• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Roon player getting too bloated and buggy too???

Svperstar

I'm curious why do you guys use Roon?

I switched from Foobar to MusicBee at home because it "just works" and does literally everything I need with no fuss with a clean and usable UI.

At work I use Spotify. So what is the deal with Roon?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It appears you can also now select ‘hi-fi ‘ as well as ‘master’ in Tidal, the death of MQA
Keith

Ceburaska

Forum Donor

I switched from Foobar to MusicBee at home because it "just works" and does literally everything I need with no fuss with a clean and usable UI.

At work I use Spotify. So what is the deal with Roon?
In detail here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/roon-experience-on-a-budget.9928/
Summary, it works better on my crappy WiFi than Spotify, especially with Chromecast audio. On my main Hi-Fi it also has fewer drop outs, plus integrates my downloads, ripped CDs and streaming.
In addition, it is easy enough for me to use. Most computer audio stuff involves too much IT crap I have no patience, or talent, for.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

1) Because Deezer won't support wasapi or any direct mode.
2) Because Sonos won't play my higher than CD resolution files and doesn't have a radio, discover, or similar mode.
3) Because JRiver won't support any streaming services.
4) Because I insist on being able to play back my local music and streaming sources from the same program.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Fixed the issue. Turns out to be the same problem as the last upgrade. The LAN setting needs to be Private, not public. My new PC by default was setting the type to public. This was causing the core to not see the client devices somehow. Strange dependency and one that is not documented.

I'll be interested in whether the buggy issues you noticed have been resolved, or if there are any other performance changes. I don't have a very big personal collection of music, but it seems many complaints we're related to database management issues...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

TimW

Major Contributor
I went through the update last night without any issues. The new live radio is much better then the beta version was, which I could never get to work. The suggested new releases is pretty cool too, I'm digging this new Coltrane compilation Blue World. And the android app works sooo much better now. I was having weird display artifacts, occasional clicking sounds when multitasking, and the app would fail to connect to my core a lot of the time. I would have to close and restart the app a few times until it finally decided to work. I picked up an Amazon Fire Tab just for use as a remote and was bummed when I realized they hadn't updated the app for that last night. Just got word from Roon that the Fire OS app should be ready to update now though.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'll be interested in whether the buggy issues you noticed have been resolved, or if there are any other performance changes. I don't have a very big personal collection of music, but it seems many complaints we're related to database management issues...
They have not been consistent. I have had problems with Roon not being to log into Tidal even though I can through the browser. Restart usually fixes it. I have had to restart the core because the client all of a sudden could show the database.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Wow, that's going in the wrong direction. I wonder if their metadata provider jacked up their price or something.

Just less and less incentive to stay in expensive money mode (one time payment...not a penny for the rest of my cold cranky existence...), and move to a long term payment stream mode.

My guess is that they will not make money in the long term on lifetime subscriptions, and the more confident they are in their own future, the less likely it is to stay around.

After 4 years I'm ahead of the game...

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
I went on roonlabs community and noticed an offer from Danny Dulai to allow recent trialers and annual members to upgrade to lifetime at the old rate. I’ve emailed them to do so, hopefully it will be honoured.
See this thread
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/lifetime-price-increased-499-699/84083/22
I was indeed allowed to upgrade to lifetime membership at the old price, Roon answered me very quickly, all done smoothly.
I wish they had announced the price rise first and thus avoided this rather backwards procedure, but I’m pleased they have given this method to new triallers to avoid a pretty steep increase.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
1) Because Deezer won't support wasapi or any direct mode.
2) Because Sonos won't play my higher than CD resolution files and doesn't have a radio, discover, or similar mode.
3) Because JRiver won't support any streaming services.
4) Because I insist on being able to play back my local music and streaming sources from the same program.
5) Because only with Roon I can stream multichannel tracks wirelessly

JimB

Forum Donor
Been out of the country. Just updated mine today. No issues so far. I bought the lifetime subscription a year ago, figuring I would use it at least long enough to get my money out of it versus annual fees. I too think such lifetime offers are about getting cash up front for launching and are not offered long term.

Tks

Major Contributor
JRiver.. sensible company with transparent and sane pricing for folks. Update if and when you want a big update. Active customer service at nearly all times.

Roon.. audiophile type company looking like Apple when it lost it's way. (I speak from impression, not experience).

Also, I never update my devices anymore unless there is a mega enticing offer/feature, or unless it's a web browser (a must in this security pitfall of a planet we live in now).

EDIT:

That Roon update is worse than I thought. "Machine Learning" "AI" "Cloud database", yeah not using my data for free you wont. This would be the end of updating for me if this was forced. Had enough of these sorts of companies if it could be helped..

mi-fu

Forum Donor
I honestly can't see how a music file management system can be on a subscription model. Unlike streaming services, AI recommendation is just unnecessary.

As it really wants to turn to subscription-only model, they do need to create some new features, no matter how unnecessary they are...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Unlike streaming services, AI recommendation is just unnecessary.
There is streaming services in the form of Qobuz and Tidal. I discover tons of new content this way through Roon. I play one album and then it switches to radio mode and most of the time finds music that is similar. So it is quite useful this way.

Top Bottom