• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Normal that 'windows sound' also plays while using foobar?

letsgoo

I am using various of Topping Devices.
D10, Dx3Pro and also Dx7S.

At least on D10 and Dx3Pro I have the same problem, that the windows sound(like notification sound or also youtube etc.) is also being played while listening music via Foobar. I of course already selected the output as ASIO foo_dsd_asio. The same thing also happens when I choose ASIO Topping USB Audio Device.
Foobar only has the standalone mode when I choose DS-Topping USB or WASAPI but not ASIO.

But Foobar really plays directly because even I change my volume on Windows, the music continues to being played with untouched volume.
I also chose for windows sound 32bit 44.1Khz and that are same but as I know Windows should "stop" sending its own sound when I use foobar.
I already tested it on 2 different PCs but the same result.

What am I doing wrong?
I of course can choose for Windows sound a other output or different PCM value but I also am "worrying" that my DAC is not playing the "untouched direct" sound.
I hope this is the right forum for that, if not please move it to the right one. :)

Wish you guys a nice day!

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
I am using various of Topping Devices.
D10, Dx3Pro and also Dx7S.

At least on D10 and Dx3Pro I have the same problem, that the windows sound(like notification sound or also youtube etc.) is also being played while listening music via Foobar. I of course already selected the output as ASIO foo_dsd_asio. The same thing also happens when I choose ASIO Topping USB Audio Device.
Foobar only has the standalone mode when I choose DS-Topping USB or WASAPI but not ASIO.

But Foobar really plays directly because even I change my volume on Windows, the music continues to being played with untouched volume.
I also chose for windows sound 32bit 44.1Khz and that are same but as I know Windows should "stop" sending its own sound when I use foobar.
I already tested it on 2 different PCs but the same result.

What am I doing wrong?
I of course can choose for Windows sound a other output or different PCM value but I also am "worrying" that my DAC is not playing the "untouched direct" sound.
I hope this is the right forum for that, if not please move it to the right one. :)

Wish you guys a nice day!
Sound manager/properties/advanced/exclusive mode

jcadduono

This is normal for some ASIO drivers. WASAPI exclusive will get you real exclusive bit perfect audio though. I think when ASIO is in use, the topping driver will mix windows audio into the ASIO signal, by resampling windows and mixing it in, but only while windows audio is playing, so it is still bit perfect as long as it's the only thing playing sound.
If the ASIO latency is set low enough, you will probably hear crackling in all the Windows audio while playing things using ASIO because the mixer in the driver can't keep up with the target latency, but the content being sent to ASIO directly will still sound fine with no crackling.
Shared ASIO is weird.

OP
L

letsgoo

This is normal for some ASIO drivers. WASAPI exclusive will get you real exclusive bit perfect audio though. I think when ASIO is in use, the topping driver will mix windows audio into the ASIO signal, by resampling windows and mixing it in, but only while windows audio is playing, so it is still bit perfect as long as it's the only thing playing sound.
If the ASIO latency is set low enough, you will probably hear crackling in all the Windows audio while playing things using ASIO because the mixer in the driver can't keep up with the target latency, but the content being sent to ASIO directly will still sound fine with no crackling.
Shared ASIO is weird.

Ok, thank you. But no idea why, on 1 pc, it is not happening as I know... Whatever......
But if it's still "almost perfect" it's ok. Thanks for the answer.

jcadduono

Ok, thank you. But no idea why, on 1 pc, it is not happening as I know... Whatever......
But if it's still "almost perfect" it's ok. Thanks for the answer.
Check to see if they are using different bit rates or sample rates, the ASIO driver may only be mixing and not resampling, so it might discard windows audio if the sample rate is different from the ASIO source.

OP
L

letsgoo

Check to see if they are using different bit rates or sample rates, the ASIO driver may only be mixing and not resampling, so it might discard windows audio if the sample rate is different from the ASIO source.

So when I set the windows sample rate to 48khz, there is no windows sound anymore. Only when they are on the same sample rates this happens. But when I select WASAPI or DS, even same sample rate, windows sound is being blocked. :D

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I turn off all system sounds. What do you need them for, plugging in and out a jack? Adjusting the volume? Getting an email? I like a nice quiet PC.

Certainly don't want bings and bongs in the middle of testing... :)

1577134128479.png

Top Bottom