• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers for savage

fas42

Major Contributor
Some stevi wonder songs in the key of life.. Could of turned it up a bit more lol

Sorry about the finger on the camera lol
Niiice ... ! Throwing up a good, tangible acoustic, with lots of depth - the "bigness" factor is getting into its stride - you're on your way! :)

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Niiice ... ! Throwing up a good, tangible acoustic, with lots of depth - the "bigness" factor is getting into its stride - you're on your way! :)
It was even better when I got more liberal with the volume.. Sound stage is huge, wide and with at least as much depth as my vivids in my room anyhow.

It's hilarious

fas42

Major Contributor
The sound holding together is in large part because of the amount of mass loading - making the carcase rigid in the room is so critical ...

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The sound holding together is in large part because of the amount of mass loading - making the carcase rigid in the room is so critical ...
Iv never had cheap speakers remain neutral and smooth right up the volume ladder.. You turn it up and they just sing louder.. Certainly they go as loud as I would want.

They are definitely zippy and more lively than my vivids! The vivid is laid back in comparison.

To my ears the Elac b6 just sounds correct..

fas42

Major Contributor
Trouble with cheap speakers normally is that their suspensions are not too brilliant - unless you thrash them, the suspensions never loosen up properly, they will sound dull and lacking in detail. It sounds like the designer of the Elacs went to some trouble to get that area sorted out, better than most.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Here's a compare of the Stereophile in-room log sweep with your Stevie Wonder (a bit of apples and oranges), but may show some broad similarities...

Anyway, just for grins...

upload_2016-12-12_18-17-44.png

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It was even better when I got more liberal with the volume.. Sound stage is huge, wide and with at least as much depth as my vivids in my room anyhow.
It's hilarious
Here's a compare of the Stereophile in-room log sweep with your Stevie Wonder (a bit of apples and oranges), but may show some broad similarities...

I wonder what a bit of judicious dsp might being to the plate?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Is that it for the Daily Reports?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Is that it for the Daily Reports?
Unlike getting PO'd over his Giva's rattling testicles (tincles), I think he's just spending time now enjoying the music. Having a change of life experience. LOL

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Nothing more to report on my Elac speakers, they work.. Yes they lack the resolution of my giya and yes the trailing decay of notes is truncated but the music is still there.. Not the scale or sense of realism but the fun meter runs high!

They are a mighty stand mount and infinitely better than any other sub £2k stand mount or floorstander iv owned.

Partner them with a few subs and decent dsp / sub integration and you have a decent speaker system.. My mb200 amps are plenty enough power, they don't seem hard to drive and I'm guessing they measure well as they seem consistent and correct to my ear..(I might be wrong, I'm sure if they measure crap you will rub it in my face:D) .

Can I live with them as my end speaker?....no iv been spoiled somewhat by vivid audio's colour free sound but at the same time the Elac's work and love a beating, they are hifi speakers.

You really can have music in your home that's hifi and not 10's of thousands of pounds/dollars.

Next stop is those JBL actives Ray bought, my intrest in the lower priced goods has been well and truly peaked.

fas42

Major Contributor
Nothing more to report on my Elac speakers, they work.. Yes they lack the resolution of my giya and yes the trailing decay of notes is truncated but the music is still there.. Not the scale or sense of realism but the fun meter runs high!

Next stop is those JBL actives Ray bought, my intrest in the lower priced goods has been well and truly peaked.
Trailing decay of notes truncated?? Shouldn't be so - more can done! What I would investigate next is how much conditioning is a factor - how they behave shortly after a listening session starts, from not working for an extended time; and compare that to the qualities after being hammered for a couple of hours - what does that tell me?

Also, what is the integrity of the internal connections? Loss of low level information, what happens when the quiet bits come point to weaknesses there - hard wiring would make a big difference.

Then, the crossover - how securely is it mounted, the quality of the components ...

The fade into silence should be 100% there - if not, then it's pointing to little things not being right ... $5 drivers can get this correct if everything is sorted.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Best news is that they are so inexpensive and resale loss is so minimal you won't sweat over trying a few others. Beyond the JBL's I'd recommend the current Hsu HB1-MK2 or coming soon CCB-8 Amir saw the proto types of at RMAF, but think availability in UK may be problem-sum. I'm sure they are a few more that offer big $ sound value.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Kharma are the 'distributor' they have 'preferred' dealers their most preferred dealer is a company who just happen to share the same address and is run by the son of the owner of Kharma!
That's why there are no JBL dealers, I have complained to JBL UK but they are feckless and indolent.
Didn't Kharma offer to demonstrate the 4367 to you themselves?
Keith

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Kharma are the 'distributor' they have 'preferred' dealers their most preferred dealer is a company who just happen to share the same address and is run by the son of the owner of Kharma!
That's why there are no JBL dealers, I have complained to JBL UK but they are feckless and indolent.
Didn't Kharma offer to demonstrate the 4367 to you themselves?
Keith
A while back they did, but last week i emailed the company in Scotland that seems the only outlet to sell JBL in the uk and the harmon distribution company but no reply...

It's really hard to buy their speakers.. Bizarre!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It is historical I was speaking just last week to the chap who was head at Harman at the time, Kharma were prepared to take everything so they got it,just an expedient.
The current JBL Uk guy was this chaps underling.
It is a shame, perhaps Samsung will sort them out.
Keith

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It is historical I was speaking just last week to the chap who was head at Harman at the time, Kharma were prepared to take everything so they got it,just an expedient.
The current JBL Uk guy was this chaps underling.
It is a shame, perhaps Samsung will sort them out.
Keith
Honestly JBL and indeed harmon could circumnavigate the ridiculous ' distribution/dealer' model that's truly pathetic ( no offence) in the uk.

A official harmon outlet in a nice part of London with staff that can travel would be far better.

As would a official factory owned And operated vivid audio outlet, far more effective than the broken system that exsists in high end audio..

More money needs to be put into the manufacturer, rather than eaten up in the distribution network if these companies ( more the smaller firms not harmon) are to match design to build quality,

Just my view , could be wrong but I'm not :D

Top Bottom