• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Massdrop 789 vs. Monoprice 887 vs. SMSL SP200: THX amp measurement comparison

b1lf

I picked up the SU-8 for $170 and no regrets there. Some new models by SMSL and Topping are coming, but pricing AFAIK is not known yet. There are a number of other choices, it's just a matter of what performance and features you care about most, within your budget range. I would not care if the DAC was gold plated and had every feature known to man, I am not spending $4000 on a damn DAC.

I may be able to hold off until I see those releases...

I could probably use my current Mayflower DAC/AMP combo and just run the DAC to the Monoprice 887 until I purchase something nicer.

b1lf

Bumping this again for any additional input on pairing a DAC with the Monoprice 887?

What is the approximate ETA for the new DACs mentioned above?

OP
RickSanchez

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Bumping this again for any additional input on pairing a DAC with the Monoprice 887?

What is the approximate ETA for the new DACs mentioned above?

There are obviously a number of well-measuring DACs that have been reviewed on ASR. What are your requirements?
  • budget?
  • balanced outputs?
  • remote?
  • etc?
I think Celty's recommendation of the SMSL SU-8 (v2) is a good one given it's performance, price, and feature set. But if you don't care about things like remote or volume control you could save some money with the Drop x Grace Design Balanced DAC. Or you could save money by looking at the various options that don't have XLR outs. (e.g., the Topping D50s that you mentioned earlier.)

Last edited:

b1lf

There are obviously a number of well-measuring DACs that have been reviewed on ASR. What are you requirements?
  • budget?
  • balanced outputs?
  • remote?
  • etc?
I think Celty's recommendation of the SMSL SU-8 (v2) is a good one given it's performance, price, and feature set. But if you don't care about things like remote or volume control you could save some money with the Drop x Grace Design Balanced DAC. Or you could save money by looking at the various options that don't have XLR outs. (e.g., the Topping D50s that you mentioned earlier.)

I guess I’d like to get one with balanced outputs to pair with the 887. Does that really make a difference?

I don’t need a remote - it will be sitting right next to me and I will likely use these only for headphones (not speakers).

Price.... $250 max? I’m also purchasing the 887 so I don’t want to go too crazy here.

The Grace Design SDAC (balanced) from Massdrop doesn’t measure that well, correct? Looks like the Topping D50s is far better, though that’s not XLR/balanced out.

OP
RickSanchez

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I guess I’d like to get one with balanced outputs to pair with the 887. Does that really make a difference?

I don’t need a remote - it will be sitting right next to me and I will likely use these only for headphones (not speakers).

Price.... $250 max? I’m also purchasing the 887 so I don’t want to go too crazy here.

The Grace Design SDAC (balanced) from Massdrop doesn’t measure that well, correct? Looks like the Topping D50s is far better, though that’s not XLR/balanced out.

Good info, thanks for providing that. To address a couple of your questions:
  • XLR outs provide significant immunity from ground loop issues. Those are rare, so it's more like an insurance policy (in case you experience them in your setup) vs. something you would definitely need.
  • The Grace Balanced SDAC measures well actually. Read Amir's review carefully. Yes, SINAD is several DBs lower than say, the SU-8 v2. But it would be almost impossible for you to hear the difference when you're at that level of performance. The Balanced SDAC has low noise, no ESS "IMD hump" (which probably doesn't matter, but whatever), low jitter, and decent linearity. What you give up are features: limited inputs/outputs, no remote, no volume control, no display.
If you're in the US the SU-8 v2 is up on Drop right now for US $170. That's a pretty solid deal, and given the features + performance of the SU-8 v2 that represents significant value.

b1lf

• XLR outs provide significant immunity from ground loop issues. Those are rare, so it's more like an insurance policy (in case you experience them in your setup) vs. something you would definitely need.
  • The Grace Balanced SDAC measures well actually. Read Amir's review carefully. Yes, SINAD is several DBs lower than say, the SU-8 v2. But it would be almost impossible for you to hear the difference when you're at that level of performance. The Balanced SDAC has low noise, no ESS "IMD hump" (which probably doesn't matter, but whatever), low jitter, and decent linearity. What you give up are features: limited inputs/outputs, no remote, no volume control, no display.
If you're in the US the SU-8 v2 is up on Drop right now for US $170. That's a pretty solid deal, and given the features + performance of the SU-8 v2 that represents significant value.

Thanks, I just watched a video review on the SMSL SU-8, I'm leaning towards that. I may end up adding some desktop speakers for my PC so that seems to be relatively future proof.

Shane D

Forum Donor
Due to the Green Bay Packers having a bye week (i.e., I have a little more free time than usual today) I thought it would be interesting to compare three high-performing and relatively budget THX headphone amplifiers: the Drop (Massdrop) THX AAA 789 vs. the Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 vs. the SMSL SP200

Thanks for taking the time and doing the work!
Doesn't make make my little SP200 look all that desirable, but I do love the MUCH cheaper price (landed in Canada) and the smaller size. And I would Never need the higher power. I really have become an SMSL fan.

Shane D

Celty

Just placed my order for the following:
  • Monoprice THX 887
  • SMSL SU-8 V2
  • XLR interconnect cables for the above stack
  • Balanced headphone cables with XLR termination

Pretty damn excited!
Awww, I'm happy for you :) , I'm sure you will get many hours of enjoyment. You can't beat the value in getting a SOTA setup with maximum flexibility at these prices. Just a short time ago, it would have been unthinkable, we live at a great time!

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Of the three, I would get the Monoprice due to it's warranty. They are all great performers.

Ntrax

Audio Company
You can go for SMSL
I think deep down, this is what my inner tech-nerd brain is telling me. I like the flexibility...

That said, what DAC would you suggest pairing this with that has XLR?

The Topping D50s is priced around $185 which is about what I’d want to pay in the immediate future for a DAC.
SU8
XLR out also gives you 4V.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
These headamps need to be remeasured for the same output voltage, probably 4V RMS should do fine. At this moment we're comparing them at completely different output power (4V RMS for the Monolith, while the other two are outputting about 5.7V RMS), so it makes no sense to compare them by SINAD or even by noise-floor. Instead, we can compare their harmonic profile., linearity etc

bequietjk

The roman numeral gain levels pretty much sold me on the THX 789

b1lf

Awww, I'm happy for you :) , I'm sure you will get many hours of enjoyment. You can't beat the value in getting a SOTA setup with maximum flexibility at these prices. Just a short time ago, it would have been unthinkable, we live at a great time!

Heading home now! (I travel for work)

The Monoprice THX 887 is at my doorstep but the SMSL SU-8 I ordered via Apos has been “on hold” at my destination city today despite ordering express shipping (DHL sucks).

Trying to figure out if my Mayflower ARC’s rear RCA pre-outs (designed for speakers) will allow me to run to the THX 887 and act as a DAC only...???

Or I guess I’ll wait until tomorrow night to demo this new setup! (I don’t think I have a stereo mini to RCA to run directly from my PC to the AMP).

Celty

Heading home now! (I travel for work)

The Monoprice THX 887 is at my doorstep but the SMSL SU-8 I ordered via Apos has been “on hold” at my destination city today despite ordering express shipping (DHL sucks).

Trying to figure out if my Mayflower ARC’s rear RCA pre-outs (designed for speakers) will allow me to run to the THX 887 and act as a DAC only...???

Or I guess I’ll wait until tomorrow night to demo this new setup! (I don’t think I have a stereo mini to RCA to run directly from my PC to the AMP).
I would think the RCA pre-outs would work, and yes, DHL does suck ;)

b1lf

I would think the RCA pre-outs would work, and yes, DHL does suck ;)

The RCA pre-outs work ----- however for some reason the L & R on the Monoprice THX 887 is reversed than what's labeled!!!

Not a big "problem" - however it is annoying. Just swapped them (RCA inputs) and it works now. Hoping its not the same for balanced/XLR.....

Celty

The RCA pre-outs work ----- however for some reason the L & R on the Monoprice THX 887 is reversed than what's labeled!!!

Not a big "problem" - however it is annoying. Just swapped them (RCA inputs) and it works now. Hoping its not the same for balanced/XLR.....
Not sure what you mean that they are reversed, how did you determine that?

b1lf

Not sure what you mean that they are reversed, how did you determine that?

Tested with a game, footsteps sounded all f***ed up. Went into YouTube and searched “left right channel test.” It played Left then Right then Center etc etc etc.

My Left and Right were swapped.......

PS this sounds incredible and I don't even have the SMSL SU-8 DAC yet.

Celty

Tested with a game, footsteps sounded all f***ed up. Went into YouTube and searched “left right channel test.” It played Left then Right then Center etc etc etc.
Wow, interesting. I just checked the channels with the SU-8 with USB input, XLR interconnects, the channels are correct.
PS this sounds incredible and I don't even have the SMSL SU-8 DAC yet.
Wicked!

Celty

BTW, checked the RCA input as well, the channels were correct for those too.

Top Bottom