• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some Random Measurements (Focal/Giya/Kef/Klipsch)

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some very casual measurements. Since I have now stopped using Roon, I may have to use other EQ solutions (or just leave it at that) which is why I decided to take a quick look at where I stood.

First the Giya G3 and Focal Scala Utopia at approx 1m, roughly aligned with the tweeter - not sure what to make of the sub 30Hz value/behavior.
No EQ active. 1/6 smoothing

red-giya-blue focal.jpg

Now, the same, at the listening position. The room seems to interact a lot around 35Hz (fwiw is is a 60 sq meters shaped as an irregular L)
The Giyas are probably not aimed properly at the listening position, their side woofers seem to interact a bit much with something (they are the lightest, so they are the ones that get moved around)
1/6 smoothing
red-giya-blue focal - listening.jpg

KEF LS 50 + sub at the listening position (room is 9m by 4m) but the triangle isn't equilateral by any means because of the room. Listening distance roughly 2.5 times the triangle base. 1/3 smoothing

kef+sub at listening post.jpg

The sub uses its own parametric EQ so working a bit with it improves things (1/3 smoothing here)
woofer.PNG

Anf finally, for giggles, the Klipsch Reference 7 + dual Subs as "optimized" by whatever room equalization the Marantz SR7008 has (Audigy 32 I think) at the listening position from 5Hz to 30 KHz. The subs sure do shake the room and the horn yells as expected. I don't really like the Klipsch, but high efficiency was a requirement at the time because of what I thought of AVR wattage ratings.
marantz-dual sub.jpg

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Long narrow room. The in room response of my LS50's way different. Shows what rooms can do.

OP
PierreV

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Long narrow room. The in room response of my LS50's way different. Shows what rooms can do.

Indeed! And that room is a bass canon. The sub (SVS SB16 Ultra) is definitely overkill. I think I will downgrade it.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Indeed! And that room is a bass canon. The sub (SVS SB16 Ultra) is definitely overkill. I think I will downgrade it.
How do you integrate your sub? Do you have a high pass on the mains, external crossover or delay?

OP
PierreV

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you integrate your sub? Do you have a high pass on the mains, external crossover or delay?

Depends a bit on the amplifier it is running with, but I mostly rely on the SVS Android application

Here's the list of options

Screenshot_20191127_210653_com.svsound.svs.jpg

for example

Screenshot_20191127_210926_com.svsound.svs.jpg

I adjust with REW on the fly. Usually run with two different profiles (the app supports 3), one "acoustic" profile and one "electronic" profile. They are similar in terms of PEQ and phase (somewhat obviously) but the electronic profile runs 10 dB higher than the acoustic one at the overall level.

Short of auto-equalizing subs (which, when I looked, were much more expensive for less ooompf) I think it is the best option for me. I did also use EQ profiles in Roon, but I discontinued my subscription a month or so ago.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Are you running the LS50's full range, no high pass filter?
What do you have the low pass filter set to on the sub?

OP
PierreV

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
110, slope 12dB - no hi pass on the current amp

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like your room heavily influences the response until at least 600 hz and a bit beyond maybe even to 800 hz. I've a similarly sized room just very slightly larger and have a nasty room resonance at 34 hz.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
110, slope 12dB - no hi pass on the current amp

Just for fun try a much lower low pass, 50 or 60 Hz and experiment with a faster roll off to tame excessive bass. Check it with REW, and adjust if necessary.

OP
PierreV

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like your room heavily influences the response until at least 600 hz and a bit beyond maybe even to 800 hz. I've a similarly sized room just very slightly larger and have a nasty room resonance at 34 hz.

Indeed - and that is without the dual subs being active. I am a bit torn on that one. I do have an exercise bike just at the back of the sweet spot, behind the couch, and can cycle for a couple of hours listening to "stimulating" music. The bump in the mid-thirties is welcome at that time, especially since so many "electronic" music composers love to hit around 32Hz. But for other types of music (such as chamber music), relaxing on the couch, I had that mostly corrected through roon.

That being said, the fun is in the music, the tinkering and, in fitting the EQ to the mood/activity, not in trying to reach some kind of ideal.

Top Bottom