• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj D5 - Owners' Thread

Mr. Olinad

Does any of you have had access to this tool?
My D5 is v1.2 and I don't like the idea of being stuck forever in this version.
I'm trying my best to find this tool or some alternative.

The cable was easy: 10 Pin FPC FFC Flexible Flat Ribbon Cable

About the "tool", after some research I think that words like "STM32" "SWD" and "JTAG" are the ones I'm looking for, right?
So I found this one:
1573616148033.png

Would it work?
If so, what kind of adapter should I use to connect this J-Link tool to the Flat Ribbon Cable?
This one?
1573617725144.png

In the end, even if these pieces are all I need to do the job, I think the biggest challenge is to know if I should connect the ribbon facing up or down. :facepalm:

Attachments

• 1573612967546.png
    1573612967546.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 1573613842374.png
    1573613842374.png
    180.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 1573614005190.png
    1573614005190.png
    116.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 1573614555394.png
    1573614555394.png
    228.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 1573615173414.png
    1573615173414.png
    251.4 KB · Views: 169

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
Does any of you have had access to this tool?
My D5 is v1.2 and I don't like the idea of being stuck forever in this version.
I'm trying my best to find this tool or some alternative.

The cable was easy: 10 Pin FPC FFC Flexible Flat Ribbon Cable

About the "tool", after some research I think that words like "STM32" "SWD" and "JTAG" are the ones I'm looking for, right?
So I found this one:
View attachment 38665

Would it work?
If so, what kind of adapter should I use to connect this J-Link tool to the Flat Ribbon Cable?
This one?
View attachment 38667

In the end, even if these pieces are all I need to do the job, I think the biggest challenge is to know if I should connect the ribbon facing up or down. :facepalm:

You sure want to use this device and possibly brick your D5 ?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

And following up on that point @Mr. Olinad : I assume all you want to do is upgrade the firmware to v1.4? If so, have you been able to contact Sabaj support? They should be able to send you the upgrade tool. I've read a number of threads on ASR where D5 owners -- ones who purchased the device months ago, when it shipped with v1.2 -- got the upgrade tool directly from Sabaj support. That seems like a much easier/safer path to the firmware upgrade.

Mr. Olinad

No... not without instructions of someone that really knows what to do.
As this hobby is full of experts I thought that maybe someone could help in case Sabaj simply stop shipping the tool.

If so, have you been able to contact Sabaj support?
Yeah... I've been looking for a firmware update for a while so yesterday I ended up in this thread.
I wasn't following the measurements thread where it was previously discussed and, as I read some posts of people mentioning they haven't had access to the Tool, I just started my research.
I sent a message to Sabaj Official Store chat on Aliexpress, from where I bought it, and they haven't answered yet.
If any of you know a better channel where I can contact them, I'll be glad.

Tks

Harry1973

^ I contacted them via amazon (bought it there). I got reply on the same day (instructions and address where to upload the file). They also sent me tracking info of the tool itself (however it did not work) but tool arrived couple of weeks later. Mine was 1.3 originally. Now 1.4. -I have using Sajab D5 for couple of months daily (6h /day). No issues. Still love it.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Can anyone please tell me how to install the driver files? I’ve downloaded the driver from the Sabaj’s website. The file has a .rar extension. It appears to be a zipped file, but I haven’t been able to unzip it, or to get Windows 10 to recognize it as a driver for the Sabaj.

Harry1973

When I downloaded the zip file, it was .7z -file. In order to open this type of zip file you need .7z extension or programme. Google "open 7z. file".
Once you have opened up the zip file, you will notice that it contains the files mentioned on the pdf.

EDIT: Sorry, I noticed you were talking about the driver file (I was talking about firmware update file). Cant help you with driver. I use the dac with streamer.

Last edited:

Mr. Olinad

Can anyone please tell me how to install the driver files? I’ve downloaded the driver from the Sabaj’s website. The file has a .rar extension. It appears to be a zipped file, but I haven’t been able to unzip it, or to get Windows 10 to recognize it as a driver for the Sabaj.
No matter if its .zip, .rar, .7z or whatever, 7zip usually does de job
https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

It's free, just choose according to your OS.

Mr. Olinad

^ I contacted them via amazon (bought it there). I got reply on the same day (instructions and address where to upload the file). They also sent me tracking info of the tool itself (however it did not work) but tool arrived couple of weeks later. Mine was 1.3 originally. Now 1.4. -I have using Sajab D5 for couple of months daily (6h /day). No issues. Still love it.
I contacted via Aliexpress (bought it there), here's what they said:
1573922004966.png

I'm still waiting for the email.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Last edited:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Received a Sabaj D5 yesterday. At first I thought it was not working. Sound was awful with XLR line output. Then, trying the menus, I found the headphones output was selected. After the selection of the line output, it was ok. So, with this version of firmware, it seems not possible to have line out and headphones selected in the same time. Could you confirm it is the same for you?

Mr. Olinad

Received a Sabaj D5 yesterday. At first I thought it was not working. Sound was awful with XLR line output. Then, trying the menus, I found the headphones output was selected. After the selection of the line output, it was ok. So, with this version of firmware, it seems not possible to have line out and headphones selected in the same time. Could you confirm it is the same for you?
I think it's the same on every firmware version.
You have to choose one of them only.
v1.2 here btw

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Not a lot of life in this thread so I decided to put a picture.

I had a complete week without appreciating the Sabaj D5 because there was a problem on my amp (my fault). The problem was not obvious and at first I thought the Sabaj "not so good". The headphones output was ok so I tested then from XLR to RCA and it was working correctly. I discovered the real Sabaj D5 but was not where was the problem.

Today I was able to fix my error and then it is now working fine with XLR cables between Sabaj and amp. I am not able to hear any difference between RCA and XLR anyway, but I use the RCA to move vumeters in the K7 player (waiting for a project with an Arduino and big count of LEDs, maybe in January).

SabaJ D5.png

I am also very happy with the headphones output and the easy to drive AKG Q701.

qxp

Does anyone have a unit with a solid volume knob? Mine just arrived and it rattles around side to side. The center button is equally loose.
I'm on firmware v1.4, and I noticed that there's acceleration (skips steps) when I quickly turn the knob counterclockwise, and no acceleration clockwise. I don't think this is intentional, and the processor may be missing the fast encoder pulses.

Mr. Olinad

Does anyone have a unit with a solid volume knob? Mine just arrived and it rattles around side to side. The center button is equally loose.
I'm on firmware v1.4, and I noticed that there's acceleration (skips steps) when I quickly turn the knob counterclockwise, and no acceleration clockwise. I don't think this is intentional, and the processor may be missing the fast encoder pulses.

I see no problems on mine.
Yes, there's acceleration counterclockwise and no aceleration clockwise.
I think the acceleration is needed due to situations like when you are surprised with a high volume and needs to turn it down asap to save your headphones or speakers.

AnalogDE

Forum Donor

The first unit I got has a rattle-y volume knob. I ordered a second unit about a month back that feels more solid.

qxp

Thanks. I'm in touch with Polly from Hifi Express and she says it's normal for the volume knob to wiggle.
It's disappointing that the volume knob is flimsy on an otherwise solid DAC.
I'll see if I can get a replacement.

Paper Tiger

I just recently acquired a Sabaj D5 and I was wondering if anyone knows a way to turn off the OLED display?

Top Bottom