• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurements of HoloAudio Azure

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
After measuring Spring and May, I became very interested in HoloAudio products. I also tried to contact the developer if they could lend me a preamp / headphone amplifier (Holo Audio Azure) for me to measure.But he refused, saying: Azure is not a measurement-based device. He has no confidence in the measurement results of this device.

His rejection actually made me more interested ...

So, I tried to borrow this device among my friends ... luckily, I borrowed it!

Tremble HoloAudio ~

Front.jpg

Rear.jpg

The overall build quality is good and the surface feels good (but considering the price of $ 1599, I'm actually not satisfied-I'm really harsh).

The display part is very simple (but easy to read), and it has balanced and unbalanced outputs as a headphone amplifier. The encoder knob feels good on the surface but the damping is slightly insufficient.

By the way, there is a serious complaint: Although the (aluminum alloy) remote control feels OK when held in your hand, the slightly loose button and the sound of pressing it are really not worth a $ 1599 device!

The rear view makes me even more dissatisfied. There are not enough input and output interfaces, and it can be said that there is almost no audio source switching function. I'm not happy about this (I often have 5-6 or more audio sources and want to switch easily). Heck, what's the situation when the preamp has no multi-input switching capability!

Okay, obviously I'm not the target user of it.

Let's measure

Line-4V-Dashboard.jpg

I set the volume to 85 (MAX=100)so that the input and output voltages in the front stage are basically the same.
We can see that under the condition of 4VRMS, SINAD is only about 113. But look at the FFT part ... Wow! There is almost no harmonic distortion? !! The main problem is the power noise ...

Let's take a look at SINAD at 10VRMS (as if 17.9V is the maximum output):
Line10VDashboard.jpg

Amazing!I'm going crazy ... Harmonic distortion performance is so good, why don't they do a good job of power supply noise? !!

Take a look at the volume part. The channel balance is also very good, but the attenuation is a bit insufficient. It may be difficult to listen to low volume with some high gain Poweramps:

Volume.jpg

Volume-SINAD--_-Smooth.jpg

Dynamic range at highest output: (unweighted)

Line-Dynamic-Range---No.jpg

Line-THD+N-Ratio.jpg

Line-SMPTE-Ratio.jpg

THD+N@4V
Line-4V-THD+N-Ratio.jpg

THD@4V
Line-4V-THD-Ratio.jpg

THD+N@10V:
Line-10V-THD+N-Ratio.jpg

THD@10V
Line-10-V-THD-Ratio.jpg

IMDSMP:
Line-SMPTE-Ratio.jpg

Multitone@4V
Line-Multitone.jpg

Headphone amplifier part:
HPLDash1W.jpg

HPHLash300R-700mw.jpg

THD+N@50R Low Output impedance:
50R-THD+N-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level.jpg

THD+N@300R High Output impedance:
HP-Hi-300RLoad-SMPTE-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level.jpg

300R-HP-Multitone.jpg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Aside from the hum seems a good device.
I wonder how devices that are measurement based will be measuring. ;)

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Really impressive. Sad that the PSU pulls down the absolute result, but impressive nonetheless.

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Thanks Wolf. Impressive but is there a lot of people these days in the need of a preamplifier?
I believe that not everyone needs a preamp, but I can be sure that there is still a market for preamps.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I believe that not everyone needs a preamp, but I can be sure that there is still a market for preamps.
You're right. I am selling all the nice audiophile gear accumulated during years and years. I was wondering why people do buy this gear. Maybe because do they not know (they don't read this website) and they imagine special properties behind the front plate. Now, with your measurements and the ones from Amir, we know. Thank you and an "happy occidental new year". BTW we spent 2 years recently in China and it was 2 beautiful years to discover the China and Chinese people.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Wolf. Impressive but is there a lot of people these days in the need of a preamplifier?
If you have a power amp and a DAC without volume control for instance.
I wouldn't pay more than 100$ for a preamp though.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If Jeff Koons designed it or if it has 100 inputs and 200 outputs I might reconsider.

Tks

Major Contributor
Why would they be averse to measurements? Their device did good, look at those distortion metrics, phenomenal.

These companies are so weird..

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
And a beautiful looking piece of equipment this is! Stunning internal aesthetic.
Looking good indeed, though they might want to beef up the power supply shielding. See how one channel shows a staggering ten decibels lower worth of hum.

The fact that its developer appears to be averse to measurements doesn't inspire confidence, however.

Also are those solid wood (not veneer) side panels?

bunkbail

Forum Donor
Why would they be averse to measurements? Their device did good, look at those distortion metrics, phenomenal.

These companies are so weird..
Because this is a headphone amp first, preamp second. The distortion products for the headamp section don't look too impressive to me.

Veri

Master Contributor
Because this is a headphone amp first, preamp second. The distortion products for the headamp section don't look too impressive to me.
Multitone is good though!

Tks

Major Contributor

Welp, still got measured, and they look all the worse for it. Worse because of their cowardice, and worse because it really wasn't as awful as one might've thought from such an aversion to not have your product measured.

Hemi-Demon

I just watched a video review of the 789, and it claimed the Azure amp was far superior.

Here is his review of the Azure

Of course he also rates the Audio-GD Master9 rather highly too, sooo take it for what it is worth

Again it seems some people just prefer that significant spike in the 2nd and 3rd harmonic.

Nice review WolfX700

TungstenC

Azure is not a measurement-based device. He has no confidence in the measurement results of this device.
Makes one wonder a measurement-based device that they had confidence in the results.

thonking.png

Also are those solid wood (not veneer) side panels?
It looks like a solid chunk of brushed copper to me.

*EDIT
"As seems to be typical for Holo Audio, the build of the Azure is substantial and exudes luxury - using a heavy, all-metal, black-aluminum case/chassis with solid copper side-cheeks." https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/holo-audio-azure-headphone-amplifier-pre-amp-review

Top Bottom