• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for Center Channel Design

MrPotatoHead

I built a pair of Zaph ZD5 speakers and am now looking for a center channel speaker design. I contacted Madisound about the ZA5.3c kit they sell (keeping it in the Zaph family) and they immediately deflected me to a home-grown design. I could build another ZD5 but it's a vertical design and I'm looking for something that's intended to be mounted horizontally (where the current one is located below the TV).

I'm planning to build my own enclosure.

Got any experience with DIY center channel speakers?

Attachments

• Zaph ZD5-1.jpg
    Zaph ZD5-1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 348
  • Zaph ZD5-2.jpg
    Zaph ZD5-2.jpg
    1,016.7 KB · Views: 402

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I would highly recommend building another ZD5 but in the .50 cu.ft. enclosure which, judging from the two floorstanders at R/L, should fit under the screen. It will match them and image better than any 2-way center channel build.

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You could build a d appolito configuration which is also visually good to put under the screen.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I would simply lay a ZD5 on the side and put a grille in front of it if you don't like the looks.

The symmetrical center speakers that are often sold (D'Appolito / MTM lying on the side) are actually a very bad idea. It will create nulls off axis in the horizontal pane, exactly where people sit (on the couch outside the sweet spot). The only way to get a symmetrical looking center that actually works would be 2 1/2 way design.

Without measuring equipment and knowing how to use it, you'll have no chance of developing something like this yourself.

It's much simpler to simply flip a standard ZD5 on the side.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I agree standing it up would be the best way, but if the speaker is on the side, it's still much better than the MTM configuration. Yes, the lobing will be somewhat tilted towards the woofer, but at least the big nulls off-axis will be avoided.

Let me rephrase what I wanted to say: If I had to have a center lying on the side, I'd prefer a classic 2 way over an MTM design. If there's space for it and the classic center on the side look is not desired, ofc you're right.

OP
MrPotatoHead

MrPotatoHead

In the ZA5.3c design, the designer has addressed the lobing and states, "The result is a horizontal MTM with a forward listening window of about 50 degrees from side to side."

But, you all have me thinking that a center ZD5 is the way to go. When I ordered my ZD5 crossovers from Madisound, they had a wiring error on each side and they mounted the components label side down which didn't instill confidence. Maybe I'll build my own this time.

New question: the current center channel is mostly recessed into my fireplace which isn't ideal, I'm sure. What do you think of that?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
New question: the current center channel is mostly recessed into my fireplace which isn't ideal, I'm sure. What do you think of that?
Not a problem, imho.

Top Bottom