• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
IMG_3811.jpg
measurements.jpg
Linearity-(-20.jpg
THD-Ratio.jpg
Multi.jpg
SMPTE-Ratio.jpg

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
What happened in the THD vs. freq test?

peterq

One dumb question, in Amirm testing result, the 32 tone result in low frequency(20hz), it's about 130db, in your measurement, it's 110db, I mean amirm's result is at least 10db better than yours. Why?

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
What happened in the THD vs. freq test?

Higher than 6.67K, you will not see the third harmonic. Above 10K, you will not see the second harmonic

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
One dumb question, in Amirm testing result, the 32 tone result in low frequency(20hz), it's about 130db, in your measurement, it's 110db, I mean amirm's result is at least 10db better than yours. Why?

I believe this is related to the FFT settings.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
So there is rising overall distortion/noise, but then those H2 and H3 readings disappear? Is this an issue with the settings? The same is not visible in: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...bre-pro-mqa-best-audio-dac-in-the-world.8729/

What FFT size are you using?

In that test Amir used 90KBW (so keep H2, H3 to high frequency).
I will do it again tomorrow with the same standards.

I am a bit confused about some of the settings of the Multitone test. I need some time to learn how to use it.

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
其实只损伤了一点多音性能,仍然比绝大部分dac强

很强是没有错啦 只是这按下葫芦浮起瓢……

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In that test Amir used 90KBW (so keep H2, H3 to high frequency).
I will do it again tomorrow with the same standards.

I am a bit confused about some of the settings of the Multitone test. I need some time to learn how to use it.
These are the parameters of @amirm's tests I have assembled so far (maybe @amirm can fill in any missing data):
  • Dashboard: THD samplerate=44.1 kHz, signal = 1kHz 24 Bit 0dBFS dithered, FFT=32k averages=3
  • Jitter: samplerate=48 kHz, JTest signal 24 Bit, FFT=256k? averages=8
  • Multitone 32: samplerate=192 kHz, signal 24 Bit: FFT=256K averages same as jitter? (I use 32)
  • IMD vs level: 48 kHz?
  • DAC reconstruction filter frequency response: signal=white noise, samplerate input > samplerate output, FFT=32k, averages=32 or much more
You should change your dashboard to the settings shown above. Currently your FFT size and averages are too high (the noise floor disappears below the graphic) and the dashboard cannot ve compared visually with @amirm's or my measurements.

Since I have no AP I've created the multitone-32 test signal by myself (I have a DIY command line tool which creates WAV files) and play it with VLC-Player (Linux) or foobar2000 (Windows) while catching the results of the DUT with REW.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Why use the same parameters? We need some varieties in the measurements. And 20/22khz bandwidth in much more meaningful than 90khz. Using 90khz is like: hmmm we can't see harmonics after 20khz causing thd to drop after 7khz so lets add more noise so that we can't see any distortion!
The current setup is very good you don't need to change it.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
For comparison. You can still add measurements with other parameters as well but the standard tests should be standardized. Especially when models are retested. Otherwise people can claim that ASR measurements are invalid because they are not consistent.
One person should have consistent measurement parameters yes but he doesn't need to follow amir's parameters. Especially when some parameters are not working very well.

Yviena

I would actually like to see a measurement around 900khz ESS sabre usually has a spike around there according to diyaudio forum.

Yviena

I wonder how the XSPDIF-2 via i2s interacts with the matrix pro, i think matrix audio themselves, or at least a dealer of theirs mentioned that it will further improve performance, and that the sound is better when fed with XSPDIF-2 with these settings, Jitter reducer off, Sync mode, and MCLK dip-switch set to ON so that the master clock fed is the one located inside XSPDIF-2.
If there actually is a difference i expect it to be because of the LVDS port which is galvanically isolated.

Top Bottom