• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

No love for Magnepan???

D

Deleted member 2944

My Martin Logans are still in the shed so I can do a street cred power up boost refresh if needed.

But I need to find some kid to give them to.
Put those pos speakers out on the street corner with a "free" sign on them. Problem solved.

Dave.

Anyone with any thoughts on Magnepan's wall-mount speakers, such as the MMGW, MC1 or MMC 2?

Being the cheapskate that I am, I own a pair of MMGWs (325 USD factory direct), paired with a cheap-ass Theater Solutions low-profile subwoofer, stashed under the couch. Clearly not a high-end setup, but I enjoy the sound. Wondering if anyone has any opinions/thoughts on Maggie wall-mounts.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone with any thoughts on Magnepan's wall-mount speakers, such as the MMGW, MC1 or MMC 2?

Being the cheapskate that I am, I own a pair of MMGWs (325 USD factory direct), paired with a cheap-ass Theater Solutions low-profile subwoofer, stashed under the couch. Clearly not a high-end setup, but I enjoy the sound. Wondering if anyone has any opinions/thoughts on Maggie wall-mounts.

Great speakers for the price. If it were my system, I would make sure 1) they are adequately powered, 2) make sure a high pass crossover at 100hz is used, 3) place the subwoofer on the front wall, as with a high crossover you are more like to locate the subwoofer so placing it near the maggies will minimize this issue, 4) get a better subwoofer.

As far as a better subwoofer, SVS, HSU and Rythmik are great choices and can be had starting at $500 new. I prefer Rythmik, but something like this would be a major upgrade at a price you are likely more comfortable with (assuming you are using a receiver or processor with a built in crossover) : https://tmraudio.com/speakers/subwoofers/svs-pb-10-nsd-powered-10-subwoofer-pb10-300-watts-black/ . I think a subwoofer upgrade would make a major difference in your system.

Last edited:

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I have a pair of MCC2's flanking a flat screen and a CC3. They sound good and don't take up floor space.

I don't think they are better than the true ribbon models. Magnepan also has a tri-center concept but it requires special hardware to properly mate the three.

Great speakers for the price. If it were my system, I would make sure 1) they are adequately powered, 2) make sure a high pass crossover at 100hz is used, 3) place the subwoofer on the front wall, as with a high crossover you are more like to locate the subwoofer so placing it near the maggies will minimize this issue, 4) get a better subwoofer.

As far as a better subwoofer, SVS, HSU and Rythmik are great choices and can be had starting at $500 new. I prefer Rythmik, but something like this would be a major upgrade at a price you are likely more comfortable with: https://tmraudio.com/speakers/subwoofers/svs-pb-10-nsd-powered-10-subwoofer-pb10-300-watts-black/ . I think a subwoofer upgrade would make a major difference in your system.
Thanks so much for all the great advice!

I do have adequate power (I think), with a Hypex NC252MP amp that I put into a Ghentaudio enclosure (a choice inspired by the reviews and many posts here on ASR).

I also have my subwoofer located on the front wall (under the couch) and I've thought about adding a high-pass crossover in the past, but your recommendation may push me to actually add one. As for upgrading my subwoofer, I think you are absolutely correct and the SVS model you linked to looks great, but this is probably my biggest hurdle; spousal approval is a requirement, and this limits me to a "low profile" subwoofer that can fit under or behind a couch. Are you aware of a decent sub upgrade that happens to be low-profile?

Again, thanks again for your advice; much appreciated!

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You should have plenty of power. For a moderate price high pass crossover, HSU offers one for $99.

For a subwoofer meeting your needs, my first question is how comfortable are you building your own enclosure?

I have a pair of MCC2's flanking a flat screen and a CC3. They sound good and don't take up floor space.

I don't think they are better than the true ribbon models. Magnepan also has a tri-center concept but it requires special hardware to properly mate the three.
Glad you like your MMC 2 and CC3 combo; sounds like a great setup for home theater. I've thought about the the MMC 2's, but they are way outside my budget. I may be able to swing the MC1s at some point in the future, but for now, I'll just enjoy my MMGWs.

The main difference is that my wall-mount Maggies are used in a stereo-only setup (plus subwoofer) for listening to music, not for home theater. I know the MMGWs, MC1s and MMC 2's are ideal for home theater, but I think the wall-mount Maggies are underrated when used in a stereo, music-only setup (paired with a subwoofer).

You should have plenty of power. For a moderate price high pass crossover, HSU offers one for $99.

For a subwoofer meeting your needs, my first question is how comfortable are you building your own enclosure?
I'm somewhat comfortable building my own enclosure if it's in kit form, but not very comfortable if I need to cut the wood pieces myself.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

josh358

Glad you like your MMC 2 and CC3 combo; sounds like a great setup for home theater. I've thought about the the MMC 2's, but they are way outside my budget. I may be able to swing the MC1s at some point in the future, but for now, I'll just enjoy my MMGWs.

The main difference is that my wall-mount Maggies are used in a stereo-only setup (plus subwoofer) for listening to music, not for home theater. I know the MMGWs, MC1s and MMC 2's are ideal for home theater, but I think the wall-mount Maggies are underrated when used in a stereo, music-only setup (paired with a subwoofer).
Wendell Diller at Magnepan once played the on-walls for an audience of audiophiles, hidden behind a scrim. Everyone liked the sound. Then he removed the scrim -- and nobody wanted to buy them. Why? Because they didn't look big and cool.

They're a great option for people who want planar sound but don't have the room, or a cooperative spouse. I think they're severely underutilized.

Thanks for the suggestion. This looks similar to my current cheap-o Theater Solutions sub, and in fact the control panel looks to be identical; I'm guessing this control panel (and variable low-pass filter) are shared components with other manufacturers of cheap Chinese subs. The Dayton Audio is only slightly more expensive than my sub, but the driver looks to be a clear upgrade. The driver is larger and appears to be of better quality (at least from the pics), so this may in fact be a better option than my current sub. Thanks again for the suggestion.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the suggestion. This looks similar to my current cheap-o Theater Solutions sub, and in fact the control panel looks to be identical; I'm guessing this control panel (and variable low-pass filter) are shared components with other manufacturers of cheap Chinese subs. The Dayton Audio is only slightly more expensive than my sub, but the driver looks to be a clear upgrade. The driver is larger and appears to be of better quality (at least from the pics), so this may in fact be a better option than my current sub. Thanks again for the suggestion.

It should be an upgrade in output and sound quality. I suggest using two to help spread room modes out. Here is an article about setting up two subs: https://easyhometheater.net/setting-up-2-subwoofers . I understand your placement options are limited, but often times, even having subs a few feet apart can significantly decrease room modes.

Dayton Audio is a Parts Express house brand. They drivers are unique to them, high quality and generally priced less than the name brand competition. As you have correctly identified, they purchase generic Chinese amps with their label, as the amps are generally decent quality and it is hard to beat them (and there is is really no point) with a proprietary design.

Enjoy. Good sound does not need to cost much and setup makes a huge difference. I would rather have a well set up $1,000 system than a poorly set up $10,000 system.

SegaCD

I'll throw in my second opinion! I helped a friend design an affordable home theater system that would sound good for music too. He sent in some original MG-Is to be rewired (yup, they'll still support their 50 year old speakers!) and bought two MC1s for rear channels. The combination sounds great and makes his rather cramped basement sound much larger than it is.

The MC1 definitely has a limited frequency response and definitely would benefit from a subwoofer (& even a mid-sub... it rolls off really high). They're best as "secondary" speakers (surrounds, background music for a living room, casual TV viewing, etc).

To respond to this thread as a whole... Maggies are great. They're relaxing speakers to listen to, and I've always liked the "East Coast Sound" as they used to call it. I've been a big fan of them although I haven't heard much of them outside what my friend has and what I've heard in showrooms. I really disliked the few Martin Logan electrostats I've heard. Maybe I would have liked them with some room compensation/EQ but so far, they've always been too intense for me (particularly with regards to the high frequencies).

My favorite speakers have always been my old Rectilinear III High Boys. I swear they have all the smoothness/depth of Maggies with a decent sub/pleasing bass hump, wider sweet spot, & higher efficiency. Paired with a couple of super tweets (since they roll off around 12kHz (@ -6db/oct as its a first order crossover), they're audio heaven. I could listen to them all day.

josh358

I'll throw in my second opinion! I helped a friend design an affordable home theater system that would sound good for music too. He sent in some original MG-Is to be rewired (yup, they'll still support their 50 year old speakers!) and bought two MC1s for rear channels. The combination sounds great and makes his rather cramped basement sound much larger than it is.

The MC1 definitely has a limited frequency response and definitely would benefit from a subwoofer (& even a mid-sub... it rolls off really high). They're best as "secondary" speakers (surrounds, background music for a living room, casual TV viewing, etc).

To respond to this thread as a whole... Maggies are great. They're relaxing speakers to listen to, and I've always liked the "East Coast Sound" as they used to call it. I've been a big fan of them although I haven't heard much of them outside what my friend has and what I've heard in showrooms. I really disliked the few Martin Logan electrostats I've heard. Maybe I would have liked them with some room compensation/EQ but so far, they've always been too intense for me (particularly with regards to the high frequencies).

My favorite speakers have always been my old Rectilinear III High Boys. I swear they have all the smoothness/depth of Maggies with a decent sub/pleasing bass hump, wider sweet spot, & higher efficiency. Paired with a couple of super tweets (since they roll off around 12kHz (@ -6db/oct as its a first order crossover), they're audio heaven. I could listen to them all day.
Rectilinear III's! I know those speakers well, they're what my parents had. Brings back memories!

raindance

Major Contributor
The wall mount Maggies are single driver, if I remember correctly, so no crossover to a tweeter. I might be thinking of another model though. They should sound really nice. They've got to be about 45 degrees to the wall and then you get more (mid/upper) bass than one would expect and a really good phantom center effect. But the sub really has to be on the same wall as the speakers due to the rather high crossover freq. Most subs have fairly slow rolloff filters, so setting the sub a bit lower in freq might avoid a nasty 100Hz bump.

The Hsu VTF1 MKIII would be a good choice but it's not small. It has a steep crossover filter and is easy to integrate.

I've done custom installs using Tannoy in-wall subs which would certainly meet your WAF requirements :)

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The wall mount Maggies are single driver, if I remember correctly, so no crossover to a tweeter....

The MMC2 is a 2-way speaker on 1 sheet of mylar with an internal passive XO.

"... Think of our on-wall speaker this way-- We took the woofer out of our big 3-way speaker system. You are getting the midrange/tweeter portion with our on-wall model. You have the option of using a dynamic woofer. However, if you want the full-range Maggie sound, nothing has the speed for a seamless match with the midrange/tweeter on-wall like the Maggie Bass Panel. ..."

Magnepan MMC2

UPDATE: The MMG W documentation doesn't indicate 1-way or 2-way.

Last edited:

josh358

The wall mount Maggies are single driver, if I remember correctly, so no crossover to a tweeter. I might be thinking of another model though. They should sound really nice. They've got to be about 45 degrees to the wall and then you get more (mid/upper) bass than one would expect and a really good phantom center effect. But the sub really has to be on the same wall as the speakers due to the rather high crossover freq. Most subs have fairly slow rolloff filters, so setting the sub a bit lower in freq might avoid a nasty 100Hz bump.

The Hsu VTF1 MKIII would be a good choice but it's not small. It has a steep crossover filter and is easy to integrate.

I've done custom installs using Tannoy in-wall subs which would certainly meet your WAF requirements :)
I'd add to what g29 said that Magnepan's DWM planar woofer is a good way to handle the midbass region between the on-walls and a sub without muddying the planar sound.

Bald1

I enjoy mine. :D A pair of MGIII with modified crossovers, biamped, and augmented with a custom 18" subwoofer driven by a dedicated outboard amp.

SgvMo4Z.jpg

Top Bottom