• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uptone EtherREGEN

DownUnderGazza

Forum Donor
If you're running 64x64 channel Dante in a pro situation, for example, over ethernet then yes, some consideration needs to be given to having a clean data path between and through switches etc. So if it's mixed (data, video and audio) traffic over your network, then vLANs are usually a good idea, but even so, 1Gb/s capacity is more than sufficient. So, for example, 64 channels of 24bit at 48khz audio is: 48,000 x 24 x 64 = 74 mbits/sec... ie. about 7.5% network utilisation at 1Gbit/sec capacity.

Redbook uncompressed CD audio of 16bit at 44.2khz audio is: 44200 x 16 x 2 = 1.4mbits/sec
Yep, that's a hefty 0.14% bandwidth consumption over a domestic 1Gb/sec network. Really, really stressful on the copper!

But then again, no-one with a half decent modern internet connection these days bats an eye-lash at streaming 25mbits/sec for Netflix UHD 4k Dolby Vision movies... clearly video is easy, but streaming audio? Very, very complicated.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're running 64x64 channel Dante in a pro situation, for example, over ethernet then yes, some consideration needs to be given
I run Dante 32x32 @48kHz through those switches, with proper QOS settings, as recommended (which, indeed, makes a difference, between lots of dropouts and none)
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/sg200-08-8-port-gigabit-smart-switch/model.html
I think I bought them new for around 150€ each.

In a professional environment, I'd go up-range, for sure, but just for reliability/high availability reasons.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny though Jason, I see in your signature that you have two EMO Systems LAN isolators (total retail almost $400; actual parts cost less than $40). What are those passive devices doing for you?

Since I've put in over 7000 ports in hospitals I can tell you that they protect million $$ equipment from taking a surge over the Ethernet port.

thyname

Since I've put in over 7000 ports in hospitals I can tell you that they protect million $$ equipment from taking a surge over the Ethernet port.

You are lighting it up Mark Brown (or Plissken, whatever name you use) in all forums on Internets against Uptone. I wonder why. Hateful? The EtherREGEN is not in the wild yet. So you cannot possibly have seen it. Unless @Superdad sent you one as beta tester

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are lighting it up Mark Brown (or Plissken, whatever name you use) in all forums on Internets against Uptone. I wonder why. Hateful? The EtherREGEN is not in the wild yet. So you cannot possibly have seen it. Unless @Superdad sent you one as beta tester

Feel free to backup any claims with anything factual. Quotes would work in this instance.

If you think your playback system can be improved upon by fiddling with the Ethernet section, simply use a well respected application like Tidal, start playback and unplug/plug your connection in.

If you don't hear any difference then you have it as good as it gets.

If you do hear a difference then certainly give the Etherregen a try.

Even the USB Regen was able to improve the output of a Schiit DAC. I even created a thread over at ComputerAudioPhile about it.

thyname

Feel free to backup any claims with anything factual. Quotes would work in this instance.

If you think your playback system can be improved upon by fiddling with the Ethernet section, simply use a well respected application like Tidal, start playback and unplug/plug your connection in.

If you don't hear any difference then you have it as good as it gets.

If you do hear a difference then certainly give the Etherregen a try.

Even the USB Regen was able to improve the output of a Schiit DAC. I even created a thread over at ComputerAudioPhile about it.

Yeah... I have heard the “pull the plug” thing from you a hundred times. In a a dozen forums. You keep repeating it like a parrot. I had stopped replying to you a while ago on that. You are really not looking for an answer on that, are you really?

And you never answered my question “while the hate on Uptone?” You are literally on a campaign against a US- based, small company. I wonder why. Can’t be just a vendetta. Some of their foreign competitors paying you off is my wild guess.

Anyways.... my grandpa used to tell me: “don’t wrestle with a pig in mud... you cannot win”. I now understand what it meant. Have a nice (miserable) (low)-life

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah... I have heard the “pull the plug” thing from you a hundred times. In a a dozen forums. You keep repeating it like a parrot.

More like a Mantra.

I had stopped replying to you a while ago on that. You are really not looking for an answer on that, are you really?

Actually I've had people respond that the couldn't tell a difference...

And you never answered my question “while the hate on Uptone?” You are literally on a campaign against a US- based, small company. I wonder why. Can’t be just a vendetta. Some of their foreign competitors paying you off is my wild guess.

?? You might be a bit daft. I started a thread at C.A. about the USB Regen improving the output of a Schitt DAC. Amir is the one that measured and confirmed it could actually help out a seriously poorly designed DAC. That is something UpTone should be showing.

Anyways.... my grandpa used to tell me: “don’t wrestle with a pig in mud... you cannot win”. I now understand what it meant. Have a nice (miserable) (low)-life

Your gramps sounds smarter than you.

jasonk

This from Uptones description of EtherRegen

"The circuitry between ports on the ‘A’ side decreases phase-noise effects to some degree, but not nearly as much as crossing the ‘A’>’B’ moat. It is the differential isolators used in conjunction with the differential flip-flops"

Wait a minute now. Wouldn't a moat be too deep for flip-flops. Wouldn't the audio get wet ?

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This from Uptones description of EtherRegen

"The circuitry between ports on the ‘A’ side decreases phase-noise effects to some degree, but not nearly as much as crossing the ‘A’>’B’ moat. It is the differential isolators used in conjunction with the differential flip-flops"

Wait a minute now. Wouldn't a moat be too deep for flip-flops. Wouldn't the audio get wet ?
It's still all a farce. No proof of anything, just hot air.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

jasonk

Their blurb says "The goals and architecture of the EtherREGEN are completely different than any other Ethernet switch on the planet."

That must be true. This switch is in the realms of 'psychic'

Without knowing which IP address is the music server and which IP address is the DAC or which data passing through it is digitised audio, it manages to be "capable of producing surprisingly audible sonic improvements in fine music systems"

Spooky

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Their blurb says "The goals and architecture of the EtherREGEN are completely different than any other Ethernet switch on the planet."

That must be true. This switch is in the realms of 'psychic'

Without knowing which IP address is the music server and which IP address is the DAC or which data passing through it is digitised audio, it manages to be "capable of producing surprisingly audible sonic improvements in fine music systems"

Spooky

The claim is that it can filter the noise generated at the other side of the Ethernet cable from reaching the DAC. Why a WiFi or optical/fiber are not enough is not clear to me. Or whether there's really any noise to remove in the first place that causes audible issues.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The claim is that it can filter the noise generated at the other side of the Ethernet cable from reaching the DAC. Why a WiFi or optical/fiber are not enough is not clear to me. Or whether there's really any noise to remove in the first place that causes audible issues.
With noise being trivial to measure, it is incredible that this company after years of building devices to supposedly remove noise from DACs and such, has yet to provide this simple before and after measurement to us!

Their other devices I have tested actually injected some mains noise into the chain, not remove it.

I don't know why audiophiles don't ask such logical questions. Company says they reduce noise or jitter, ask them to show this. Why look the other way?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With noise being trivial to measure, it is incredible that this company after years of building devices to supposedly remove noise from DACs and such, has yet to provide this simple before and after measurement to us!

Their other devices I have tested actually injected some mains noise into the chain, not remove it.

I don't know why audiophiles don't ask such logical questions. Company says they reduce noise or jitter, ask them to show this. Why look the other way?

I’ve asked this multiple times with their USB ISO-Regen product, with nothing but USB eye diagrams produced in response.

John Swenson, the engineer behind EtherREGEN, has been promising to develop some new tech to measure this immeasurable noise for many years. I’m still waiting.

Top Bottom