• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should we (I) get into speaker testing & measurement

Should we get into proper speaker measurements?

• Yes

Votes: 247 76.5%
  • Yes, but do it later.

Votes: 30 9.3%
  • No. Stay with Electronics.

Votes: 46 14.2%

• Total voters

JBH129

Amir,

have you given thought to funding the site by creating an independent testing facility that manufacturers could use to get independently verified test results. I believe that a good report from this site has significant value, particularly to new/lesser known manufacturers. Assuming that the site can retain its reputation for being unbiased and independent, this seems like a win-win.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir,

have you given thought to funding the site by creating an independent testing facility that manufacturers could use to get independently verified test results. I believe that a good report from this site has significant value, particularly to new/lesser known manufacturers. Assuming that the site can retain its reputation for being unbiased and independent, this seems like a win-win.
I was kind of open to it but then my wife rightly cautioned me that it would be like have a "job" doing that and so may not be fun. As such it is not on my radar especially considering how heavy and cumbersome these speakers are to unpack, test and return.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it will sit there at a few thousand dollars and that would be that. I think people will donate more when they see the results.

Perhaps. My experience in general though (from having been involved in some crowdfunding campaigns for music things like small concert halls, grand pianos etc) is that people are more willing to contribute if they think that their contribution matters for the end result to come about at all. People don't seem to donate nearly as much as post-hoc signs of gratitude, or if they think that they will get access to the good in question (a review for example) even without their donation. We had this latter strategy recently, when we got a grand piano for our local small cultural house, and made the mistake of getting the piano before the downpayments were done, and thought we could rely on people's goodwill... not so. Whereas a previous project I was involved with on a church organ (don't ask) did the opposite, getting all the money beforehand, and it worked really well.

The other positive thing about involving people with donations beforehand is that they get a strong sense of ownership. Imagine having 1000 or 2000 people contribute to this project before it comes to fruition. Unrealistic? Over the course of a year, I actually don't think so. These people would almost by necessity become strongly involved in this site, they would become more frequent contributors and commentators, etc. It's also likely that they would be more willing to contribute financially when you get the speaker reviewing going. The people I know who often do funding campaigns often report this to be the case, at least.

So say that this is the plan: You set a goal of reaching 35000 usd through a crowdfunding campaign, and promise to match that yourself once that threshold is reached (given what you write in the earlier post here - very generous indeed, if so!!). I feel very certain that the people who would donate to that would also be more likely to donate more money afterwards, because they had already become involved, and would then like to see more return on their investment (i.e. more speaker reviews). I'm pretty sure there are names for these mechanisms among economists...

Last edited:

Vintage57

Forum Donor
I was kind of open to it but then my wife rightly cautioned me that it would be like have a "job" doing that and so may not be fun. As such it is not on my radar especially considering how heavy and cumbersome these speakers are to unpack, test and return.

As point of interest Amirm, what is the maximum capacity of the table for the Klippel testing device, both in weight and dimensions?

JBH129

I totally understand, but if you are as successful as you need to be, you will be able to hire a few folks to do the heavy lifting and administrative functions for you. Heck, I would imagine a long line of aspiring speaker/electronics builders would be thrilled with an internship.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As point of interest Amirm, what is the maximum capacity of the table for the Klippel testing device, both in weight and dimensions?
There is no practical limit since you can hang a speaker over the platform if it is too heavy or large. In the software, you tell it where the obstructions are (e.g. the cables holding the speaker above the platform). It will then interpolate that data without scanning those sections. I recall reading a 500 kilogram limit although I am not sure why there would be.

There is an option for "high-Z" which I have asked for. Without it I think it has a limit of 3 or 4 feet high as far as the speaker height. With high Z I think it goes up to 6 feet or so. I am told it can be extended beyond that if needed. You need a very high ceiling though to clear the tall structure.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I totally understand, but if you are as successful as you need to be, you will be able to hire a few folks to do the heavy lifting and administrative functions for you. Heck, I would imagine a long line of aspiring speaker/electronics builders would be thrilled with an internship.
That is the ultimate place I hope we get to. There is no reason for me being the bottleneck other than lack of funding. I like to test 10,000+ audio products and the only way to get there is with a much larger operation. Head-fi has managed this (becoming large enough to have staff) so I am hoping we can do the same.

Your suggestion of an intern is a very good one. We would need to move out of my house though to enable that in any proper manner.

All of this will also help cement this activity as a long term one, way past the time I am able to do the work, or be around to do it.

We had another doubling of our viewership in the last couple of months prompted by testing home theater products, amplifiers, etc. If we keep going at this rate, then we should get there. Crossing fingers. :)

FYI, my wife hurt her back helping me back the Outlaw 7140 amp we tested. I have come close to doing that myself multiple times. So getting out of this aspect of the project would be great....

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Ah she gave you back the advice you often give.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ah she gave you back the advice you often give.
Worse yet, I have given the same advice to her and she actually listened and closed her business!

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Worse yet, I have given the same advice to her and she actually listened and closed her business!
I wish mine would.
I closed my business ten years ago but my wife continues severely limiting holiday opportunities :(
It looks like she will do the same at the end of 2021. Maybe I won't want to go anywhere by then!

nhunt

FYI, my wife hurt her back helping me back the Outlaw 7140 amp we tested. I have come close to doing that myself multiple times. So getting out of this aspect of the project would be great....

In case you end up having to do this again, shoulder dollies are amazing! My wife and I got 2 130lbs subs up the stairs pretty easily with those (cringing a little as I write that..).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In case you end up having to do this again, shoulder dollies are amazing! My wife and I got 2 130lbs subs up the stairs pretty easily with those (cringing a little as I write that..).
Thanks She got hurt trying to help me put it back in the box. Those seem like a good idea though so I will get a pair.

miero

@amirm how about outsourcing loudspeaker measurements to some close laboratory of http://clfgroup.org/ ? Maybe they could give you a good price if many measurements would be ordered.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Okay, it's time to start a betting pool for how long it would take @amirm to assemble one of these, even if funded. ;)
Yeh, doesn't look like fun. I have assembled a CNC machine before so know partially what I may be getting into....

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm how about outsourcing loudspeaker measurements to some close laboratory of http://clfgroup.org/ ? Maybe they could give you a good price if many measurements would be ordered.
Sorry, I can't connect the dots with that link. Who are they and how would this work?

miero

My suggestion was to consider cooperation with some acoustic testing lab. So they would measure loudspeakers and you would evaluate measured data and write a review.

Or if you are relly decided for a machine from Klippel, maybe you can start with ordering measurements of several loudspeakers at Klippel site (maybe you could also visit them, learn to work with the machine by measuring some speakers yourself) then write sample reviews and then ask members for funding.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Owning passive speakers means I care about longevity and value for the money. Speakers last for decades. If a receiver fails, I can get another receiver for under $100 any day of the week on Craigslist.

This is one reason I think internally active (no internal crossover or bypassed) is the topology I'd like to see in a more perfect world.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have a handle on shipping costs at my end. Limiting factor may be people wanting to part with large and expensive speakers. To remedy that partially I hope to test speakers from local sources.

Top Bottom