Power Quality Measurements
Let's get rid of the DAC altogether and just hook up the USB power to the audio analyzer. Yes, I can do that but you should not do it with your audio gear or you will blow up your speakers good. Here is the comparison now:
USB Power Quality ifi DC Ipurifier filter Measurements.png

Now we see that the iPurifier is indeed cleaning up the USB power. It is lowering its noise and getting rid of fair amount of very high frequency spikes. Why did we not see this effect when testing with the DAC? Again, that is because the DAC was also performing this filtering so it did not benefit from it being beforehand. No decent DAC assumes USB power is clean.

Conclusions
As electronics and audio theory would tell us, a device like iPurifier does nothing useful for the sound you hear. Marketing material talks about what the device does as far as filtering. But nothing is shown as far as the measured impact on the output of an audio device. And rightfully so because there likely isn't any improvement.

Of course, if you bought this device and plugged it, you immediately hear better bass, more air, more microdynamics and resolution. All of that happens not because the device made these changes, but because when you focus on what a device does, you listen differently. When the sound waves coming out of an audio device has not changed, the only thing that must have, is your perception.

Needless to say, you should not waste your money on such tweaks. You can get a great DAC for the same price as this dongle that doesn't care about USB power quality.

At the risk of stating the obvious, I can not recommend the ifi DC iPurifier. If you have to throw away your money, give it to a needed charity.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Yes, we have a new pink panther model! Sadly it did not come cheap. Given its size and rarity, it required significant pocket change to acquire. I hope I can count on you all to offset that cost by donating what you can using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In fact it does clean. It purifies your wallet :).
But, maybe there is a need to test it with an adapter with "dirtier" output, who knows..

To everyone> Picture says it all, the situation is really bad. Beside Amir also the poor panther is short on money, so donating is essential.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Also it probably does not do anything against common mode currents either, which usually is the biggest source of weird noises.

For some devices that have a poor Power Supply Rejection Ratio and a very crappy wallwart the 30dB attenuation could well make a difference.
Not all devices depend on 5V USB which is known to be 'noisy' and as Amir mentioned should have proper filtering anyway.
In this case I would recommend to use a better power supply instead of trying to fix.

Only buy 'fixes' when something needs fixing and even then it is better to address the source than just using a 'fix'.

Last edited:

SDC

Butt my waifu can hear the difference in the monitor:(

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Anyone know if this device would help with noise I can hear from my Koss ESP/95X electrostatic headphones via the E/90X energizer?

Last edited:

Nango

Major Contributor
The very very final proof of that kind of gear is non-sense would be testing such an enhanced USB-PSU like the revised 2nd version of allo's @johan Shanti Linear Supercap PSU for little monies .....Allo folks pls send him one as you did with the other gears that tested well on his workbench, maybe this time it does great too!!!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Anyone know if this device would help with noise I can hear from my Koss ESP/95X electrostatic headphones via the E/90X energizer?

Any noise is most likely not coming from the external power supply but rather from the internal electronics or the bias voltage or the headphone itself (leaking bias voltage).

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
".. if you bought this device and plugged it, you immediately hear better bass, more air, more microdynamics and resolution. All of that happens not because the device made these changes, but because when you focus on what a device does, you listen differently. When the sound waves coming out of an audio device has not changed, the only thing that must have, is your perception."

Classic example of the reticular activating system at work.

https://medium.com/desk-of-van-schn...ular-activating-system-explained-761b6ac14e53

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is our Topping D50s with straight USB power as described above:

index.php

Note that there is half to 1 dB of variation in every snapshot of SINAD (metric of noise and distortion). I then inserted the ifi DC iPurifier in the path:
index.php

Not a thing has changed. Output voltages are identical at 1.973 and 1.961 volts (Right and Left). Frequency of the tone is right on the money at 1 kHz with 5 digits after the decimal point. Distortion and noise as reflected in THD+N or SINAD are the same (sans the run to run variation).
We do see that the 60Hz hump is slightly reduced; if you have any devices on hand that measured to have large power supply hums, it may be worthwhile to test this with those.

I doubt it would be audible, but still would be nice to see if it can make a measurable benefit at the output.

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course, if you bought this device and plugged it, you immediately hear better bass, more air, more microdynamics and resolution. All of that happens not because the device made these changes, but because when you focus on what a device does, you listen differently. When the sound waves coming out of an audio device has not changed, the only thing that must have, is your perception.
All reviewers should print this out and paste it on their speaker grill. Or memorize it. It is so obvious... yet it is the last thing most audio 'journalists' and reviewers recognize.

What is going on is not inside the amplifier, preamp, or DAC, but inside one's integrative cognitive faculty working out perceptual details--putting it all together in order to form an experiential whole or gestalt as it were.

That said, I would not discount subtle effects of environmental changes such as temperature or barometric pressure on our ears. I know that temperature can effect phono cartridges if you use them. I never heard whether any of that can affect speakers. There was some talk here and there of environmental changes changing the output of electrostatic speakers, but I can't say anything for sure. Certainly it wouldn't affect an amp or DAC, unless it was getting rained on! :rolleyes:

CharlesC

I would be interested in seeing all these "enhancement" devices tested with crap DACs. Testing them with excellent DACs doesn't seem fair, little room for improvement. FWIW

I have no desire to improve my D50s but I once owned a 1st generation Modi and it needed some help.

Last edited:

WesParker

I would be interested in seeing all these "enhancement" devices tested with crap DACs. Testing them with excellent DACs doesn't seem fair, little room for improvement. FWIW

I have no desire to improve my D50s but I once owned a 1st generation Modi and it needed some help.

The problem with that thought, is this thing costs $100...they've already precluded all the "crap dacs" from being in the chain here, unless you believe there are ton of consumers spending hundreds of dollars on "fixes" to their $25 audio equipment...

solderdude

Grand Contributor

The i-purifier costs about the same as the modi-3 which would be an upgrade in more than 1 aspect compared to the original modi.
In your case you solved the modi problem by buying the D50.

Top Bottom