• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Settings for JBL 306P

Tom C

Major Contributor
Just picked up a pair. Does anyone have a recommendation for where to set the volume knob?

KozmoNaut

In the middle is a good starting point.

I would set it to the lowest setting that allows the maximum volume level you wish to play at.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
If you have an unbalanced DAC feeding it turn the volume all the way up.

OP
Tom C

Tom C

Major Contributor
Thank you for your replies.
I plan to use them in a desktop Windows 10 setup, with Sabaj D5. I guess I’m thinking in terms of signal to noise and distortion. If there’s a sweet spot that’s somewhere other than 10 on the volume knob, that’s what I’d use, but I can’t find any graphs of output vs noise and distortion for the 306P.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
What you're asking about is called "gain staging". Set the volume of the Sabaj D5 and JBL 306P at 0dB (that is, without any attentuation or boost). The documentation should show where that is.

If you find it too loud, decrease the digital volume in Windows to any comfortable level.

D

Deleted member 2944

There's a sensitivity switch to consider as well.
With your D5 unit I would set that to +4dBu and the volume on Max. (That should probably work okay.)

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Tom C

Tom C

Major Contributor
Yes, I think you’re right. Amir’s measurements show minimum noise and distortion from the D5’s XLR outputs when the volume control is at maximum, so that’s where I’d want to set it. And it would seem then that the +4dB input setting on the 306P would be appropriate. Then control system volume on the PC, or maybe one of those little USB controls like Kal R. posted.
Thank you!

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
I have this same setup: Sabaj D5 driving JBL 306p MKIIs with Tidal (MacOS desktop app). I'm also looking for a USB volume knob to control the volume in Tidal... Can someone suggest a good one?

Thanks!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have this same setup: Sabaj D5 driving JBL 306p MKIIs with Tidal (MacOS desktop app). I'm also looking for a USB volume knob to control the volume in Tidal... Can someone suggest a good one?

Thanks!
I've not used one of these. Never thought of it. But it is a good idea. Here is one, and there are several similar at Amazon. I don't know if they work with Tidal, but suspect they would.

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Lossless-Computer-Controller-Adjuster/dp/B01MV411BR

KozmoNaut

I wonder if those could be repurposed as scrolling controllers and/or multifunctional rotary controllers for editing and other adjustments, provided they're accurate and precise enough.

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
I've not used one of these. Never thought of it. But it is a good idea. Here is one, and there are several similar at Amazon. I don't know if they work with Tidal, but suspect they would.

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Lossless-Computer-Controller-Adjuster/dp/B01MV411BR
I went ahead and ordered this... It does not work with Tidal. It only appears to be able to control system volume but not the tidal volume (I am running exclusive mode.) .

BTW the volume knob feels cheap on this thing...I'm probably going to return it :/

Top Bottom