• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Panasonic SA-XR57 Multi-channel Receiver Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the vintage Panasonic SA-XR57 multichannel Audio/Video Receiver (AVR). It is on kind loan from a member. It originally cost US $400. I don't know when it came out but I remember the Panasonic advertisement about it with their tall speakers.​

The SA-XR57 is a switching amplifier and it shows from its weight. It is incredibly light despite its large size:

Panasonic SA-XR57 Receiver Audio Reviews.jpg

It has some unusual features like automatic speaker selection which I used and it correctly detected I had two speakers. It kept saying they were biwired though which they were not. I connected my speakers to the front left bank (A):
Panasonic SA-XR57 Receiver Back Panel Audio Reviews.jpg

The video features are of course long obsolete.

The interest here was to see how an early sample of switching amplifier performed so let's get into it.

Amplifier Audio Measurements
As usual, we start with our dashboard view of 1 kHz tone into 4 ohm load at 5 watts:

Panasonic SA-XR57 Receiver CD digital input Audio Measurements.png

As you see, the above is with analog input. Results with analog input was just a hair worse so doesn't look like digital input helps it any.

SINAD is dominated by high fifth harmonic at nearly -70 dB. Add a bit of noise to it and you get the SINAD of 68 dB as indicated. Here is the total ranking:

Best Audio Amplifier Class D Review.png

So unfortunately not good (above is using analog input).

Signal to noise ratio is nothing to write home about:

Panasonic SA-XR57 Receiver SNR Audio Measurements.png

Frequency response is good:
Panasonic SA-XR57 Receiver Frequency Response Audio Measurements.png

The peaking is well above audio band.

Multitone shows what we already know:
Panasonic SA-XR57 Receiver Multitone Audio Measurements.png

Using analog input, we get this into 4 ohm:
Panasonic SA-XR57 Receiver Power into 4 ohm Audio Measurements.png

Very strange ups and downs in the graph as different non-linearities kick in and dominate. Switching to digital input doesn't cure it:

Panasonic SA-XR57 Receiver Power into 4 ohm Digital In Audio Measurements.png

Here is the outcome with 8 ohm and analog input:

Panasonic SA-XR57 Receiver Power into 8 ohm Audio Measurements.png

Thermal Stability
The results here were "curious:"
Panasonic SA-XR57 Receiver Warm Up Audio Measurements.png

While the trend is toward lower distortion, there is some mechanism that is producing those correlated sinusoidal variations in THD+N.

Conclusions
Panasonic has certainly achieved the efficiency goal in designing this receiver. Alas, it has rather strange response which I think is indicative of less than perfectly engineered amplifier. I suspect you can pick these up for a song so in that regard, it may not be a bad purchase if you want a cool and light amplifier. Otherwise, I can't recommend it.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

We are having heavy rain today and for another three days. It is flooding everywhere. While we have a boat, I may need to buy another one for all the pink panthers to be rescued, should the water levels rise too high. Boats are not cheap so please donate generously using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This unit is obviously flaky. I can vouch for Panasonic in the terms of after sales service, parts availability and Panasonic pays the account receivables promptly after sending them invoicing. I provided warranty service for Panasonic/Technics (Matsushita Electric Industrial Co.)for some years. They did things differently than almost all other manufacturers in consumer electronics. If you needed a laser or disc motor they would not sell them individually because they sold the entire CD mechanism for the cost of a inexpensive laser from most other manufacturers. Whether out of warranty or not the price of parts and availability was excellent. The company was a pleasure to deal with. The stereo equipment from Panasonic was never intended to be amazing stuff. It was mostly surround systems including the 4 or 5 speakers and a subwoofer for budget pricing. The Panasonic budget systems where just that, "Low budget systems."

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
Very interesting the digital input doesn’t improve things. A lot of the subjective reviews note that while the analog input was nothing to write home about, the digital input constitutes a “full digital path / PWM digital DAC”, and therefore achieves an exceptionally clean signal. Perhaps just expectation bias then?

If I recall correctly, the Bi-Wire is a setting you need to manually toggle. It’s either in Setup 1 or 2.

Isn’t one of the improvements in Class-D designs that of improved linearity? Maybe Panasonic has some form of compensation that, while smooths out live loads, measures oddly for a straight 8 ohm resistor? Just throwing out speculation.

Thanks for the review - safely justifies my amp upgrade ;)

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Very interesting the digital input doesn’t improve things. A lot of the subjective reviews note that while the analog input was nothing to write home about, the digital input constitutes a “full digital path / PWM digital DAC”, and therefore achieves an exceptionally clean signal. Perhaps just expectation bias then?

If I recall correctly, the Bi-Wire is a setting you need to manually toggle. It’s either in Setup 1 or 2.

Isn’t one of the improvements in Class-D designs that of improved linearity? Maybe Panasonic has some form of compensation that, while smooths out live loads, measures oddly for a straight 8 ohm resistor? Just throwing out speculation.

Thanks for the review - safely justifies my amp upgrade ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A resister(load) does not add or subtract signal from a waveform other than a voltage drop across the resister. There might be inductance in the load but it's usually not significant.

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
A resister(load) does not add or subtract signal from a waveform other than a voltage drop across the resister. There might be inductance in the load but it's usually not significant.

Wasn’t there a “gotcha” with early Class-D amps where the output varied depending on the load?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wasn’t there a “gotcha” with early Class-D amps where the output varied depending on the load?
No idea what you are mentioning. The output of any audio amplifier varies depending on the reactive load unless the amplifier is totally linear and that never happens because of infinity coming into play. Audiophile peeps have been investing huge bucks in the search for linearity in their audio amps.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the vintage Panasonic SA-XR57 multichannel Audio/Video Receiver (AVR). It is on kind loan from a member. It originally cost US $400. I don't know when it came out but I remember the Panasonic advertisement about it with their tall speakers.​

The SA-XR57 is a switching amplifier and it shows from its weight. It is incredibly light despite its large size:

It has some unusual features like automatic speaker selection which I used and it correctly detected I had two speakers. It kept saying they were biwired though which they were not. I connected my speakers to the front left bank (A):

The video features are of course long obsolete.

The interest here was to see how an early sample of switching amplifier performed so let's get into it.

Amplifier Audio Measurements
As usual, we start with our dashboard view of 1 kHz tone into 4 ohm load at 5 watts:

View attachment 43131

As you see, the above is with analog input. Results with analog input was just a hair worse so doesn't look like digital input helps it any.

SINAD is dominated by high fifth harmonic at nearly -70 dB. Add a bit of noise to it and you get the SINAD of 68 dB as indicated. Here is the total ranking:

View attachment 43132

So unfortunately not good (above is using analog input).

Signal to noise ratio is nothing to write home about:

View attachment 43134

Frequency response is good:
View attachment 43135

The peaking is well above audio band.

Multitone shows what we already know:
View attachment 43136

Using analog input, we get this into 4 ohm:
View attachment 43137

Very strange ups and downs in the graph as different non-linearities kick in and dominate. Switching to digital input doesn't cure it:

View attachment 43138

Here is the outcome with 8 ohm and analog input:

View attachment 43139

Thermal Stability
The results here were "curious:"
View attachment 43140

While the trend is toward lower distortion, there is some mechanism that is producing those correlated sinusoidal variations in THD+N.

Conclusions
Panasonic has certainly achieved the efficiency goal in designing this receiver. Alas, it has rather strange response which I think is indicative of less than perfectly engineered amplifier. I suspect you can pick these up for a song so in that regard, it may not be a bad purchase if you want a cool and light amplifier. Otherwise, I can't recommend it.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

We are having heavy rain today and for another three days. It is flooding everywhere. While we have a boat, I may need to buy another one for all the pink panthers to be rescued, should the water levels rise too high. Boats are not cheap so please donate generously using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
For some guys, being able to pick this up for ~$50 will make their day.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For some guys, being able to pick this up for ~$50 will make their day.
Off topic... I see you have the Sennheiser HD 598 CS for your office headphones. I have them too. How do they compare to the Sennheiser HD 650 you have @ home?

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Off topic... I see you have the Sennheiser HD 598 CS for your office headphones. I have them too. How do they compare to the Sennheiser HD 650 you have @ home?
The 650s are a step above in terms of clarity, sound stage, better build quality, and having a bigger sound. Overall the 650s are better. Even when I have both at home, I always prefer the 650s, unless I need to go closed back.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The 650s are a step above in terms of clarity, sound stage, better build quality, and having a bigger sound. Overall the 650s are better. Even when I have both at home, I always prefer the 650s, unless I need to go closed back.
I've never heard the HD 650 and so I wonder if they are worth double the price point or if the point of diminishing returns has approached. Then there is the satisfaction factor. Will I be satisfied with the HD 650 upgrade or should I go to the more expensive Sennheisers like the 8XX series. I am purchasing long term so I can see the end being more expensive or not. I have no way of test driving them so this is all speculative and hence I ask your opinion. My ears are down in the high frequencies so I need a trebly sounding driver because I'm going to EQ it to death and I appreciate proper after sales support. Product availability in Canada is sometimes bad because we have such a small population and such large territory.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
I've never heard the HD 650 and so I wonder if they are worth double the price point or if the point of diminishing returns has approached. Then there is the satisfaction factor. Will I be satisfied with the HD 650 upgrade or should I go to the more expensive Sennheisers like the 8XX series. I am purchasing long term so I can see the end being more expensive or not. I have no way of test driving them so this is all speculative and hence I ask your opinion. My ears are down in the high frequencies so I need a trebly sounding driver because I'm going to EQ it to death and I appreciate proper after sales support. Product availability in Canada is sometimes bad because we have such a small population and such large territory.
It's worth the upgrade. The HD 800s cost way more, so from a value perspective I'd stick with the 650s. Drop.com has the 6XX which is the same as the 650, and those go for USD 220, so it's a good deal. Amazon also offers refurbished models for less than retail, so that's also worth a look.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's worth the upgrade. The HD 800s cost way more, so from a value perspective I'd stick with the 650s. Drop.com has the 6XX which is the same as the 650, and those go for USD 220, so it's a good deal. Amazon also offers refurbished models for less than retail, so that's also worth a look.
I purchased my Sennheiser HD 598 CS from Amazon.ca for ~$200.00(CAN) + tax and I considered that a good deal at the time considering they retail for ~$300. I've a history of owning good american made 2 channel audio gear but never a pair of headphones worth more than ~$200. I've never purchased a clone product and after ~25 years in electronics; 9 years of sales and 16 years of component level mechatronics service I can't see myself purchasing a clone because I like to support those products that deserve recognition.

Newk Yuler

ASR does not cease to amaze me. This old Panasonic amp is competently running by a TV about 6 feet in front of me while my geriatric dad gets his sick obsession of hating evil democrats filled with a day's worth of beaming FOX news into his wilted brain. :facepalm: Never is used for hifi or more than stereo on TV sound. Sounds good enough I suppose. I can vouch for its longevity, although it never gets pushed, it gets annoyingly cranked to shouting levels because the old man is mostly deaf. Runs cool, low power draw, all on an UPS to prevent power issues, expecting that's added to the longevity. Never a hiccup. Knock on wood. No reason to think it will quit working in the foreseeable future. Whatever. Just amazed Amir felt like spending the time measuring it when it's nothing but trivial information.

I bought it new thinking it had Tripath amps then found it didn't. The Tripath parts were in its predecessor.

Top Bottom