• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SP200: Do We Get Golden Samples For Review?

Toku

Major Contributor
Some datasheet specs to put this in context:
Alps RK27 series - £8.78 each at 500+ quantities, Gang error <3dB 0 to -60dB, <5db -60dB to -80dB
Bourns PTD90 series - £0.92 each at 500+ quantities, Gang error <3dB 0 to -40dB, unspecified at greater attenuation
Even the 'poor' performance of this unit is within the spec of a standard high quality pot range. Manufacturers would need to test the pots if they wanted a tighter match - not unprecedented, but probably uncommon at this price point.

Also note the lack of standard for taper letter designations - for Bourns the A[1-6] series are log tapers, while the B series are symmetrical about the centre point. Vishay do something else entirely.
Although it is a little expensive, the following POT is recommended if sound quality is important.
It is also sold at Amazon in Japan.
Of course, Taper-A is used for volume control.
However, the pin arrangement is the same, but the size needs to be checked.

CP600 (Potentiometer)
http://www.tkd-corp.com/products/pot/potentiometer.html#cp600

When I examined it in detail, it seems that it cannot be installed unless it is BOURNS PTD90 Series.
Looking at the photo of the SP200 main board, it seems that the volume POT is not directly attached to the main board, but is attached to the main board after being attached to a small board.

Attachments

• CP600-1.jpg
    CP600-1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 218
  • CP600-2.jpg
    CP600-2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 190
  • cp600ps-e.pdf
    463.6 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Although it is a little expensive, the following POT is recommended if sound quality is important.
It is also sold at Amazon in Japan.
Of course, Taper-A is used for volume control.
However, the pin arrangement is the same, but the size needs to be checked.

CP600 (Potentiometer)
http://www.tkd-corp.com/products/pot/potentiometer.html#cp600
And still only matched to 3dB (over 150 degrees of 300 operating angle - how many dB is that?). The point was that the 3db matching between pots is pretty much standard for off the shelf components, extending to higher attenuations for the better ones. To guarantee better matching you (or the manufacturer) need either a special order for better matched pots, or a testing process to select the better matched pots from a load of them. Or avoid pots.

Jumbotron

Yesterday I received my unit. Purchased from SMSL's official store in Aliexpress and received in Spain just in five days or so since shipment. Nice surprise.

I have just tried it for the first time with some music. Volume pot set to middle way/central position. Channel balance is perfect to my ears and there is plenty of power indeed, especially as I was coming from a portable Fiio E12 Mont Blanc.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
sound as good as a stepped attenuator would.

How can a potmeter impart a certain sound ?

I am sure there are some non-linearities but do not expect them to come anywhere near audible thresholds in any case.

Just curious where I can find measurements of this... I mean even the very cheap pot in the Geshelli doesn't even seem to have a sound signature.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
wiper pots do induce noise, but high quality pots induce very little. channel imbalance is present in any pot though, and varies with rotation and even over multiple trials, even in top of the line pots like the "blue velvet" alps rk27

also for those calling for stepped atten, a DACT costs as much as this amp, and it's larger than an rk27. something like a gilmore/headamp flagship with a dact goes for more like 1-2k$ than 250$.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, of course there is a difference in tracking/channel balance, taper accuracy, noise while adjusting, tactile feel, longevity, size, shielding, mechanical stability etc.
But the my question is how it can possibly SOUND different.
To change the sound the signal would have to deviate in other ways than merely amplitude at levels large enough to become audible.

Yviena

Yes, of course there is a difference in tracking/channel balance, taper accuracy, noise while adjusting, tactile feel, longevity, size, shielding, mechanical stability etc.
But the my question is how it can possibly SOUND different.
To change the sound the signal would have to deviate in other ways than merely amplitude at levels large enough to become audible.

Wouldn't it actually be easy to check if amps/dac/pots change the sound in a headphone, for example by getting a dummy head with very accurate pinna coupled with high resolution in-ear microphones in a anechoic chamber to check if what comes out of the headphone changes, ideally without moving the actual positioning of the headphone/dummy head as that would change the measurements, i wonder why no one has done this yet, or maybe they have but i just can't find it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Wouldn't it actually be easy to check if amps/dac/pots change the sound in a headphone, for example by getting a dummy head with very accurate pinna coupled with high resolution in-ear microphones in a anechoic chamber to check if what comes out of the headphone changes, ideally without moving the actual positioning of the headphone/dummy head as that would change the measurements, i wonder why no one has done this yet, or maybe they have but i just can't find it.

The reason why nobody has done this yet to prove a potmeter has a sound signature is because you cannot possibly get any meaningful results this way.

It's like asking Machete to make some pencil art for you.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
So far I can tell the retail ones have pretty shit pot. My dear friend Oluv got sp200 today and channel balance is absolutely horrible. Audible channel imbalance even at 10 o'clock.

Veri

Master Contributor
So far I can tell the retail ones have pretty shit pot. My dear friend Oluv got sp200 today and channel balance is absolutely horrible. Audible channel imbalance even at 10 o'clock.
: (

elira

That was to be expected, but I think a lot of people just listinten too loud or have not so efficient headphones that don't care about the channel imbalance.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
That was to be expected, but I think a lot of people just listinten too loud or have not so efficient headphones that don't care about the channel imbalance.
Normally we expect 9 o'clock or just under 9 o'clock. The fact that there is no attenuation gain setting on this makes it a lot worse.

Scriba

If I control the volume with the DAC, will I have channel imbalance aswell?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
If I control the volume with the DAC, will I have channel imbalance aswell?
It will improve by a lot. However you do decrease snr. So you choose a level from dac that allow a range that you would be using with the amp has no audible imbalance.

Scriba

It will improve by a lot. However you do decrease snr. So you choose a level from dac that allow a range that you would be using with the amp has no audible imbalance.

All right, so if I choose the right level on the DAC and control the volume with the amp I will not have channel imbalance? In principle what's normally better for volume control and should the windows volume be at 100 % ?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
All right, so if I choose the right level on the DAC and control the volume with the amp I will not have channel imbalance? In principle what's normally better for volume control and should the windows volume be at 100 % ?
If you use Windows audio/ MME to play back your music, it actually doesn't matter if you use windows volume or on the dac because the added distortion and noise are already happened. And if you use WASAPI or ASIO, the windows volume won't control the volume.
So use whatever makes sense and is convenient to you.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
All right, so if I choose the right level on the DAC and control the volume with the amp I will not have channel imbalance?
Channel imbalance is worst when you operate the analog volume control at its minimum setting. So you just need to lower the volume enough on the DAC to get the usable range to be above minimum.

Keelo117

Channel imbalance is worst when you operate the analog volume control at its minimum setting. So you just need to lower the volume enough on the DAC to get the usable range to be above minimum.

So this has confused me even more with my smsl

So from what I am told set my dx3 pro dac to 8db variable dac mode (instead of dac mode) and use the smsl amp to change volume?

I am a complete audio noob so what's the best way for someone with dt 1990 pros with this amp and a dx3 pro dac

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So from what I am told set my dx3 pro dac to 8db variable dac mode (instead of dac mode) and use the smsl amp to change volume?

I am a complete audio noob so what's the best way for someone with dt 1990 pros with this amp and a dx3 pro dac
This is only a concern if you have sensitive IEMs. With most headphones, this is not a problem since you will not operate the amp at its minimum level.

If you have the amp already, use it with the DAC at max level and see if you have an issue. If you do, then back off the volume on the DAC.

Top Bottom