• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purifi PTT6.5W04-01A 6.5" midwoofer

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That is such a common argument, but is also the weakest one in the book. "If it was a better way to do it, everyone would be doing it" Imagine that from the beginning of time that's what everyone in the world thought. Would we have made it past cavemen? Innovation means that you're doing something better, that others in the past have never done before. And believe it or not, innovations are real. There's always someone to do something first. The entire world isn't made entirely up of follower sheep.

You didn’t answer the question

Audiocrusader

I’ll repeat:

What technology does Purifi have access to that others don’t?

Do they have a patent?

Read the whitepapers and information they provide to see what they have done. They clearly explain what they have done to achieve the greatly increased performance. And I'm sure others will copy what they're doing as well. A coaxial can still be made using the same woofer technology. Then the woofer could be dropped from the design as it wouldn't be required. This would reduce cost, reduce size, and increase performance.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now that we have drivers like this, the 2 way, or 2.5 way will be how the best speakers are built moving forward. 3 ways will only be seen at grampa's house. Way too many compromises with a 3 way. And if more bass is required you just add an active sub or 2.

I'm not so sure about that. One of the most important speaker parameters is dispersion characteristics. If you want to have even dispersion with frequency, there is no beating a smaller midrange crossed over to a (smaller) tweeter, which necessitates a three-way design. Unless you want to put the drivers inside a waveguide, but that brings new complications to the table. This driver starts struggling off-axis already at 1500 hz. It's good compared to many other drivers of the same size, of course, but it's not good - when it comes to off-axis response in the midrange - compared to many 3- or 4-inch drivers.

If one wants to keep the speaker small, though, it would have been exciting to see an active DSP based 3-way with this as the woofer, crossed over to a 2- or 3-inch driver around 1000 hz, crossed over to a really small wide-dispersion tweeter around 6 or 7 khz. Something like that (this is just a guess as to what would work out). Now we're suddenly talking about a speaker which has deep bass, is slim and small, has no crossovers in the most sensitive region, and probably could achieve very wide and even dispersion over the whole frequency range (way beyond what a 2-way could achieve in terms of dispersion). Pretty neat!
(ping @March Audio - I have no idea whether this would work out or not, but given that you're already making an active speaker with this as the woofer...)

Last edited:

Audiocrusader

I'm not so sure about that. One of the most important speaker parameters is dispersion characteristics. If you want to have even dispersion with frequency, there is no beating a smaller midrange crossed over to a (smaller) tweeter, which necessitates a three-way design. Unless you want to put the drivers inside a waveguide, but that brings new complications to the table. This driver starts struggling off-axis already at 1500 hz. It's good compared to many other drivers of the same size, of course, but it's not good - when it comes to off-axis response in the midrange - compared to many 3- or 4-inch drivers.

If one wants to keep the speaker small, though, it would have been exciting to see an active DSP based 3-way with this as the woofer, crossed over to a 2- or 3-inch driver around 1000 hz, crossed over to a really small wide-dispersion tweeter around 6 or 7 khz. Something like that (this is just a guess as to what would work out). Now we're suddenly talking about a speaker which has deep bass, is slim and small, has no crossovers in the most sensitive region, and probably could achieve very wide and even dispersion over the whole frequency range (way beyond what a 2-way could achieve in terms of dispersion). Pretty neat!

3 way design disadvantages become worse. Best to cross it over around 1500-1800hz and not worry about it. Integrating a small driver right into the most sensitive area of human hearing only sounds better on paper. Best to use one of many of the great tweeters available that can cross over lower.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
3 way design disadvantages become worse. Best to cross it over around 1500-1800hz and not worry about it. Integrating a small driver right into the most sensitive area of human hearing only sounds better on paper. Best to use one of many of the great tweeters available that can cross over lower.

Audiocrusader, I'm curious where you're coming from in all this. What's your background? Do you design audio stuff for a living?

I'm an architect myself, but I've been making DIY speakers for some time. Not the world's leading expert but I've learned a thing or two over the years.

Audiocrusader

Audiocrusader, I'm curious where you're coming from in all this. What's your background? Do you design audio stuff for a living?

I'm an architect myself, but I've been making DIY speakers for some time. Not the world's leading expert but I've learned a thing or two over the years.

I've learned everything from reading forums. No hands on experience is required when we have forums such as ASR. Once in a while I'll shoot Maty a PM if I'm ever in a bind.

KSTR

Major Contributor

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
2 ways cross over in the most sensitive area of human hearing. I can be avoided with a 3 way, but often isn't sadly.

IME it can also help with active - analogue or DSP based - crossovers. This can make the slopes steeper and/or fix any phase issues in the crossover region. Doesn't solve the directivity issues though, if drivers have different dispersion patterns at the crossover point.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Read the whitepapers and information they provide to see what they have done. They clearly explain what they have done to achieve the greatly increased performance. And I'm sure others will copy what they're doing as well. A coaxial can still be made using the same woofer technology. Then the woofer could be dropped from the design as it wouldn't be required. This would reduce cost, reduce size, and increase performance.

So no patents.

Thus, no technology they have 'access to' that others don't, as well.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So no patents.

Thus, no technology they have 'access to' that others don't, as well.

Let's not discount the importance of their top flight online marketing team

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
As grandpa of 9 I can confirm that i do like the TADs, haven't heard the Elac.

I'm curious, which of the TADs have you heard?

If I stick with the 2 monitors + 2 subwoofers system topology, I only have a few upgrade paths from my current monitors. Going with the TAD concentric 3-ways is one of the few moves I can make that wouldn't be lateral.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've learned everything from reading forums. No hands on experience is required when we have forums such as ASR.

How about theoretical background? Education?

Once in a while I'll shoot Maty a PM if I'm ever in a bind.

LOL

digicidal

Major Contributor
95 percent of all the interesting audio stuff these days comes from the Netherlands or Germany, it seems (ok, slight exaggeration, but only slight).
Fixed. ;)

Top Bottom