• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp recommendation HD58X

poimandres

Guys I received my HD58X (thanks Solderdude for all of the help) from the drop and so far I am really enjoying them with the topping nx4.

I don’t feel like I am getting everything out of the Senns with the nx4 as I am able to turn the volume all the way up in either low or high gain and still listen to certain recordings through Spotify at the max level. NX4 is fed from an iPhone 8 at max level as well.

I am considering picking up a Geshelli or the Heresy. Looking for feedback on the pairing from folks that have one or the other and the Hd58x.

Thanks in advance.

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you feed the NX4 via USB rather than your phone's line out you should notice it being considerably louder. The NX4 has plenty of power but maybe not enough gain to make up for the relatively low voltage from the iPhone's line out. AFAIK the internal DAC will give the amp a full 2 volts which should help.

OP
P

poimandres

Thank you however I am not certain that I follow. I am connecting the nx4 via a micro usb to lightning adapter, is this considered line out?

garbulky

Major Contributor
Emotiva bas x a100. It’s what I use for my hd600 and hd700. It’s very powerful when you engage the jumpers. You won’t run out of power with them.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
100mW is on the low side of things when you want to get the max out of it.

Something like the Heresy, Magni3+ will probably help here.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The two new Schiit Magni amps would seem excellent options, or the JDS Labs Atom or Geshelli. They're all good amplifiers with bags of power for not a lot of money.

pwjazz

Forum Donor
Thank you however I am not certain that I follow. I am connecting the nx4 via a micro usb to lightning adapter, is this considered line out?

Ah, my mistake, I had assumed you were connecting the iPhone to the NX4 via 3.5mm cable. I listen to my HD58X straight from an LG V20 which is capable of the same 2 Vrms as the NX4 DSD and even accounting for replay gain and negative pre-gain for my EQ settings, I'm happy at about 60-70% volume.

The recommendations from @JJB70 sound good, the newer Schiit Magnis or the JDS Atom. I have the Atom and it's a great little amp. If you buy that, ask them to add extra ballast (weight) for you (no charge) and get yourself some proper grippy rubber feet for the bottom. I also replaced the plasticky volume knob with something metal, and the unit overall feels less flimsy than stock.

OP
P

poimandres

Ah, my mistake, I had assumed you were connecting the iPhone to the NX4 via 3.5mm cable. I listen to my HD58X straight from an LG V20 which is capable of the same 2 Vrms as the NX4 DSD and even accounting for replay gain and negative pre-gain for my EQ settings, I'm happy at about 60-70% volume.

The recommendations from @JJB70 sound good, the newer Schiit Magnis or the JDS Atom. I have the Atom and it's a great little amp. If you buy that, ask them to add extra ballast (weight) for you (no charge) and get yourself some proper grippy rubber feet for the bottom. I also replaced the plasticky volume knob with something metal, and the unit overall feels less flimsy than stock.
Thanks. I am leaning towards either the Geshelli or the Heresy. It appears that the Geshelli measures better but has less power. Do you listen to your setup on high gain?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I am leaning towards either the Geshelli or the Heresy. It appears that the Geshelli measures better but has less power. Do you listen to your setup on high gain?

Unless you have spectacularly inefficient and hard to drive headphones then you are going to reach volume levels which are a sure way to destroy your hearing long before running out of power with the Magni's, Geshelli or Atom.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless you have spectacularly inefficient and hard to drive headphones then you are going to reach volume levels which are a sure way to destroy your hearing long before running out of power with the Magni's, Geshelli or Atom.

+1

OP
P

poimandres

Thanks Guys. What dac would you recommend with the Geshelli? I suppose I could feed it from the nx4 for now.

pwjazz

Forum Donor

With the HD58X I use the Atom in low gain. For planars like the HE4XX I use it on high gain. Again though, I use a lot of DSP that ends up lowering gain in the digital domain.

If I were buying an amp now, the heresy looks mighty interesting because having that extra power leaves more options open down the line.

OP
P

poimandres

Thanks. Definitely want to try the Geshelli although the Heresy Modi stack looks nice as well.

Measurement wise how much better is the geshelli vs the heresy?

mkawa

I love the geshelli with my hd600. The su-8 v2 with the archell2.5 should be a great combo. Single ended, the d50s and the archell2 should be pretty ace. Sticking to portable devices, You could take line out from your nx4 and run it into a fiio a5

Timbo2

With the HD58X I use the Atom in low gain. For planars like the HE4XX I use it on high gain. Again though, I use a lot of DSP that ends up lowering gain in the digital domain.

If I were buying an amp now, the heresy looks mighty interesting because having that extra power leaves more options open down the line.

Same.

I have HD580s and HD6XXs. With a 2V source on anything but the softest classical or Jazz I've never found a need for high gain.

Top Bottom