• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
What I meant is that when Topping products reaches RME price, they will be even better, so why ppl keep comparing current $600 product with a $1000 product. Weird :/
Probably because they can, who knows...:)
But this was since ages, so you can't stop them from doing compares, it's probably in human's nature to compare a Renault Clio with a Lamborgini.

Last edited:

Silvera

Slowly but firmly entering ADI-2 DAC price levels, and digging their own grave! Considering D90 has no headphone amp its price is above the RME.

It doesn't look the part like the ADI does either.

sonci

Great performance, I agree that this is not chi-fi any more. I don’t need any more dac but if it was 150-200$ cheaper I could give a shot to the new AKM chip. I wonder what the cost of the unit is, still the case should be the most expensive part, so a diy board like the Khadas would be great for trying the new chip.

chasefrench

I would also love to see the BT and RCA measurements! Unfortunately, the XLRs will likely connect to active monitors and the RCAs to a 789.

I wish manufacturers would add two sets of balanced xlr outputs as I think this setup is gaining popularity.

Is there any scientific analysis of whether passive xlr switches make things worse? I would love a comparison of the something like the d90 (or any tier one dac) with and without a little bear xlr switch in the chain?!

Thanks for the great work, Hifi has been such a subjective issue for so long that breaking it down to pure numbers is far more agreeable to my brain!

Sunship

There is almost too much to chose from. From a D50 or even a Khadas upward there are many great DACs that measure perfectly and with either AKM or ESS.

But. They’re all a bit samey and all lack an analog-in. I’m surprised that no one has a go at it as it transforms the possibilities of the DAC if you have one analog source. If you listen to vinyl, all these DACs will need a preamp, finding a preamp that can pass all that goodness onto the amplifier will be very costly. Lots of preamps will chop a good chunk of performance.

Even a so-so Line-in for occasionally playing a few LPs would be very useful.

I’m waiting for a Matrix SABRE or D90 with Benchmark’s HGC volume control. (Or a Benchmark DAC4 with CNC case and ever-so-slightly raised performance :)

veeceem

@Sunship A DAC itself receives digital input and output analog, most uses the chip's digital volume afaik. DSP/Preamp fuction/volume control are bonuses.
Isn't adding analog-in then make it a Preamp with a DAC instead of a [standalone DAC (with bonuses as mentioned above)]. The price will then be raised higher. What you've mentioned, imo, is a "Preamp with a good DAC which also has a good preamp section to play analog-in sources and have reasonable price which is a dream of everyone" instead?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,
Which preamp would you recommend after a D90?

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi,
WolfX measured the new Gustard pre-amp which looks good:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-gustard-p26-preamplifier.10492/

Amir is being sent a Schiit Saga S:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...cision-apx555-test-results.10479/#post-289735
but that review will take a while (Amir mentioned being 4 to 6 weeks behind).

if you wait a bit you might get a clearer picture of the best pre-amp measured on ASR.

Max

Forum Donor
Hi,

The first answer/question would be : do you need a preamp ? If just for connecting the d90 and adjusting the volume before the power amp, it is not really needed. For any other good reason (multi-source, etc.), the Gustard P26 seems good :
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-gustard-p26-preamplifier.10492/

Same price range, very well measuring. You lost some dB but if really needed, it does well the job

gpauk

Slowly but firmly entering ADI-2 DAC price levels, and digging their own grave! Considering D90 has no headphone amp its price is above the RME.

Seems quite a difference - $700 vs $1000 for the adi-2? Or are you seeing better prices than that?

Sunship

@Sunship A DAC itself receives digital input and output analog, most uses the chip's digital volume afaik. DSP/Preamp fuction/volume control are bonuses.
Isn't adding analog-in then make it a Preamp with a DAC instead of a [standalone DAC (with bonuses as mentioned above)]. The price will then be raised higher. What you've mentioned, imo, is a "Preamp with a good DAC which also has a good preamp section to play analog-in sources and have reasonable price which is a dream of everyone" instead?

Not sure how what you’re saying is different from what I’m saying.
Look at the Benchmark DAC3 it has digital volume control on the digital path and analog volume control on the analog-in. It also has passive jumpers to perfectly match the digital output to your amp.

The whole design is so perfect I wish there were other options.
Of course if you don’t use any analog source all these DACs are great but it’s a shame to have to connect them to a conventional analog preamp if you need a turntable.

Last edited:

Snafu

Hi,

Haven't seen it measured, but i got Denafrips Hestia and looks like it has similar in/out put as mentioned Gustard.
https://www.vinshineaudio.com/product-page/denafrips-hestia-preamp

Technical Highlights
Pure Class-A, True Balanced, Fully Discrete Line Stage
85 Steps Microprocessor Controlled Relay Based Stepped Attenuator
Precision Matched Resistors & Components with Perfect Channel Balance And Low Distortion
Remote Controlled

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Not sure how what you’re saying is different from what I’m saying.
Look at the Benchmark DAC3 it has digital volume control on the digital path and analog volume control on the analog-in. It also has passive jumpers to perfectly match the digital output to your amp.

The whole design is so perfect I wish there were other options.
Of course if you don’t use any analog source all these DACs are great but it’s a shame to have to connect them to a conventional analog preamp if you need a turntable.
Heard about the RME ADI-2 Pro Fs?

Top Bottom