• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's your headphone system end game?

Celty

Ron Texas started a general "What is your dream system?" thread. I thought I would start one specific to headphones, DAC, Amp, etc... So whats on your list?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sennheiser HD 820 is the goal I'm shooting for. Retails in Canada for $3499.95
https://en-ca.sennheiser.com/high-end-headphones-audiophiles-hd-820
The pic is a model and not me.
sennheiser_hd820_vladsavov211.jpg

monkeyboy

I think I have mine
Cans: Beyer T1.2, 1990, PSB M4U1 (at work)
Amp: JDS Element
DAC: Topping D50
DAP - Cowon P1 (not problem pushing either headphone)

I don't think I'd buy another set of headphones, if I want to modify the sound, I'd just add a bit of EQ.

With modern EQ, I'm starting to think the raw Freq Resp isn't all that important, just get something close to your preference. I think dynamics and distortion might be a better metrics

Same with full size speakers, I'm not sure you need an absolutely flat response, other metrics are probably more important

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Well, so far, I am perfectly happy with an LG V20 streamer/DAC, Liquid Spark, and HE400i.

The LS has enough power to drive the HE400i with plenty of headroom. The V20, 'tricked' into it's 2v ' hi impedance' mode, lets me use the LS in low gain mode, still with plenty of headroom.

My source is 'always' Amazon Music HD, where virtually everything I listen to is 16/44.1. 96db dynamic range is provided by this setup. Fine by me.

As always, I suffer from 'upgrade-itus' - and the Heresy is calling with it's lower distortion and even more HE 400i headroom. If buying now, I would get the Heresy. But the LS has its merits - beautiful built. Plenty of power. And no distortion that I can hear anyway.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Like @Doodski said, the Sennheiser HD820.

Would be driven by a Benchmark HPA4.

I'd also like an HD800S. Haven't decided on an endgame planar.

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
AKG K371. And I’m done.

(I also use JBL Everest 110 for on the go use. Wireless, good isolation, convenient and very good)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an itch for a Sennheiser. Never had one. Because of ASR , I no longer think about spending more than $1000 in headphones. HD800 second hand? Mr Speakers Aeon closed?
Current headphones are in order of preference, not of usage...
Hifi HE6
Stax SR-007 and Stax SS Amp
Hifiman HE560

I think in term of headphones I am very close to end of game. I wouldn't mind an amp capable of driving the HE6 to its full potential. Atom works but I think I need a more powerful amp... Lingering subjective tendencies perhaps.
I also have a Koss ESL Old model, needs refurbishing, Can't find it at the moment :)

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Benchmark HPA4 driving a set of Qualia 010.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cost no object and with the premium looks and feel:

DAC: dCS Vivaldi with Vivaldi Master Clock
Preamp: Benchmark LA4
Amp: 2x Benchmark AHB2 monoblocks
HP: RAAL SR1a with RIbbon/amp interface

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have my end game main headphone system DAC, the RME ADI-2 DAC, and my iFi iCan Pro amp is powerful enough to drive any of my cans to ear bleeding levels (and the HE6se to pretty loud levels), and I love it, but the SMSL SP200 gives it a run for it's money, and is just so transparent sounding. And it's a shitload cheaper, lol.
I can't seem to pick an endgame pair of headphones.

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed. I've never heard both SR1a and the HE-1 but I'm surmising it would give a unique soundstage experience for a headphone given the driver technology as I'm a sucker for soundstage :)

SDC

I want a realiser and a nice headphone. But not really sure what is nice.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I have mine
Cans: Beyer T1.2, 1990, PSB M4U1 (at work)
Amp: JDS Element
DAC: Topping D50
DAP - Cowon P1 (not problem pushing either headphone)

I don't think I'd buy another set of headphones, if I want to modify the sound, I'd just add a bit of EQ.
I second that, with an RME ADI-2 PRO fs and a Sennheiser HD800 - end game reached.

Top Bottom