• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATI AT522NC Stereo Amplifier Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So you ignore all of my questions because answering them would be devastating to your reputation. Is Revel not a Harman company?
It is but there is no such thing as "harman speakers." Harman is a corporate entity that owns many brands from JBL to Infinity, Becker, Harman Kardon, Revel, Lexicon, etc. If you don't know enough about them to know this, best to stay away from throwing rocks at them.

And I didn't ignore your question. I answered in full. You instead, are too afraid to even tell us what system you own. Ban issued for two weeks as I warned you.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How many driver manufacturers does Harman own, and they couldn't build the Revel flagship drivers at one of them.
I don't know, and I don't care. They are not relevant to this thread about ATI amplifier. No one has told you to go buy Revel speakers. You have heard people follow peer reviewed, world-class research from the company. That is all.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
And blow smoke up everyones asses with marketing BS about science. And you take the bait hooklike and sinker. And at the same time claim to fight these types of companies. Very mixed messages here Amir.
You continue to not understand the difference between respecting research from a company, and its products. This tells me you don't understand either. I suggest subscribing to AES and ASA. Downloading the papers and reading the research. Then come back after your two week ban is expired, tell us what alternative sound science you follow.

You also seem to want a fight where you can find it. Once more this thread is about amplifiers. Not speakers. Not Harman. If you can't understand this, then find another place that lets you post this way. We won't ever make you happy.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ATI specs for the AT522NC are 200 WPC into 8 Ohms and 300 WPC into 4 Ohms FTC with <0.03 THD average power.

ATI AT522NC Stereo Class D Amplifier Power into 4 Ohm from 20 to 20 kHz Audio Measurements.png

Does this indicate some kind of averaging the power over the entire frequency range to achieve this spec?

- Rich

oldsysop

Having so many excellent class A / B amplifiers does not make any sense to me class D.

Edit :
Amir: With all due respect it doesn't seem right to threaten Audiocrusader with a suspension.
I do not see that there has been disrespect or inflicted any norm
But it is your site and you can do whatever you want. :confused:

rodtor

Forum Donor
Having so many excellent class A / B amplifiers does not make any sense to me class D.

Edit :
Amir: With all due respect it doesn't seem right to threaten Audiocrusader with a suspension.
I don't agree. I have only noticed his interventions over the last few days, but I believe he has been consistently rude throughout that time.

jasonq997

Forum Donor

Edit :

Actually it is pretty clear he is just trying to drum of a fight. There wasn't a lot of organic reasoning behind the sudden questions about Amir's integrity or strange anger over Harman's lack of an in house speaker driver factory.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
He is a guy that had huge fights with me in the past in other forums (going completely crazy, cursing, etc.). We have banned his previous logins here but he keeps making new ones and coming back only to fight. I humor him but get a lot of complaints behind the scenes to ban him permanently. As I told those people, I am giving him three chances. He has used up two of them.

Knwntorun

Edit :

This is Audimus' alter ego, back just to post once adios as I was banned for a week just now for "having an agenda and taking us for fools". No warnings, no indication on the site I have been banished.

Don't know if it was Amir or a moderator who did this, since they did not sign the message and didn't even have the guts to say that I have been banned so others can read what was done.

Given this behavior I no longer wish to participate here. You can delete both this and my Audimus account now.

I have learnt a lot and there are a lot of great people here. I will miss them. I hope some of my posts have been helpful and some provoking but never with bad intentions or bad faith. At some point all forums degenerate to this level of authoritarianism and then it is time to leave.

Bye.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
He is a guy that had huge fights with me in the past in other forums (going completely crazy, cursing, etc.). We have banned his previous logins here but he keeps making new ones and coming back only to fight. I humor him but get a lot of complaints behind the scenes to ban him permanently. As I told those people, I am giving him three chances. He has used up two of them.
Amirm the merciful , all hail our benevolent ruler !

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
ATI specs for the AT522NC are 200 WPC into 8 Ohms and 300 WPC into 4 Ohms FTC with <0.03 THD average power.
Here is the same graph but with THD+N threshold set to 0.03% and bandwidth reduced to 45 kHz (was 90 kHz):
1574311141960.png

As you see, below 10 kHz, it is able to easily exceed 300 watts.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Could you do that peak power test?
Sure. Here you go:

ATI AT522NC Stereo Class D Amplifier Power into 4 ohm Max vs Peak Audio Measurements.png

I will need to repeat this test on others to see how they scale (they details of this comparison is different than previous).

For now, that is a good bit of headroom.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is Audimus' alter ego, back just to post once adios as I was banned for a week just now for "having an agenda and taking us for fools". No warnings, no indication on the site I have been banished.
You were banned for a week trying to be insulting. It is also annoying to read your negative posts in thread after thread. Like this one I responded to:

Which makes me think people aren’t really objective when it comes to interpreting data and suffer from every possible human bias to form opinions but consider themselves objective because it is based on “objective measurements”. A fallacy. :confused:
I do all this work to measure this gear and this is the nonsense I wind up dealing with. Not in one thread, but multiple. The data is presented to you for free. Use it if you like. Ignore if you don't. It gets tiring to take so much time to keep defending myself and the site. You took advantage of our gentle moderation by piling on and on. Learn to be respectful. It is not much to ask.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I like the idea of a linear power supply. I would think long term reliability is better.

oldsysop

Then you are right.
I just bother that he has listed his high-end equipment and will force him to say which one he has.
I didn't know the story behind.
Thanks for the clarification.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
You heard a hum in ALL of those amps? Seriously? Or are you talking about seeing them in a measurement?

Perhaps there is a market for power line conditioners after all to remove any DC component in your lines. :)
Mechanical hum from torroids is nothing unusual, ask Naim owners.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Could you post a spectrum if input signal is 440kHz and/or 900kHz sine 10mV amplitude?
My high-performance generator out AP can only go up to 20 kHz. My external function generator can go way higher but has poor dynamic range so not sure if that is good enough for what you are asking. Here it is anyway. First at 200 kHz :

1574315308296.png

The cursor is at the switching frequency which is at 433.7 kHz. Setting the function gen to 433 kHz makes no difference:

1574315518627.png

Any intermodulation distortion may be well below the noise floor we are seeing.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It gets tiring to take so much time to keep defending myself and the site.

Why not just ignore it? I don't think you need to defend yourself and the site constantly: the overall quality of the exchanges here speaks for itself. There's an infinite supply of trolls and this could turn into a game of whack a mole with an unavoidable emotional toll. And for us, mere mortals who aren't familiar with all the backstage stories, it is sometimes hard to tell the differences between genuine healthy disagreements and subtle trolling...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Adding square waves to amp measurements, like Stereophile, would be appreciated.
JA doesn't mention the bandwidth for the measurement which makes a big difference. Here it is at 1 Mhz bandwidth (same 1 kHz tone/amplitude he uses):

1574316035370.png

What now? :)

Top Bottom