• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Fiio K5 Pro

dmac6419

Major Contributor
One question for current owners: If you are playing music through your powered speakers and you decide to plug in your headphones, do the speakers automatically go off? And they won't come on again until you unplug the headphones? I assumed this is the way they all work, but you know what they say about assume.

Thanks
The headphone input doesn't turn off on the k5 or k5 pro I think,I'll hook em both up tomorrow to confirm,old age ya know

Rockfella

Forum Donor
One question for current owners: If you are playing music through your powered speakers and you decide to plug in your headphones, do the speakers automatically go off? And they won't come on again until you unplug the headphones? I assumed this is the way they all work, but you know what they say about assume.

Thanks
It does not. Both headphone/speakers work together. You have to take the headphone out/switch off speakers if you want to use one.

Shane D

Forum Donor
It does not. Both headphone/speakers work together. You have to take the headphone out/switch off speakers if you want to use one.

Wow, that is a surprise. That is too bad.

Shane D

Rockfella

Forum Donor
Wow, that is a surprise. That is too bad.

Shane D
Well what I think is they made is this way to save cost or else we would pay for that feature too. It is not a biggie for me though.

Shane D

Forum Donor
That is a deal breaker for me.

raif71

Major Contributor
Even I didn't know that :facepalm:. I always switch speakers off, plug headphones in when I want to use it and unplug headphones, then switch speakers on when listening to speakers. I've never tried both.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
Even I didn't know that :facepalm:. I always switch speakers off, plug headphones in when I want to use it and unplug headphones, then switch speakers on when listening to speakers. I've never tried both.
ROFL. Thing is some might like the idea of both headphones and speakers working together.. though it makes zero sense to me too.

Shane D

Forum Donor
I always leave my speakers on as they have sleep mode. I will just flick on the DAC/amp when I sit down to use the computer. I would just like to keep it simple for my wife. I will never use the headphone jack in this system. When I sit down I just want to hear my Vanatoo's.

Anybody else have any recommendations on a DAC/amp under $200.00US?

raif71

Major Contributor
I always leave my speakers on as they have sleep mode. I will just flick on the DAC/amp when I sit down to use the computer. I would just like to keep it simple for my wife. I will never use the headphone jack in this system. When I sit down I just want to hear my Vanatoo's.

Anybody else have any recommendations on a DAC/amp under $200.00US?

Well the volume knob on the K5 Pro acts as an on/off switch so if that was off, your speakers will sleep ie no signal (I'm assuming here). Is that what you want?

Shane D

Forum Donor
Well the volume knob on the K5 Pro acts as an on/off switch so if that was off, your speakers will sleep ie no signal (I'm assuming here). Is that what you want?

No, I just want the headphone jack to cut the signal to the speakers.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
No, I just want the headphone jack to cut the signal to the speakers.
Won't happen. I got mine connected to a dedicated power strip. I just switch that off (to switch speakers off)

Rockfella

Forum Donor
BLON 03s are so much fun :)

dragonka79

I have just received my K5 Pro and currently absolutely not satisfied with it.
I used my PC (cheap motherboard) to listen to music, connected Creative T20 to the PC then plugged in Beyerdynamic DT 831 Pro T20's phone jack.
I can hear almost no difference between the DAC's sound and the mobo's.
I have CDs and high res vinyls digitalized, I can tell the difference between the CD, the vinyl and even mp3 listening them even on PC.
Do I really need this DAC?
Or should I invest on a better headphone?
Or should K5 Pro be burnt-in?

Shane D

Forum Donor
I have just received my K5 Pro and currently absolutely not satisfied with it.
I used my PC (cheap motherboard) to listen to music, connected Creative T20 to the PC then plugged in Beyerdynamic DT 831 Pro T20's phone jack.
I can hear almost no difference between the DAC's sound and the mobo's.
I have CDs and high res vinyls digitalized, I can tell the difference between the CD, the vinyl and even mp3 listening them even on PC.
Do I really need this DAC?
Or should I invest on a better headphone?
Or should K5 Pro be burnt-in?

I looked at that device, but ruled it out because the headphone feed and speaker feed were simultaneous.
I ended up getting a Topping D30 and using one of my other amps. The difference was night and day. My motherboard just has a built-in sound card. I use these components to feed my Vanatoo T Zero active speakers. I inserted the amp in the chain so my wife could have a headphone jack.

dragonka79

I looked at that device, but ruled it out because the headphone feed and speaker feed were simultaneous.
I ended up getting a Topping D30 and using one of my other amps. The difference was night and day. My motherboard just has a built-in sound card. I use these components to feed my Vanatoo T Zero active speakers. I inserted the amp in the chain so my wife could have a headphone jack.
Sorry, you ruled it out what? You do not use any more K5 pro because you experienced the same as I did?

Shane D

Forum Donor
Sorry, you ruled it out what? You do not use any more K5 pro because you experienced the same as I did?

I looked at buying it to work with my computer, but I didn't like the way it outputs sound. So, I never actually used it.

However my cheapie DAC (Topping D30) did make quite a difference to the sound of the music.

I guess the point of my posting was to say that a good DAC is Very worth it.

dragonka79

Why do you think I would not? It is a dedicated DAC+AMP, not a noname sound chip integrated on the motherboard.
It should produce more decent sound. That is why it is much more expensive than a single mobo. BTW Amir recommended it. That is why.
Thank you for asking. Any stupid questions?

dragonka79

I looked at buying it to work with my computer, but I didn't like the way it outputs sound. So, I never actually used it.

However my cheapie DAC (Topping D30) did make quite a difference to the sound of the music.

I guess the point of my posting was to say that a good DAC is Very worth it.
Thank you. I then send it back. Maybe a D10+Atom or Sabaj D5 wins.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Thank you. I then send it back. Maybe a D10+Atom or Sabaj D5 wins.
The Fiio k5 pro is a decent dac/amp for $150, I have the k5 and k5pro,run it for a few days and then see if you like it or not,it much better than your onboard sound.You pushing powered speakers with this if not the jbl 305's are like $90.

Top Bottom