• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What VPN service do you use? Good or bad.

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Now it is Black Friday. There are tons of VPN deals - which one is good? Or which one is to avoid?

There are too many fake reviews online. I rather hear the opinions here!

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ProtonVPN for free works already 2 years fine.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Have had no real problems with nordvpn (paid) but as they don't accept PayPal any more I guess I will be looking for another one in a few years.
Have to admit that more and more websites block those using VPN and on some cases I get messages my IP (that of the VPN) is blocked due to certain activities. going via another server usually cures this. Not a problem, a bit of a nuisance now and then.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
I use Nord VPN. For perhaps a year. Mostly to their end points in the UK for iPlayer. Only had congestion/slow connection/refused connection a very few times. Always could easily find an alternate, as they have so many connection. Much better than Tunnel Bear which I tried briefly before.

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
I use Nord VPN. For perhaps a year. Mostly to their end points in the UK for iPlayer. Only had congestion/slow connection/refused connection a very few times. Always could easily find an alternate, as they have so many connection. Much better than Tunnel Bear which I tried briefly before.

Does Nord VPN work well with streaming BBC iPlayer in US? That is something I would want to do too.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Express VPN here. Compared to a couple others I've tried has consistently higher speeds. My only compliant is setting this up on a Linux machine is not simple.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NordVPN. I paid $99 for 3 years, almost two years ago. I've not had any problems and they have good documentation for some of the more technical setups (I employ policy based routing with an internet kill switch on an Asus router running Merlin's firmware).

DKT88

I have used VyprVpn for 5 years. I use it to access sites in the US that block me cause I'm living in Korea. Its fast enough to stream video and Tidal at high resolution. I've only had a couple sites block the vpn connection.

Another Bob

Forum Donor
Took advantage of the Black Friday deal for ProtonVPN two days ago. Super-easy to install and configure. No noticeable impact on performance. So far, so good.

Biblob

It's a shame a NordVPN server was hacked. Because of this I have lost confidence in Nord. Especially because they weren't transparant about it.
I can recommend Mullvad. Thinking of using AzireVPN.
You can check for yourself with this extensive comparison sheet:
VPN Comparison

Reactions: Tks

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Does Nord VPN work well with streaming BBC iPlayer in US? That is something I would want to do too.
Nord VPN works fine with iPlayer. But iPlayer itself is a bit quirky. On a phone/tablet with a touch screen - no problem. But if you want to use the iPlayer app on a TV streamer, like a Firestick, you need a 'mouse mode' on the controller. On the Firestick, you can download an app that provides 'mouse mode' on the Firestick controller when needed.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Other than iPlayer, what else is a VPN good for?

GeorgeWalk

I use NordVPN I like it. I also used PureVPN, but it was not very reliable.

Newk Yuler

ExpressVPN is excellent but pricey. Look for a VPN's extraordinary capabilities to fit your needs.

KozmoNaut

ProtonVPN, AirVPN and Mullvad are the only ones I trust.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ProtonVPN, AirVPN and Mullvad are the only ones I trust.

Indeed, but how much trust is required to simply circumvent the geoblocking on iPlayer? If that's the OP's only requirement, then i'd go for the cheapest one that offers a decent service and is good at playing whack-a-mole with the BBC (or small enough for the BBC to not notice).

Celty

I've been using PIA - Private Internet Access - for a few years now. It has been reliable with excellent speeds. $39.96 per year. Domestic and foreign servers.

PIA

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
Other than using iPlayer, another use for me is to access the Internet while I travel to China.

From what are suggested here, and from Internet reviews, I think the big and good ones are: Nordvpn, Express vpn, and PIA. Mullvad seems to be excellent too, but I think it is a smaller company. Nordvpn was hacked awhile ago. and PIA will soon be acquired by Kape Technology.

If Nordvpn has not been hacked, it seems to be a clear choice. There are many happy customers too.

Maybe it comes down to Express vpn vs Mullvad.

Top Bottom