• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

john5220

It doesn't work that way in many countries in Europe. The Customs there are pretty on the ball about such stuff and will hold the items until they determine the appropriate value of the item. Usually via a web search and the receiver usually will be required to pay the requisite tax value based on the MSRP of the item instead.

And that's on top of usually a penalty for inappropriate paperwork.

Not a happy thing when it happens ...

Ooh where I live in Trinidad and Tobago, customs will just assume a price and they will charge me $20 tax on an item that is supposed to be $140 in tax. They dont care much where i live so there is that

The freight forwarder usually helps out in a bogus price for tax also

john5220

Is the JBL 104 Pair as good as a hd 555 headphones? Or as good as mica mb42x?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How good are those jbl? And how is the bass?
Dunno how good they are. Probably not bad. Probably not great considering the size. Bass? It can't go that low at that size. Down to 60hz according to ratings.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
For anyone looking for studio monitors, the IK Multimedia iLoud MTM went on sale on Nov 26, and it's still on sale for $270usd/each (regular is $350usd/each).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NC6KFL8

They were nominated for the "NAMM 35th Annual TEC Award" on July 2019.
Winners will be announced next month.
These studio monitors are the most affordable of the nominees this year.

Watch reviews and decide for yourself whether these are worth purchasing.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ooh where I live in Trinidad and Tobago, customs will just assume a price and they will charge me $20 tax on an item that is supposed to be $140 in tax. They dont care much where i live so there is that

The freight forwarder usually helps out in a bogus price for tax also

At the risk of derailing the thread slightly, regardless of what T&T customs do many countries have pretty robust laws on the matter of import duties and valuing stuff correctly. The penalties can be quite serious and these laws tend to be enforced. If you are in a country which is part of the WTO then this is subject to international regulations.

maxxevv

Major Contributor

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
dbx is having a Black Friday (I guess) sale on some of their pro-oriented products. For example, if you go their site, the 223xs crossover is $20.00 off with free shipping and 30 day return deal. That's a 10% discount.
When is a deal not a deal? Read on. I purchased the crossover which came with a money back, free shipping offer. After using it I decided it wasn't helpful, so I called Harman for a return ticket. I was told it would be emailed in 10 minutes. Now, a week later, 3 calls later, and after two Web contacts, I've got nothing to show for it. I finally instituted a credit card dispute asking them not to pay the bill. I'll call Harman a fourth time and see what sort of story I'm told.

Very disappointed in Harman's lack of ability to process something very simple. I should have driven to my local Guitar Center and bought one from them. They take anything back and are generally very helpful.

PS: the 40Hz cutoff filters (two switches for stereo) were both defective. The were stuck and couldn't be defeated. Great customer service, and great QC.

Last edited:

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
The LG Rebel 4 makes a really decent DAP, but Amazon is jacking up the price from $25. The TracFone packaging is now up to $40, but the exact same phone, as of this moment, in Net 10 packaging is now $30. Take a look. I bought 3 for Christmas gifts. (You throw away the sim card and tracFone stuff, add a $5 32gb microsd, and use it on wifi..):

Net10 LG Rebel 4 4G LTE Prepaid Smartphone https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QHQ79XH/

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The LG Rebel 4 makes a really decent DAP, but Amazon is jacking up the price from $25. The TracFone packaging is now up to $40, but the exact same phone, as of this moment, in Net 10 packaging is now $30. Take a look. I bought 3 for Christmas gifts. (You throw away the sim card and tracFone stuff, add a $5 32gb microsd, and use it on wifi..):

Net10 LG Rebel 4 4G LTE Prepaid Smartphone https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QHQ79XH/

Does this have the same quad DAC in the phones higher up in the lineup?

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Does this have the same quad DAC in the phones higher up in the lineup?
No, it does not. But it utilizes a Snapdragon 425, and likely, a wdc9xx DAC. It drives my SHP9500 directly with headroom left, and followed with an NX3s, plenty for my preferred HE400i. IMO great for $25/$30 and likely better than MediaTek alternates.

It also supports OTG - I tested it with a powered OTG cable and Apple dongle - works. But the Apple dongle does have the usual anemic Android output.

Also, being QualComm, Bluetooth has their Apt-x and Apt-x HD codec options, as well as LDAC. But I have no idea if they work as I no longer use bt with my DAPs..

Last edited:
Top Bottom