• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are the best headphones you would recommend in the $100-$250 range? What headphones do you have?

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That's great praise!

The HD6X0 line of Sennheisers (in which I include the HD58X) just sounds "right" to me. They have flaws (HD600 a bit lacking in sub-bass and a bit shouty in the upper mids, HD58X a bit grainy in the treble) but I have yet to find something that addresses the flaws without losing that "natural" sound. I tried out a Focal Elex for a bit and it came close, but wasn't quite for me. I've got a Verum One on the way (theoretically anyway, there's been zero communication from the manufacturer) and I have some hopes for that, but we'll see.

Crazy_Nate

I'd say take a close look at the K7xx and HD 6xx headphones. Both are amazing values. I'd say the k7xx is a little more detail oriented and the 6xx is more well rounded. I'd say I'm more impressed with the 6xx build and comfort than the k7xx (the headband took a long time to stop digging into my skull, despite the light weight). Can't go wrong with either. :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What are the best headphones you would recommend in the $100-200 range (or £80-£160)? For a person who listens mainly to classical music and jazz music?

I use the open back Sennheiser HD 598 SR. They are on sale @ Amazon when in stock for ~$99.00 on the big sale days and the rest of the time they are about $199.00 in Canada. Those prices are pretty good considering they retail for $300.00 in Canada They come with 2 headphone cables. One longer cable is for a 1/4" jack and the second shorter cable is for your cel tel c/w a inline microphone that works well. The durable feeling cable on them is not microphonic when rubbing against your clothing or your fingers. I've been using them for 17 months and have no complaints regarding construction. They are very light, very comfortable on the ears and being open back they vent well for a day's listening to music or fragging baddies on the PC. I find them so comfortable that I can wear them for several hours and forget they are on. The ear pads are very comfortable while I am wearing my glasses. I tested them on my cel tel and they worked wonderfully. I mostly use them connected to my PC's ASUS motherboard with SupremeFX S1220A CODEC. They are ~50 Ohms. There are readily available cables and different types of leatherishy stuff and velour ear pads on ebay for them if you need parts.
https://en-ca.sennheiser.com/headphone-home-audio-hifi-stereo-hd-598sr
s-l640.jpg

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1MORE Triple Driver Over-Ear

-Build quality - (lot of metal, bit of hard plastic, synthetic leather)
-Comfort. - Surprisingly very light !!,
-Portability. - I am using them on the go with LG V30+ (usb player app)
-Sound Quality = clean, sharp, feels like surround (maybe thanks to double drivers). Bananas !!!! :D (Check reviews on You Tube)
-Price: Month ago I have seen them for 99£ !!!

Recently got HE4XX, and SMSL 500m. This pair sounds fantastic. But it's home use only.
Mainly I am listening to metal, rock, and classical music. This headphones doing a great job.
CONS: like for me visual design is to futuristic.
* This headphones need more juice than factory recommendation

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1MORE-Head...rtphones-Silver/dp/B0798TVDVJ?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I have a pair of these. They had been my goto travel headphones for awhile. I think they are a step up from the popular M50X. 99£ is a great price for that headphone.

Now I'm using the Sennheiser HD-1 (same as Momentum 2). Improves just a little on what the 1More's do, although I'd say a little less bass. But I would not pay substantially more for them.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Keep your eyes open for a deal on Senheisser HD650. They are classics that you never grow tired of. ;)

Budgeter

If you highly value comfort of headphones, you may take a look at Audio Technica ATH AD-*00X series. Personally, I would say there aren't many cans in this price range can compare with ATH in term of comfort. I find it weird since it is hardly ever mentioned in discussion like this.

General view about SQ:
  1. Anemic bass.
  2. Work well for classical music, though I'm not sure about jazz.
  3. Insane sound stage with decent imaging.
  4. Mid-treb forward, with slight sibilance.
  5. Pretty articulate.
  6. Really easy to drive.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1MORE Triple Driver Over-Ear

-Build quality - (lot of metal, bit of hard plastic, synthetic leather)
-Comfort. - Surprisingly very light !!,
-Portability. - I am using them on the go with LG V30+ (usb player app)
-Sound Quality = clean, sharp, feels like surround (maybe thanks to double drivers). Bananas !!!! :D (Check reviews on You Tube)
-Price: Month ago I have seen them for 99£ !!!

Recently got HE4XX, and SMSL 500m. This pair sounds fantastic. But it's home use only.
Mainly I am listening to metal, rock, and classical music. This headphones doing a great job.
CONS: like for me visual design is to futuristic.
* This headphones need more juice than factory recommendation

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1MORE-Head...rtphones-Silver/dp/B0798TVDVJ?ref_=ast_sto_dp
Sadly, I cant stand on-ear (despite their name). If they made a true over-ear, I’d be so interested.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The OP is in the UK, rather than go for the Drop HD6xx I would recommend keeping an eye open for HD650/HD660S offers. They are regularly discounted by local dealers and if you don't mind B stock the Sennheiser outlet store regularly has excellent offers on these. By the time you pay 20% VAT plus customs handling and international shipping people over here won't save much compared to just buying a regular HD650/660. And you have the comfort of local consumer rights.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just had a look, no HD600 or HD650 on the Sennheiser outlet, but HD660S for £262 with free postage. It is always worth keeping an eye on their outlet.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Isn't that deal called HD6xx on Drop?
I'm not positive. When faced with a situation such as this I always lean towards the "real thing".
It's like buying a "factory reconditioned/refurbished" component. Everything supposted to be identical to buying new but if I can get a brand new sealed box for just a bit more I sleep better.
But that's just me. ;)

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not positive. When faced with a situation such as this I always lean towards the "real thing".
It's like buying a "factory reconditioned/refurbished" component. Everything supposted to be identical to buying new but if I can get a brand new sealed box for just a bit more I sleep better.
But that's just me. ;)

No. The HD6XX is not like buying a "factory reconditioned/refurbished" headphone. These are special edition headphones specifically manufactured for drop.com. They have numerous models like that. Some are sonically the same as the original. Other models are slightly different.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Some are sonically the same as the original. Other models are slightly different.
Understood, so if I want a set of 650 cans, that's what I'll buy, not a questionmark. ;)

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Understood, so if I want a set of 650 cans, that's what I'll buy, not a questionmark. ;)

Either you don't understand, or are you just being an ass about it. That is the question mark.

The HD6XX are sonically the same as HD650. It is some of the other drop special edition models that are different from the headphones from which they were derived, K7XX and HD58X being examples.

OP
BobbyTimmons

BobbyTimmons

The OP is in the UK, rather than go for the Drop HD6xx I would recommend keeping an eye open for HD650/HD660S offers. They are regularly discounted by local dealers and if you don't mind B stock the Sennheiser outlet store regularly has excellent offers on these. By the time you pay 20% VAT plus customs handling and international shipping people over here won't save much compared to just buying a regular HD650/660. And you have the comfort of local consumer rights.
Thanks what kind of local dealers do you recommend? I'm a Richer Sounds fanboy, but they aren't very good for headphone choices...

Last edited:
OP
BobbyTimmons

BobbyTimmons

Just had a look, no HD600 or HD650 on the Sennheiser outlet, but HD660S for £262 with free postage. It is always worth keeping an eye on their outlet.
Do you recommend buying from them? Have you tried such second-hand/refurbishments and what was your experience with them?

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you recommend buying from them? Have you tried such second-hand/refurbishments and what was your experience with them?
Headphones are a personal thingy and should be purchased new whenever possible ;) Hygiene reasons.

Top Bottom