• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What electronic audio products you want tested most

What electronics audio product you like to see tested more

• Power and Integrated Amplifiers

Votes: 632 55.2%
  • Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 181 15.8%
  • Home Theater AVRs

Votes: 307 26.8%
  • Home Theater Processors

Votes: 199 17.4%
  • DACs

Votes: 349 30.5%
  • Streamers

Votes: 262 22.9%
  • Combo DAC and Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 235 20.5%
  • Phono preamp

Votes: 106 9.3%
  • DSP (digital signal processors)

Votes: 378 33.0%
  • Vintage audio products

Votes: 268 23.4%

• Total voters

Daverz

Major Contributor
I really want to see more power amplifiers. Apart from the AHB2 the entire top of the chart is taken by class D. Let's test some more class A/B.

I predict that affordable class A/B (under $1k) will continue to disappoint. I'd like to see some current Icepower measurements.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am glad I ran the test as I am surprised by the results with amplifiers taking the top score. I hate you guys though as my back is getting killed lugging these heavy amps up and down to my lab. And packing and shipping them! :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What about AD converters (for decent but not too expensive digitizing of analog sources to hi-res)? Or one should just get Tascam DA-3000 and don't bother?
The DA-3000 would work, but you are recording to memory cards. I'd be happier with an RME to a computer or at a lesser price something like the Motu units or similar. Maybe an Apogee Element if using a Mac. Of course working without a computer to record has its advantages.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am glad I ran the test as I am surprised by the results with amplifiers taking the top score. I hate you guys though as my back is getting killed lugging these heavy amps up and down to my lab. And packing and shipping them! :)
Possible solutions:

Move lab to ground floor.
Hire a man servant to do the heavy lifting.
Get a dumb waiter installed.
Get a high lift capable indoor flying drone to fly it to your lab. :)
Get a set of hand trucks (one with large inflated tires). These can be much easier on your back going up and down stairs.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Possible solutions:

Move lab to ground floor.
Hire a man servant to do the heavy lifting.
Get a dumb waiter installed.
Get a high lift capable indoor flying drone to fly it to your lab. :)
Get a set of hand trucks (one with large inflated tires). These can be much easier on your back going up and down stairs.
I was thinking that sending in speakers for tests would be physically stressful; some of them are downright beastly.

Casey Leedom

I'll be very selfish and say Home Theater processors + Power Amps — specifically Multi-Channel Power Amps (7 channels). I have very limited space in my apartment and I have to have one set of electronics service my two-channel Stereo Music Listening, and Multi-Chanel Movie watching. For the ultimate-Channel Power Amp, the upcoming 8-Channel Lyngdorf MXA-8400 based on the Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier Modules seems interesting. For the Home Theater Processor there are a number of possibilities ranging from the Emotiva XMC-2/RMC-1L/RMC-1 to the upcoming Monoprice HTP-1 (manufactured by ATI) and several others. (Perhaps even the Lyngdorf MP-60, but that seems pretty expensive.)

Casey

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I predict that affordable class A/B (under $1k) will continue to disappoint. I'd like to see some current Icepower measurements.
I'd like to see older models that are affordable on the second hand market, or new models such as many Rotel power amplifiers which are pretty affordable.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think class D was covered well enough, at least Hypex and Purifi. Time for more ICEpower (especially PS Audio since they are so popular) and many more from traditional class AB amps (Accuphase, Krell, Luxman, Parasound, Hegel, McIntosh, Electrocompaniet, MBL, PS Audio BHK, Simaudio, Ayre, Mark Levinson, Naim, Pass).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I hate you guys though as my back is getting killed lugging these heavy amps up and down to my lab. And packing and shipping them!
Get Savage to do the grunt work. :)

oldsysop

I hate you guys though as my back is getting killed lugging these heavy amps up and down to my lab. And packing and shipping them!
Now I understand why you recommend class D amplifiers.
Nothing of that .
Sansui G33000, MC275, etc.
For that he has his panthers and his footman Savage.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't we miss a few options in the list?
Like audio interface (with ADC), analog preamp, smartphone,... ?

Vovgan

Forum Donor
I am surprised by the results with amplifiers taking the top score.

Me too! I thought there was no way interest in amps can surpass interest in AVRs. If the reason behind this is the thinking that AVR cannot in principle do the job as well as separate components, there does not seem to be any technical limitation supporting this: it is after all certainly not as difficult as getting a SLR like photos from your tiny iPhone camera, and it is mind-boggling how much better smartphone cameras have became under constant public pressure for greater photos from these devices. And if the reason is the thinking that “no way they can make a unit as complex as an AVR without screwing something up” - well then just look at the modern cars.

One of the objectives of ASR as I see it is to motivate engineers to design excellent new products and help the public make better informed purchasing decisions. Most people are also looking for value. So why not focus on putting pressure on engineers to give us first and foremost one beautifully designed box with all required top-quality components (DAC, amps, video processing and in the best case a great headphone amp as well) in it and thus helping us to get rid of all the nastiness of other chunky boxes, wires, power cables etc.? After all if we accept the Gospel of SINAD, then if the numbers are right, there is no reason to prefer having them delivered in multiple boxes rather than one.

Look at what has already happened to the desktop combo devices on Amir’s watch: constant improvement in measurements. Let’s put the same pressure on designers of heavier boxes: let a few iPhone and Galaxy-like do-it-all-in-one-box winners emerge and take the business away from all the rest of the manufacturers who make their customers bother with wires, mixing and matching dufferent components etc.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Don't we miss a few options in the list?
Like audio interface (with ADC), analog preamp, smartphone,... ?
The post went live before I could fully review it and I could not edit it. We can do another one with longer list later.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Your iPhone analogy makes no sense, compact cameras would still crush iPhones if there was a market for it. There simply is no market for AVRs costing 10k+. Apart from being hard to design, nobody is going to slap 7 NC500 modules with 9+ AK4499 (on per channel) in a single device.

Vovgan

Forum Donor
Your iPhone analogy makes no sense, compact cameras would still crush iPhones if there was a market for it.

The fact is that it was exactly the iPhone camera that has obliterated compact cameras despite being x10 the size. Nothing significant is left between iPhone and a good DSLR. So I’m rooting for a great AVR to emerge that will cancel the need for anything other than ultra premium separate components for the fringe of the fringe, hard-core, money-no-issue gear fans. And I see no intrinsic reason why such AVR should now cost $10K+.

It is fallacious to think that something cannot be done simply because it has not been done before. Think of the scene in Space Odyssey 2001 when Bowman pulls out HAL’s chunky components one by one. Can you imagine a supercomputer on just one spaceship take that much space now? There is no reason to believe that at their current massive sizes an AVR’s circuitry cannot be just a hair’s breadth away in terms of performance from the top class separate components.

Who, among non-professionals, care what was possible for home audio in the past? As a consumer in this field I’m only looking into the future to have my (growing) needs fulfilled. Smartphone has cancelled vast number of separate products for most people. I am looking for a great AVR to do the same to the home audio industry: one box with great all around performance, and that’s it.

3F1A19A4-6ACB-4450-A4B8-0E27A6F68C0A.png

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
The fact is that it was exactly the iPhone camera that has obliterated compact cameras despite being x10 the size. Nothing significant is left between iPhone and a good DSLR. So I’m rooting for a great AVR to emerge that will cancel the need for anything other than ultra premium separate components for the fringe of the fringe, hard-core, money-no-issue gear fans. And I see no intrinsic reason why such AVR should now cost $10K+.

It is fallacious to think that something cannot be done simply because it has not been done before. Think of the scene in Space Odyssey 2001 when Bowman pulls out HAL’s chunky components one by one. Can you imagine a supercomputer on just one spaceship take that much space now? There is no reason to believe that at their current massive sizes an AVR cannot be just a hair’s breadth away in terms of performance from the top class separate components.

View attachment 42295
In what sense does an iPhone crush compact cameras? The only reason compact camera's stopped selling is because an iPhone was good enough in most situations. Even if they would use the same sensor you still lack zoom lenses, a proper flash shoe and ergonomics. And let's not start talking about rx100's and such...

Besides you can already buy what you want in 2 parts. NAD master series pre en power....and the price is even pretty fair considering the parts used.

Top Bottom