• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheapest transparent DAC with optical?

tsanguine

Forum Donor
Subject should give it away. Would like the cheapest DAC I can find that is transparent. Tons of choices for USB but not as many for optical it seems.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Subject should give it away. Would like the cheapest DAC I can find that is transparent. Tons of choices for USB but not as many for optical it seems.
Is it to plug a CD player? (16bit)

OP
tsanguine

tsanguine

Forum Donor
I guess I don't need it to be that transparent. A kardas board would be fine if it supported optical. Anything better as in cheaper than a topping D10? or would it be worth it just to spend a bit more for DX3pro?

This will primarily be for a chromecast audio.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
@amirm disdains S/PDIF inputs, because nobody uses them.

(I do.)

Sorry for these useless posts, I don't have a memory for which has what, not being in shopping mode.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess I don't need it to be that transparent. A kardas board would be fine if it supported optical. Anything better as in cheaper than a topping D10? or would it be worth it just to spend a bit more for DX3pro?

This will primarily be for a chromecast audio.

Be careful, Topping D10 has optical OUT but no optical IN. I think you want an optical IN, right?

OP
tsanguine

tsanguine

Forum Donor
I have enough computers laying around that I could probably just run everything off of a PC of some kind. Intel Compute Stick in one room and maybe a first gen Microsoft Surface in another. I have eight chromecast audio's though and I really like being able to group them together into zones (provided Google fixes their last Home update) and be able to control them from my phone or voice.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
tsanguine

tsanguine

Forum Donor
The DAC inside the Chromecast Audio is pretty decent. Did you try it?
I've been using it for years in multiple rooms and have been perfectly happy with it. I know my ears well enough that I would not notice the difference through any of my current speakers. I do have one place where I tend to use headphones and would like to see if I can hear difference with a DAC there. It will likely plug into a Geshelli Labs Archel2 pro. I've got a SMSL Sanskit 10th anniversary on my desk at work but figured there would be something either better or cheaper than that. Maybe I was wrong. I frequently am.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have eight chromecast audio's though and I really like being able to group them together into zones (provided Google fixes their last Home update) and be able to control them from my phone or voice.
The DAC inside the Chromecast Audio is pretty decent. Did you try it?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-of-chromecast-audio-analog-performance.4562/

I have a few of them also and run them both off the spdif and as analogue source. Good enough for me.
Even use one as headphone DAC/amp from time to time.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I do have one place where I tend to use headphones and would like to see if I can hear difference with a DAC there.
AMP or using the CCA directly?

garbulky

Major Contributor
@amirm disdains S/PDIF inputs, because nobody uses them.

(I do.)

Sorry for these useless posts, I don't have a memory for which has what, not being in shopping mode.
My DAC has three SPDIF inputs in use! Blu ray, firetv (using an HDMI spdif output box) and PC (BNC).

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For those who still use disc players an optical input somewhere is still very useful. I have a pair of Sony blu ray players without analogue outputs and quite a few blu ray audio discs which I like a lot. For all I am not into high res there is a lot to be said for putting a disc of Bruckner or Mozart's complete symphonies or Wagner's ring into a disc spinner on a single disc and having it all there without bothering with a computer.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It will likely plug into a Geshelli Labs Archel2 pro. I've got a SMSL Sanskit 10th anniversary on my desk at work but figured there would be something either better or cheaper than that. Maybe I was wrong. I frequently am.

I would get the Geshelli first, then a DAC.
But what headphones do you have? Do you need a Geshelli to begin with?

OP
tsanguine

tsanguine

Forum Donor
I would get the Geshelli first, then a DAC.
But what headphones do you have? Do you need a Geshelli to begin with?
I have the Geshelli in hand. I wanted it just to have as well as to support the creators. I currently own Focal Elears, Sennheiser HD6xx, Oppo PM3, Grado 325's, Koss porta pros, Fostex T-XO. I'm in the process of selling a few pairs. I'm really salivating over the Aeon2's and had been looking at the closed back aeon's for awhile. I need to get rid of a few before I get something new.

You never know what I will be playing with next which is why I wanted something like the Geshelli Archel2 pro on hand.
IMG_20191209_122109.jpg

Top Bottom