• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer A800

Tangband

Major Contributor
It would be very interesting to read a review of behringers New class D amplifier A800 . Is it possible ?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Somehow, I don't think it will be all that great.

Krusty09

Forum Donor
This just came into my head because of all the talk about digital amps but does anyone know what happened to Sony S-Master Pro amps that were once around ? With all this testing of amps i'm wondering if they were any good?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't S Master Pro still used by Sony in their audio products? I don't think they abandoned the technology, they basically abandoned hifi except for headphones.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the Behringer, my experience of their amplifiers is that they feel low rent but provide bags of power very cheaply and work well. They probably don't measure especially well but in reality they sound fine. They aren't selling themselves as audio jewellery or a premium product but as value for money working products and they deliver on that.

Veri

Master Contributor
I have a A800 I been using for the last few months before I review it on my YouTube channel IowAudio Review. After I do my video I could send it in so we can find out if its really any good.
That would be nice indeed :)

ThsM

I have a A800 I been using for the last few months before I review it on my YouTube channel IowAudio Review. After I do my video I could send it in so we can find out if its really any good.

Do you use the A 800 with some hifi speakers or within a studio or just as a subwoofer amp?

I just wonder, if you hear any background noise, if the A800 is on, but no music is playing. And if there is some "popping" noise when you turn it on or off.

I'm asking, as I am looking for an affordable stereo amp for my the bookshelf speakers :)

IowAudio

Forum Donor
I've been using it as my main power amp to drive my home stereo setup. I run spdif/optical from my PC to a Emotiva PT-100 DAC/Preamp and that feeds signal to the A800 via RCA. So far in my use case its dead quiet when not playing music and even when playing high quality audio files. I have the gain on the A800 set just a click or two under max and use the PT-100 to control overall volume. Typical preamp/amp relation. I've left it on for days by accident to find it only barely warm and after hours of near clipping rocking out with a case of beer and Rush 2112 it gets good and warm but never actually hot. I had a Sony V333ES I loved dearly before this but it was big, hot, and heavy. For me the A800 beats it in every way and has convinced me of Class D's potential. Possibly even getting a second and running 2 of them in mono so I have 800w x 2. Not cause I need it but having lots of head room should allow the amps to stay more composed. If you watch my sound demo on the DCM bookshelfs or the Sony CS5 put on some headphones to get a vague taste of the A800. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpT_kN60jHU2YBhpiyW0ChA

I hope this amp doesn't test out as absolute junk cause I do like it a lot. Not sure who I need to be in contact with to get this thing sent in and scrutinized.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I hope this amp doesn't test out as absolute junk cause I do like it a lot. Not sure who I need to be in contact with to get this thing sent in and scrutinized.

Depends on your definition of junk. Lots of people are happy with the Crown XLS 1502 which measures 76 db SINAD. A few around here opine that it is junk.

ThsM

I've been using it as my main power amp to drive my home stereo setup. I run spdif/optical from my PC to a Emotiva PT-100 DAC/Preamp and that feeds signal to the A800 via RCA. So far in my use case its dead quiet when not playing music and even when playing high quality audio files. I have the gain on the A800 set just a click or two under max and use the PT-100 to control overall volume. Typical preamp/amp relation. I've left it on for days by accident to find it only barely warm and after hours of near clipping rocking out with a case of beer and Rush 2112 it gets good and warm but never actually hot. I had a Sony V333ES I loved dearly before this but it was big, hot, and heavy. For me the A800 beats it in every way and has convinced me of Class D's potential. Possibly even getting a second and running 2 of them in mono so I have 800w x 2. Not cause I need it but having lots of head room should allow the amps to stay more composed. If you watch my sound demo on the DCM bookshelfs or the Sony CS5 put on some headphones to get a vague taste of the A800. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpT_kN60jHU2YBhpiyW0ChA

Thanks, sounds good :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

That would be @amirm

Duckeenie

I hope this amp doesn't test out as absolute junk cause I do like it a lot.

Never judge a man by his choice of woman or his choice of work amp.

IowAudio

Forum Donor
The audio bleed through is only when the source is connected directly to the amp. If using a mixer or preamp this is NOT and issue.

Duckeenie

Genuine question. Can someone explain how the A800 can output 800W from only 60W of mains power if class D is said to be ~90% efficient?

KozmoNaut

Genuine question. Can someone explain how the A800 can output 800W from only 60W of mains power if class D is said to be ~90% efficient?

That's a typo, it's actually 1333.33% efficient!

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Internal Capacitors for momentary power bursts, not seen at the mains (60w in this case) input side. Like a 2,400W mains input charging up an electric car that is rated at 200KW (200,000W). Also I believe that mains input rating is an average likely use case not maximum possible, as the appliance (amp in this case) is not a fully resistive load like a heater. Could be wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom