• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

anyone familiar with LG OLED55B8PUA

invaderzim

Does anyone have one for feedback on how they like it?

Also is anyone familiar with a way to disable the google assistant in it?

MSNWatch

Don't know about the google assistant but OLED will blow you away.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd get a C8 instead of a B8, I have a B6 and the internal boards aren't the same as the C and up line.

However, if the B is markedly cheaper, then stick with the B.

davidc

Forum Donor
Does anyone have one for feedback on how they like it?

What's not to like? Seriously though...the LG OLED's are always reviewed as having the best picture out there. If you have the few extra dollars, go for the C9, as it does have a better chip. If not, the B series is still great.

Regarding the Google Assistant (or Alexa for that matter)...I'm not really sure why you would want to "disable" it. There is no on/off control for it, but to disable it...just don't use it.

adc

Speaking generally, it's best to not trust the "smart" in "smart TVs". If it's internet connected, there's no way to know what it's doing without your knowledge (usually a lot).

I'd choose the TV strictly for its picture quality, and not connect it to the internet at all; then it can't be abused to spy on you. Instead, if I want streaming content, I'd use it as a monitor for a real computer (Mac Mini, Intel NUC, or whatever suits you). Anything with an HDMI output usually works fine, and then I have much more control over its behavior, not to mention having the ability to watch anything I want, instead of being restricted to whatever services are built-in by the manufacturer (which will be outdated and obsolete long before you're ready to replace the TV).

Last edited:

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
I have a C9.

Never connected it to wifi, so no google assistant.

It has optical out that doesn’t work properly. It randomly drops sound. This problem seems to have existed for a while now from previous generations and no solution to exists. I have tried various workarounds, including a hdmi audio splitter. But then HDCP blocks it on some Netflix content. I’ve updated the firmware via usb but problem still exists.

So I’m back to using its line out instead of my smsl dac.

Anyways, picture quality is stunning. Moana on Disney+ is 4K hdr and the colors are mesmerizing.

Tks

Major Contributor
I have a C9.

It has optical out that doesn’t work properly. It randomly drops sound. This problem seems to have existed for a while now from previous generations and no solution to exists. I have tried various workarounds, including a hdmi audio splitter. But then HDCP blocks it on some Netflix content. I’ve updated the firmware via usb but problem still exists.

So I’m back to using its line out instead of my smsl dac.

Anyways, picture quality is stunning. Moana on Disney+ is 4K hdr and the colors are mesmerizing.

Man.. LG.. I tell you, every single one of the appliances I have from them are just failures in multiple respects. I see even in the TV sphere they're messing up.. (there is Sony, but I like to start up my PS4 sometimes to play games, and they aren't bringing the features I want as much as LG recently has, and also the decent Sony OLEDs cost quite a bit).

Also that whole Android TV interface is so awful/laggy I felt the need to buy an Nvidia Shield TV...

garbulky

Major Contributor
I would pony up the cash for the 65. That;s what I have and I've tried the 55 inch version - granted not the same model but it is an LG OLED. The 65 simply is a whole another level.

arboleda

Forum Donor
I’ve got a B8. I’m head over heals in love with the picture. I used a profile that others came up with, and the picture is just gorgeous.

ElNino

I have a C9.

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I was considering a C9 earlier this year, but ended up cheaping out on a lower 2019 model year non-OLED LG TV (UM7300 series), and the optical out on it has been reliable, for what it's worth.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a C9.

Maybe try an HDMI audio extractor that works with ARC like this one: https://www.amazon.com/SGEYR-Extractor-Converter-Switcher-Amplifier/dp/B07YJBBNZB/ ?

I own a C9 and the ARC on it works very reliably especially compared to older TVs I've had.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm puzzled. Both ARC and optical out on your C9 have dropouts? I use my C9 with ARC every day(to a Denon X4000, which is a 6 year old AVR), and I've never encountered a single drop out. Are you sure there's not something wrong with the TV or other devices in the chain?

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
I'm puzzled. Both ARC and optical out on your C9 have dropouts? I use my C9 with ARC every day(to a Denon X4000, which is a 6 year old AVR), and I've never encountered a single drop out. Are you sure there's not something wrong with the TV or other devices in the chain?

My DAC has been working fine with my old TV's optical out. It also works fine when I use an hdmi audio splitter inserted between my TV and the AppleTV. So I think I ruled out a my DAC. The audio splitter seemed like a good idea until I tried to play Evengeleon series on Netflix. It gave me an HDCP error. Ouch.

Clearly the TV is the problem. Maybe it's my particular TV, but google search reveals many complaints about dropped audio on optical and ARC. Some have solved it using a "better" cable, so I'm going to give that a try this week. I'm not expecting anything because the current cable works fine going to the audio splitter. I will report back here if it does fix the problem. The TV works fine otherwise, and the trouble of returning it for another unit with possibly the same problem is not worth it to me.

ElNino

It's possible that the clock driving the TV's optical out is a little unstable and your DAC's S/PDIF receiver's PLL is having trouble keeping a lock. This might be one of the rare cases where picking up one of those de-jittering devices that used to be all the rage might actually help in some meaningful way. If you're into DIY, it's pretty easy to wire up the WM8804 to work in this configuration but you'd need to make a PCB.

Top Bottom