• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live and color blindness

Flak

Industry Insider
We have learned that the color blindness of some Dirac Live users makes it very difficult for them to use the 2.x calibration tool.
I'm pleased to inform that a dedicated color scheme will be included in the next release.

Flavio

DaleMurray

as a whole, more industries need to take into account colorblindness. For example, I've seen several posts in these forums where people show multiple response curves in a single image - I cannot discern which line is associated with with source.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
as a whole, more industries need to take into account colorblindness. For example, I've seen several posts in these forums where people show multiple response curves in a single image - I cannot discern which line is associated with with source.
Agreed. I have that problem here, on other websites and at the NY Times.

audimus

It would be much better if the OS itself implemented something that applied to all software on the machine like they have increased contrast option in Accessibility rather than have each app take care of it. They could have a switch that made the system automatically process the pixels to increase color contrast or alter areas of known indistinguishable adjacent colors for the colorblind with a transformation that took it out of that range. The current processors and GPUs are powerful enough to do this processing in real time. Apps could make sure that when this correction was applied, it did not look grotesque.

It is not trivial for applications to make sure of being color-blind safe on their own. Having a color scheme that satisfies all the different kinds of color blindness AND satisfies all aesthetic sensibilities for everybody else is not trivial. Or they would have to provide multiple schema choices that people can select from. Not all software has the means or motivation to do so. It is even more difficult to address this at a web site design level across all sites.

audimus

I've seen several posts in these forums where people show multiple response curves in a single image - I cannot discern which line is associated with with source.

This is a problem even without color blindness in almost every multi-line graph posted in these forums! These are all software picked colors that depending on the order of graphing may pick very close shades (light blue, two levels of dark blue, medium blue, etc). Combine that with the tiny, tiny samples in the legends and good luck figuring out which is which most of the time. And I have been tested for not having color blindness and score well in those tests.

DaleMurray

It would be much better if the OS itself implemented something that applied to all software on the machine like they have increased contrast option in Accessibility rather than have each app take care of it. They could have a switch that made the system automatically process the pixels to increase color contrast or alter areas of known indistinguishable adjacent colors for the colorblind with a transformation that took it out of that range. The current processors and GPUs are powerful enough to do this processing in real time. Apps could make sure that when this correction was applied, it did not look grotesque.

It is not trivial for applications to make sure of being color-blind safe on their own. Having a color scheme that satisfies all the different kinds of color blindness AND satisfies all aesthetic sensibilities for everybody else is not trivial. Or they would have to provide multiple schema choices that people can select from. Not all software has the means or motivation to do so. It is even more difficult to address this at a web site design level across all sites.

Sorry, you are wrong. It needs to become ingrained in the industries delivering information; applications, print, waypointing, charts, etc. If the goal is to deliver information in a digestible manner for the masses, considering the 8% of all men who are colorblind should be part of the equation.
- I go to a hospital and they say follow the green line in the tile to get to that dept; which green line?
- Is the amber led blinking? Amber? What is amber. Amber, orange, red; cannot tell the difference. I work in IT and sometimes need to grab a person to look at a switch to tell me what color the light is.
- Think about how much information you see in your daily life that has some form of color coding then imagine no being able to see that, AT ALL.

DaleMurray

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 11.36.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 11.36.19 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 11.37.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 11.37.42 PM.png
    185.3 KB · Views: 99

audimus

Sorry, you are wrong. It needs to become ingrained in the industries delivering information; applications, print, waypointing, charts, etc. If the goal is to deliver information in a digestible manner for the masses, considering the 8% of all men who are colorblind should be part of the equation.
- I go to a hospital and they say follow the green line in the tile to get to that dept; which green line?
- Is the amber led blinking? Amber? What is amber. Amber, orange, red; cannot tell the difference. I work in IT and sometimes need to grab a person to look at a switch to tell me what color the light is.
- Think about how much information you see in your daily life that has some form of color coding then imagine no being able to see that, AT ALL.

I am not unsympathetic to the plight of that condition nor am I saying that it should not be solved. I am suggesting that the better and more practical way to solve this problem for the specific case of content consumed in a computing device is via a smart algorithm that is part of the OS itself than the owner of every piece seen through that device being co-opted into this. It is not an either-or to your crusade for the world to understand.

Shall we insist that every app and website provide voice assistance to visually impaired or to provide high contrast screens or do we make that part of the OS itself as a more pragmatic approach? We already have an answer to that one.

Last edited:

DaleMurray

I am not unsympathetic to the plight of that condition nor am I saying that it should not be solved. I am suggesting that the better and more practical way to solve this problem for the specific case of content consumed in a computing device is via a smart algorithm that is part of the OS itself than the owner of every piece seen through that device being co-opted into this. It is not an either-or to your crusade for the world to understand.

Shall we insist that every app and website provide voice assistance to visually impaired or to provide high contrast screens or do we make that part of the OS itself as a more pragmatic approach? We already have an answer to that one.

This is getting beyond the original intent and scope of the thread.

I am not insisting on anything, I am suggesting it would be to the benefit of any application or industry attempting to convey information via charts, graphs, way-finding, color-coding, etc in the physical world (print, floor tile way-finding, etc), digital world (graphs, charts, applications, websites) to take into consideration the limitations of colorblind users. I also agree, it would be great if MS, Apple, etc, included an option to "color correct" for the color blind.

If you think this is a crazy idea for industry to consider how to most effectively convey information, look around you; I bet you see a lot of pictograms.

Restroom doors, dashboard of your car, school zones, hazardous materials, waste bins, animal crossings, etc. Why? It conveys information to an extremely wide, nearly universally understood, manner.

The signs below is more effective and universally understood than writing out:
Explosive
Explosif
Sprengstoff
ระเบิด
Explozivní

1573827845762.png

Top Bottom