• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are the best headphones you would recommend in the $100-$250 range? What headphones do you have?

BobbyTimmons

What are the best headphones you would recommend in the $100-$250 range? For a person who listens mainly to classical music and jazz music?

I had a pair of Grado SR-80, but they broke after a few months - so personally, I'll avoid Grados. I already have Sennheiser HD 599 (for use with my digital piano) and Bose QC-35 for blocking out noises on the train. I'd be interested in getting some better pairs for home listening.

(Update - I got the Hifiman HE400i for a bit over $200)

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What are the best headphones you would recommend in the $100-200 range (or £80-£160)? For a person who listens mainly to classical music and jazz music?

I had a pair of Grado SR-80, but they broke after a few months - so personally, I'll avoid Grados.

'best headphones' as in do not break easily, are most comfortable to wear, on-ear or over-ear, driven from portable gear or desktop or 'best sounding' ?
If the latter than you will get 20 different recommendations and some of the recommendations won't be pleasing to you.

When you liked the piercing Grado sound you could look into Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition. Cheap, comfy, durable but may need the 32 Ohm version.
But it is not as forward as the Grado and has more bass.

bequietjk

What is most important to you in a headphone?

-Build quality.
-Comfort.
-Portability.
-Use. How do you see yourself using this pair of cans?

And of course, sound quality. What do you look for in sound presentation?

Probably most importantly... What type of setup are you using? What is your chain of hardware?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
From what I have tried, I think the (Mass)Drop HE4XX is pretty good for Classical. You can reversibly remove the outer grill and see if you like it that way too. I actually like it better after modifying the grill.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From what I have tried, I think the (Mass)Drop HE4XX is pretty good for Classical. You can reversibly remove the outer grill and see if you like it that way too. I actually like it better after modifying the grill.

Is Massdrop still shipping to the UK? Couple weeks ago, they were having a fire sale because they were shutting down their EU warehouse.

Celty

Not at all long ago I was in the same decision making process. I read a lot, watched reviews, etc.. I decided to get the HD6XX and HE4XX. I think both are very good, but if I had to choose just one, it would be the HD6XX. The sound is excellent for a wide variety of musical genres, and for me, they are more comfortable. I apply a tad of EQ to get them just as I like them.

I would suggest a decent amplifier to bring out their potential - that goes for the HE4XX as well.

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you shop around you will probably be able to get the Audio Technica ATH MSR7. Well made, easy to drive and pretty portable. Sound is a little bright but not overly so (nothing like Grado or some of the Beyerdynamic peaks) and very revealing. They are superb headphones which fly below most radars and which punch way above their modest price in terms of SQ.
Another excellent model within your budget is the AKG K712, it is bulky and not very portable but very comfortable and with a lovely sound signature.
If you are in the UK I am not sure Mass makes much sense. For example if you look at the Drop Sennheiser models, by the time you add 20% VAT plus customs handling and shipping you end up being able to buy the regular HD600 or HD650 for around the same or not much more and can find the HD660S for not that much more and have far superior warranty peace of mind from a dealer over here.

darkson1984

1MORE Triple Driver Over-Ear

-Build quality - (lot of metal, bit of hard plastic, synthetic leather)
-Comfort. - Surprisingly very light !!,
-Portability. - I am using them on the go with LG V30+ (usb player app)
-Sound Quality = clean, sharp, feels like surround (maybe thanks to double drivers). Bananas !!!! :D (Check reviews on You Tube)
-Price: Month ago I have seen them for 99£ !!!

Recently got HE4XX, and SMSL 500m. This pair sounds fantastic. But it's home use only.
Mainly I am listening to metal, rock, and classical music. This headphones doing a great job.
CONS: like for me visual design is to futuristic.
* This headphones need more juice than factory recommendation

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1MORE-Head...rtphones-Silver/dp/B0798TVDVJ?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Svperstar

Sennheiser HD58X is my recommendation for a solid headphone under $200. Also if you get lucky you can get the original HD580 on Ebay for cheap, it was discontinued years ago but Sennheiser still sells all the parts so you can make it like new. I just refurbed mine a couple months ago.

The difference between the 650/6XX and the rest of the line is such a overdone topic that it has its own emote on HeadFi, basically if you have the HD580/58X you don't really need to upgrade since the whole family sounds very similar to each other.

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sennheiser HD58X is my recommendation

I second that. After getting the HD58X I sold my LCD2C and DT1990. Both of them did certain things better than the HD58X and certain things worse. With the HD58X I can put my whole library on shuffle and everything sounds at least good and at best great.

Veri

Master Contributor
I second that. After getting the HD58X I sold my LCD2C and DT1990. Both of them did certain things better than the HD58X and certain things worse. With the HD58X I can put my whole library on shuffle and everything sounds at least good and at best great.
That's great praise!

Robin L

Master Contributor
'best headphones' as in do not break easily, are most comfortable to wear, on-ear or over-ear, driven from portable gear or desktop or 'best sounding' ?
If the latter than you will get 20 different recommendations and some of the recommendations won't be pleasing to you.

When you liked the piercing Grado sound you could look into Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition. Cheap, comfy, durable but may need the 32 Ohm version.
But it is not as forward as the Grado and has more bass.
Have you auditioned the AKG 167? Presence range hump, mid-bass hump, easy to power as it's about 35 ohms, not the most comfortable but not the least either, isolates well. It's a $200 headphone that B + H sells for $50. I saw your review of the Sennheiser HD 599, think you got it right. Like the Sennheisers for various reasons, particularly comfort. But prefer the sound of the AKGs.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is Massdrop still shipping to the UK? Couple weeks ago, they were having a fire sale because they were shutting down their EU warehouse.
They still ship to the UK from US (with obvious taxes and customs etc), no idea about the EU warehouse but I saw the fire sale too. Never bought any EU stuff as limited selection. Interestingly, they will not ship the Focal collab back to EU, which is annoying!

Top Bottom