• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Most Audiophool Thing You Own

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Stereophile is sane compared to Analog Planet or Audiostream.
One and the same. All little vomit streams coming from, (drum roll please)
THE ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The unit in my current avatar, its from like 1995, and highlighted in an audio magazine which is now long gone. It did cause a run on USA 6GW8 tubes and European ECL86 tubes (lots of folks built similar and clones) though which are now hard to find, but have plenty to last my lifetime.

Made as cheaply as possible to prove (and it does) that widebandwidth is not needed for good sound and because my other creation took way too long to put together but it is at the opposite of the spectrum.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The unit in my current avatar, its from like 1995, and highlighted in an audio magazine which is now long gone. It did cause a run on USA 6GW8 tubes and European ECL86 tubes (lots of folks built similar and clones) though which are now hard to find, but have plenty to last my lifetime.

Made as cheaply as possible to prove (and it does) that widebandwidth is not needed for good sound and because my other creation took way too long to put together but it is at the opposite of the spectrum.

What is it?

Last edited:

tomelex

Forum Donor
What is it and what the heck kind of super tall tubes are those?

It is a SET amplifier, each tube is about 3 inches tall and each has a triode and a pentode in it, they together make a two channel stereo amplifier, rated about 0.5Watts per channel. They might look taller in the little picture I guess. This is not hi-end, but proves a point and an old friend had wanted me to design an amplifier for his study for about $100 so after I was done he decided he would build his own and wanted instructions and so it evolved from there, remember, this is when the internet was just starting to fill up with articles on audio etc.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
It is a SET amplifier, each tube is about 3 inches tall and each has a triode and a pentode in it, they together make a two channel stereo amplifier, rated about 0.5Watts per channel. They might look taller in the little picture I guess. This is not hi-end, but proves a point and an old friend had wanted me to design an amplifier for his study for about $100 so after I was done he decided he would build his own and wanted instructions and so it evolved from there, remember, this is when the internet was just starting to fill up with articles on audio etc.

LOL, okay that beats my nutty phono stage.

What's the rest of the circuit and what kind speakers did he hook it up to, given the 0.5 watts...

tomelex

Forum Donor
see attached, can power any speaker of about 90 db or more, drives 90db speakers plenty loud for a small room, such as a study. Best for background levels or a bit more too.

Attachments

• 2017-01-02_16-00-23.pdf
    132.8 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine is probably in this avatar picture too. It is a Goldmund Reference Turntable with T3f arm. I have owned it over 25 years, it was the Goldmund Europe distributor's unit and he sold it to me when Golmund stopped making turntables.
Alternatively it could be my Tune Audio Anima speakers, the mid-range horn of which is also partly in the Avatar picture. 109dB/watt full range horn (it does fall away below 40Hz so not really full range.

Ronm1

Shakti stones
One on ext dac's
Other on external cd pwr supply

Forgot Qs symphony pro

Last edited:

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Moderately expensive Van den Hul-cables. Back from when I had no technical understanding of audio, and believed what I read in magazines and heard in shops. I thought at the time that the bass in my room was too boomy. Went to a hifi shop and explained the problem. Got the advice that I should try some cables from Van den Hul, as they had more "control over the bass". I gave it some thought, and slowly became convinced. "Hm. Ok. Seems legit".

Still have them though, as they have a nice white finish which blends well with the furniture in my living room.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Moderately expensive Van den Hul-cables. Back from when I had no technical understanding of audio, and believed what I read in magazines and heard in shops. I thought at the time that the bass in my room was too boomy. Went to a hifi shop and explained the problem. Got the advice that I should try some cables from Van den Hul, as they had more "control over the bass". I gave it some thought, and slowly became convinced. "Hm. Ok. Seems legit".

Still have them though, as they have a nice white finish which blends well with the furniture in my living room.

Do cables become "obsolete" as new cables come to market?

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do cables become "obsolete" as new cables come to market?

Probably!

Joking aside, I think this cable probably is a tiny bit technically inferior compared with thicker el cheapo cables for my use, as I have lengths of 8-9 meters. And I don't like - as a matter of principle - to have stupid products at home. But they look good!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They will give you your money back if you DONT become a big star in Hollywood, end up having an affair with Scarlett Johanson and start to communicate with extraterrestrials after using them.

I might settle for communicating with Scarlett Johanson.

Top Bottom