• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nord Three SE 1ET400A Dual Mono Teardown

murraycamp

Forum Donor

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I still there might be some confusion. Our stereo amps don't use the Purifi modules.

Well the Purifi are better, but the value for money equation is always going to be a personal decision. :)
I see, my mistake, then I should have just said Hypex. All the more reason for your post to clarify things. + free advertising!

Labjr

Major Contributor
Sometimes I think the engineering department at Nord consists of a guy with a cordless drill.
Their mechanical assembly looks similar to some of the Hypex amps built by amateurs.

maty

Major Contributor
They say a picture is worth a thousand words:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-of-purifi-1et400a-amplifier.7984/post-194469

index.php

index.php

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For heatsinks to work properly there needs to be a good, preferably large, flat surface on the thing one wishes to cool so that the thermal contact and heat transfer is efficient.
There is no such surface on a purify module...
But the big, silver plates on the PSUs are prime candidates. Rotate one module 180º, rethink a little wiring, done.

And swap the XLR & binding posts that are nearer to the AC inlet while you're at it. (@ Nord, not Frank.)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Those are not custom chassis for Nord, they are premade from a supplier who build them with regular class AB amps in mind. It's not like Nord added the useless heatsinks on purpose...

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Those are not custom chassis for Nord, they are premade from a supplier who build them thinking of regular class AB amps in mind. It's not like Nord added the useless heatsinks on purpose...
That's true. And it does give the right impression of what an amp should look like. I must stay, despite everything I know, when I see a power amplifier without exposed heatsinks, it looks odd to me! :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I like to make sure the context is not lost. Building one of these amps with lethal voltages present is not something typical audiophile wants to do. So companies like NORD provide a good service and they need to charge enough to make a living. If you think they are charging too much, you are welcome to set up shop to compete with them. :)

I just bought a $28 dual XLR to 4.4 mm adapter cable even though I could build one for less. There is something to be said to use your time for other things that you really love than "work." And not take a chance of damaging expensive modules because you wired them wrong.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Those are not custom chassis for Nord, they are premade from a supplier who build them thinking of regular class AB amps in mind. It's not like Nord added the useless heatsinks on purpose...
For this much money, I'd expect a custom case, or at least one that makes sense. And better layout while we're at it!

ta240

Major Contributor
For this much money, I'd expect a custom case, or at least one that makes sense. And better layout while we're at it!

A DIY amp looking like that would get a pass. A $2,500 professionally built amp, not so much.

If you think they are charging too much, you are welcome to set up shop to compete with them.

Oh come on, that is the weakest argument that exists. Every bad comment about any product on here could be dismissed that way. If you don't like the ACA then you are welcome to offer a competing kit. Don't like how the Ciunas products are put together? Where's your DAC to compete with it? You are welcome to make one. Didn't like that AV receiver? Well, lets see what you are making and selling?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Oh come on, that is the weakest argument that exists. Every bad comment about any product on here could be dismissed that way. If you don't like the ACA then you are welcome to offer a competing kit. Don't like how the Ciunas products are put together? Where's your DAC to compete with it? You are welcome to make one. Didn't like that AV receiver? Well, lets see what you are making and selling?
I have set up shop to sell hardware in these kinds of quantities. It is a pain in the neck and at the end, you lose money and work for below minimum wage. The work got too much. So we hired a high-school student out of a program where they tried to find jobs for A+ students. A bit after, the bank says someone has been forging our checks. We track it down to said kid who was using our checkbook to buy drugs! His father then told us the kid had had serious drug problems. These are the hassles you are not including in your calculus.

So no, it is not a weak argument. A business model has to exist for companies to stay in business. If a cheaper business model exists, let's hear it. Otherwise this can't be a criticism. Customers want ready made products. How are they going to get there cheaper?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A custom case would make it much, much more expensive.
The case is the most expensive part of a component (alongside the power transformer in linear supply component)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Quite a few folks here think companies should exist to provide them with products but not make any money.

Just take all the risk and put your all into it while i sit here and moan about it not being as cheap as a potato.

Nord stuff is about as reasonably price as one can get. There's literally nothing to moan about , pay more for a better case by all means lol

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
A custom case would make it much, much more expensive.
The case is the most expensive part of a component (alongside the power transformer in linear supply component)
That's certainly true of cases like the machined-from-solid type, but a simple metal box with holes in the right places?

Labjr

Major Contributor
The assembly and the cases makes Nord products look like kits. Seems like Dozens of brands are using the same power supply and amplifier modules. And they aren't doing a whole lot to differentiate themselves besides using slightly different input modules. ATI's linear supplies is probably the largest difference. Some companies using Hypex don't even reveal what's inside until the reviewer removes the cover.

It may be all over for them when someone like Topping makes a Class D amp which nearly equals the performance.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It may be all over for them when someone like Topping makes a Class D amp which nearly equals the performance.

Or when someone simply copies the NCore modules. There's nothing special in them apart from the firmware on the PIC and that's not exactly hard to extract. I think you'll see a stripped down, completely different form factor (more practical for heatsink mounting) Chinese product if there isn't one already. A module at a small fraction of the Hypex prices.

In the meantime, module prices are artificially held high to recoup investment and bank a war chest to fight the copiers.

Top Bottom