• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

Veri

Master Contributor
thank you. I was googling on how to disable software volume in pc. I thought it can't be done, can it? I am using Windows 7x64
On software side you can use WASAPI or ASIO direct modes. System-wide it's less feasible. 100% volume is easiest approximation.

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For Bit-Perfect playback you need the computer to be at 100% volume or even better with disabled s.ware volume.

thank you. I was googling on how to disable software volume in pc. I thought it can't be done, can it? I am using Windows 7x64

JRMC-64 has a 64-bit internal volume control and the KTBD has a 32-bit interface. You probability can't do much better than that.

Bourneendboy

If anyone is looking for a nice high quality case, I have just put one up for sale in the classifieds ;)

4AhVDDZ.jpg

m3Fwm2J.jpg

DomieMic65

IMG_20191127_225444.jpgIMG_20191127_225620.jpgIMG_20191127_195106.jpg
Finally we decided to stick to this solution because even if my friend tested with extra USB input to cut the power 100% from USB.
I will post later some photos and video with the findings.

orangefx

i'd like to place the board hard to reach but connect 2 different usb sources. is there a way to connect 2 usb c cable without having to disconnect either one while the other is in use?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
i'd like to place the board hard to reach but connect 2 different usb sources. is there a way to connect 2 usb c cable without having to disconnect either one while the other is in use?
IIRC switching between them is done by presence or absence of 5V on the USB-C connector. You could use a USB cable with an inline power switch on that cable, or modify the board.

Veri

Master Contributor
To those eager for balanced khadas tone board. Member WolfX told me the designer of the KTB apparently started his own business, a balanced DAC will be the first product. Initial measurements look incredible. WolfX should get a unit for testing.

g29

To those eager for balanced khadas tone board. Member WolfX told me the designer of the KTB apparently started his own business, a balanced DAC will be the first product. Initial measurements look incredible. WolfX should get a unit for testing.

Thanks for the heads up. Khadas has been very tight lipped about the balanced version.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
i would need an USB y cable with an inline power switch on both. cant find something like that. would a usb hub work?
Sorry, I'm assuming too much knowledge about the TB. It has a second USB port on the VIM header - see this thread for details. This post has the details of the switching between the two, and a potential problem using USB-C to USB-C cables. You'd only need one inline power switch. If you want both USB hosts to share the existing port on the back of the TB the only thing I've seen that switches a USB device between hosts is a KVM switch using it to switch mouse and keyboard between two computers. You may be able to find one that does only USB though.

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
In fact, as far as I know, the designer of KTB has sent a smaller unit than you found to Amir. (a single 9038Q2M balanced output)

This unit is more similar to KTB-but the advantage is that it has a sturdy casing.

porotikos

my tone board is coming today. so, 2 quick questions
what is the best driver to install?
secondly, do i have to change any settings in my pc? i am using windows 7 x64 and listening to music through foobar (asio). are any settings needed in windows and foobar, or is it an automatic procedure for dac to maintain everything, after i install the drivers? thank you.
ps. ill try and make a tone board case out of the package. as seen in khadas facebook post

Haze

Okay I may be nuts but I swear the Thesycon Xmos drivers sound worse than the default Windows 10 drivers. Worse to the point I think they might be broken. The midrage is recessed, imaging is terrible and there is no instrument separation. I've done a few RMAA tests and the xmos drivers do test slightly worse than the default windows drivers but RMAA isn't super reliable.

Anyone else hearing this?

scruffy1

my tone board is coming today. so, 2 quick questions
what is the best driver to install?
secondly, do i have to change any settings in my pc? i am using windows 7 x64 and listening to music through foobar (asio). are any settings needed in windows and foobar, or is it an automatic procedure for dac to maintain everything, after i install the drivers? thank you.
ps. ill try and make a tone board case out of the package. as seen in khadas facebook post

foobar will let you define the sound out (once the driver is working)

library > configure > playbac > output >> device

porotikos

foobar will let you define the sound out (once the driver is working)

library > configure > playbac > output >> device
should i use
ds:speakers (xmos xs1-u8 mfa)
or
dsd ks: khadas tone control
or
ks: khadas tone control

these are the 3 options i see in foobar... no asio with khadas. should i reinstall asio and choopse this, if i see an option like " asio - khadas"? (or something like that)

btw i did a stupid thing. i wanted to connect my toneboard to my mixing console. and i had ordered rca to rca cables. and i just realised i need rca to jack cables. how stupid can i be? now i cant ttest the toneboard until i get these cables....
can someone confirm if i am correct using this cable?
https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/c02.html

i feel so stupid right now...

Top Bottom