• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Infinity Reference 162 - Revel quality for $175/pair - comments?

MickeyBoy

Forum Donor
This design is 5+ years old, but has the typical marks of Revel speakers: curved sides, oblong waveguide for tweeter, CMMD membranes, &c. More detail here: https://tinyurl.com/yxjs6lrg I have been unable to find many reviews.

There is a 5-year warranty with free returns within 30 days; Harman pays shipping. These are refurbs, but with free returnability, this seems like a good deal. I would use them as side or rear speakers, so if user comments about the openness of the mids and highs are well founded, they would be a welcome addition to the menagerie .

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Don't confuse "look alike" with "perform alike". The devil is in the details, not in visual similarities.

An Opel GT and a Ferrari Dino look alike. They perform quite differently though.

Look for specs and test data. Then do your best to audition using material familiar to you.

KozmoNaut

I have not had a chance to listen to them (Infinity doesn't have much of a presence here), but they do pop up regularly in discussions here and elsewhere and get very positive mentions.

If they were available here when I was buying my current speakers, they would have been on my shortlist of speakers to listen to.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
There is a 5-year warranty with free returns within 30 days; Harman pays shipping.

Just grab a pair, have a listen and see what you think. You have nothing to lose.

Last edited:

BillG

Major Contributor
I have been unable to find many reviews.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/infinity-reference-r162-speaker-system-test-bench

Infinity and Revel are both owned by Harmon International. Therefore, they do share some design, engineering, and technology.

I happen to own them, as well as the 152s, and am very happy with them. I'm not going to give you my subjective opinion of them beyond that though, that review and the measurements it contains are accurate in that regard. I will say that they don't sound as bright as the measurements would suggest. However, I'm in my late 50s, and my hearing only goes up to 14 KHz these days... :cool:

Screenshot_Photos_20191027-103245-01.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
MickeyBoy

MickeyBoy

Forum Donor
Thanks all for the intelligent comments. I've taken the plunge. I have a pair of Elac UB5's (the ones with tweeter concentrically mounted wthin the mid) for comparison. I'll likely post a few comments about the shootout - I'm not as reticent about reporting what I hear as BillG.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not even sure why Infinity is still a brand selling anything. I guess car and boat speakers constitute their money funnel. From looking at the catalog, it seems like a throw-away brand as far as home speakers go... 'stack 'em high and watch 'em fly... stack 'em deep and sell 'em cheap' sort of thing.

MSNWatch

They should have been much more visible in the audiophile press, as they measure quite well, and sound great also. Everyone I've corresponded with that owns speakers from the line really likes them... :cool:

I own Infinity IL-60s and still use them regularly. Just can't get myself to get rid of them or replace them for my master bedroom system as their performance measures up to pretty much anything in the market today. This latest infinity line punches weigh above their weight class just like the IL line did over a decade ago.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
But will we be able to trust Harman (Samsung) and their published numbers ever again, now they are teaming up with Volkswagen- the absolute kings of cheating test results?

https://news.harman.com/releases/ha...-pure-listening-pleasure-to-the-vw-experience

1573086174208.png

We already know VW has 'augmented' (fake) engine sounds played via a speaker (Soundaktor) up under the dash board to 'enhance' the driving experience...At least those fake sounds will now be coming out of H/K branded speakers I guess. The diesels play petrol engine sounds through the car audio so they sound 'better'.

And this is progress...:facepalm:

jasonq997

Forum Donor
I'm not even sure why Infinity is still a brand selling anything. I guess car and boat speakers constitute their money funnel. From looking at the catalog, it seems like a throw-away brand as far as home speakers go... 'stack 'em high and watch 'em fly... stack 'em deep and sell 'em cheap' sort of thing.

Interesting point of view. From a marketing point of view it looks like they prefer JBL, but these are well built of good drivers, especially at that price.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You mean the person who runs the site? No idea.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I ordered Infinity speakers during sale last week for about $700.00. They sent me JBL 2 way powered and subwoofers that retail for $3600. I was honest and notified the mistake. I had to take pictures to document. Almost seems they need proof I received much more expensive PA speakers. I won't fight for long. I could sell them for about $2000.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But will we be able to trust Harman (Samsung) and their published numbers ever again, now they are teaming up with Volkswagen- the absolute kings of cheating test results?

We already know VW has 'augmented' (fake) engine sounds played via a speaker (Soundaktor) up under the dash board to 'enhance' the driving experience..

1) In the scheme of automotive scandals, I wouldn't call VW the king. Maybe a crown prince? I guess if you are just talking 'test results' it's a point. But Takata, GM ignition, Firestone tire failures...where people were actually killed, were more egregious in my book . On a more personal level, John D. dealing cocaine can be cited. Ferdinand Piëch was never busted for illegal drug sales. That we know.

2) Phony baloney 'engine' sound pumped through audio speakers is not strictly a VW thing. It's pretty common. In any case, this 'feature' should definitely have a turn-off switch. With VW you have to go under the hood to disable it. Very annoying.

3) Harman will likely be better (or at least not as bad) than VW's previous Fender brand marketing. I mean, who ever thought of Fender as an audio company? Where was the 'speed', 'intensity', 'drive', 'presence' and 'reverb' settings? On the other hand, they missed out on calling the radio a 'Hot Rod Deluxe". :facepalm:

That said, as a former owner of a Mk7 GTI, considering its price point I can tell you that it is a world class car from a driving standpoint, if you can accept the form factor (and the likely long-term cost of repairs after the warranty is up). In fact, Fender was probably the low point of the car. The sound was OK. Better than most Bose car systems I've heard, but nothing special.

Top Bottom