• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why Are Ported Speakers the Dominant Design?

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
One important flaw of ported/PR is "leakage" of midrange frequencies through the port. This can be a real problem for 2-ways. Passive woofers have way more resonances than a port, and suspensions modulus changes as time goes by.

JA of Stereohile always measures port output spl, but not decay. This is a good one.
(pozz, what is your source of decay plots?)
319K600fig3.jpg
There are ways around it that I posted above. I personally like an elegant technique which uses a small chamber as a resonant cavity at a strategic location along the port, tuned to counteract the ports pipe resonance

DDF

DDF, can you please link a commercial speaker with such an auxiliary resonator?

By the way some 4-stroke single MX racing engine pipes have those https://motocrossactionmag.com/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-resonance-chambers/

Sorry Juhazi, I've seen it used commercially but can't recall where. I don't pay much attention to commercial speakers, designing and building my own.

Here are DIY variants with pretty compelling test results:
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/f...5-port-resonance-what-should-i-be-looking-for

Thanks for the reminder about moto exhausts. Makes me miss my Ninja

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One important flaw of ported/PR is "leakage" of midrange frequencies through the port. This can be a real problem for 2-ways. Passive woofers have way more resonances than a port, and suspensions modulus changes as time goes by.

JA of Stereohile always measures port output spl, but not decay. This is a good one.
319K600fig3.jpg

Source is Sound and Recording Magazine from Germany. This is my first time hearing about resonances in PRs. I thought they'd reduce both such resonances and chuffing behaviour.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Source is Sound and Recording Magazine from Germany. This is my first time hearing about resonances in PRs. I thought they'd reduce both such resonances and chuffing behaviour.

Chuffing indicates that the ports are poorly designed, or possibly compromised in size in order to fit in a small cabinet and thus the air movement in them is too fast.

The passive radiator is akin to ports in operation. Passive radiators won't chuff.

Some background on ports and PRs.

Nerd.png

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
@Juhazi Sound & Recording is the only audio magazine I'd go out of my to get. @Ilkless Started a a thread about it a while back.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Here is my nearfield measurements of a diy subwoofer with Peerless XLS10 and XLS10PR in about 30liter box, with Hypex DS2.0.
It might be that the passive just leaks out box resonances, not it's own? Impossible to know... Passive had extra weight to lower its fundamental resonance. This is not a good subwoofer in my book, not worth the effort. Well, this is a sub, so resonances are not a real problem, but in a 2-way they would be!

xls10 nearfiel act pass 500ms nosmo.jpg
xls10act spectrdecay.jpg
xls10pr spectrdecay_.jpg

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Well, even I can hear resonances from KH120’s port when playing tones around 70Hz very loudly. 60Hz and below, none. Crossover at 80Hz eliminates it completely — below that, not so much. Mind you, my head is ~0.75-0.85m from the monitors/ports. I can literally feel air blasting my neck and face when abusing these things, clipping and limiters engaged — for testing only, of course. Lol ;)

Last edited:

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For those who are interested: I believe this PhD thesis is the most thorough investigation of the sealed vs ported debate which exists. https://eprints.soton.ac.uk/397270/

I skimmed through it a couple of years ago and understood about 20 percent. If I recall correctly, she found out that sealed loudspeakers always do better on paper. When ported speakers get really large though, and the tuning frequency gets low enough and the port design is otherwise good, the differences get smaller, even though the sealed speaker still does better measurement-wise. She did a blind test with trained listeners, and they were unable to distinguish the sealed speaker from the best ported one (but they could distinguish the sealed from the inferior ported ones, even when eqed to be alike). But if you want to go the @Cosmik route and simply say "let's aim rationally for straight wire with gain and just design loudspeakers which accurately reproduce the signal" then I do think that sealed, maybe coupled with subs, is the way to go.

For real life scenarios it might be different. If I couldn't fit lots of big boxes in my room and still wanted to have some bass, I would definitely choose ported in most instances, unless we're talking things like the Devialet or other fancy high-power actives.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Sealed subwoofers sound much better than ported ones, and most commercial ones are tuned too high! Efficiency of a sealed is lower, so it has more distortion at same SPL. But group delay is minimal with sealed and this means better transient response, which is pretty important IMO for music! Movies are more about high spl. 2x15" sealed is sort of minimum requirement for serious listening in small rooms! Sealed boxes can be much smaller than ported, and power is not a problem nowdays. Remember the dsp!

My recommendation and diy principle is to use sealed or dipole systems! Or a combination...

maty

Major Contributor

319K600fig3.jpg

KEF Q100, 5.25" coaxial with front bass-reflex. Graph modified in size days ago to be able to compare (same scales) with the measured by Zvu with the original crossover.

KEF-Q100-frequency-bass-reflex-1250-700.png

About 1.2 kHz the difference is about 15 dB (at 15º), same like the other. It is OK difference.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-thd.htm

At the end of the page: Addition of harmonic distortion attenuation of multiple devices.

* At 15º -> 85 dB + 70 dB = 85.135 dB :)

* At 30º -> 82 dB + 70 dB = 82.266 dB :)

PS: and yes, six years ago, when I purchased the speakers, I known this graph and the impedance/phase too. At that time they were still a failure in sales because new ones sounded without bass :mad:. As people have no patience ... 200 hours to the very rigid coaxial suspension and the missing bass appeared ALL.

Last edited:

Trdat

Forum Donor
My 2 cents worth should close the gap in understanding why ported designs have become more predominant.

1. Transients doesn't sell, bass does. This was mentioned, a ported design gives you more bass, well in reality a flatter response to a lower frequency till it drops off steeper. Plus its efficiency also helps the whole more power bass thing, easier to drive need less wattage.

2. A closed box will be significantly larger to achieve similar transients.

3. Most(maybe some, don't quote me) ported designs have a slight hump around the resonant frequency which adds to the bass that people like to hear.

4. As the market has moved towards bookshelf speakers or towers with no subs or have marketed their products towards the fact that you don't need a sub with their given speaker, manufacturers rely on ported designs to achieve more bass. They are essentially selling a product on the fact that their speaker achieves low tuning and a sub is not needed. This to me is bullshit, you always need a sub. But that is what sells.

Its funny when you get into DIY you try and understand concepts exactly the opposite of how general speakers are designed. My goal is to understand how to make enclosure for my upper bass, not needing to achieve a low tuning as I have a sub. And what makes for a descent enclosure when you don't have to worry about the resonant frequency.

I can go on more on why I choose sealed and why DSP will probably change the above trend but this should give you more on why ported is more common these days.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
"2. A closed box will be significantly larger to achieve similar transients. "

Sorry, I don't understand that. Tell more!

Cosmik

Major Contributor
1. Transients doesn't sell, bass does.
There are several aspects in play, it seems to me.
- In frequency response terms, a ported system can behave absolutely perfectly when fed a steady sine wave. This is not an issue.
- There are, however, phase shifts that are associated with the port, that vary with frequency in a characteristic way
- Such phase shifts can be corrected by pre-shifting the phase of the signal. The system would at first appear to be perfect in the frequency and time domains.

This assumes that music comprises steady tones. But does the system behave perfectly with transients (that much music comprises)? This is where I have my doubts - but it's difficult to find evidence because people only think about performance with steady tones.

(For me, use of DSP is a given, so I wouldn't be worried by a system that required DSP to correct it; I'm not worried if 'time smear' is only a phenomenon of a passive, uncorrected system).

What does the system do when fed with, say, a positive impulse from a standing start? The resonator is not 'charged up'. The signal across the voice coil creates a force and the cone moves outwards as if in a sealed enclosure. In doing so, it effectively begins to charge up the resonator by reducing the pressure within it. Some time later, air is drawn into the box through the port and the pressure within it equalises through ambient and then overshoots, going above ambient pressure. Some time later, it begins to escape through the port - this being the in-phase port output that we hear so much about - but it had to go through an anti-phase impulse to get there. If the incoming signal varies periodically in the right way, the resonator begins to 'sing' and its back pressure opposes the force of the cone in such a way that it could reduce to almost to zero displacement - at that resonant frequency and depending on the configuration of the resonating system. If the signal dies to nothing suddenly, the resonator continues to 'sing' for some finite time as it decays away. Presumably it is also modulating the cone's position, too, as the two are interacting.

My question is: can the composite sum of the cone's front face and the output of the port be pre-corrected with DSP to provide the correct time domain behaviour with transients? Unlike a sealed box, we are hearing the output of two 'transducers', one of whose output is derived from the inverse of the other's.

With a sealed box, if I don't like something the system is doing, I can modify the signal to oppose it - the result is instantaneous i.e. any modification I make to the signal is reflected in the cone movement immediately and the cone is the only acoustic output. The air in the box may oppose the cone movement and may do delayed things that later modulate the cone, but I could anticipate and oppose those, too, if I wanted, and as long as they were a decaying phenomenon, they could be eliminated with DSP.

With the ported speaker, at bass frequencies, anything I do with the front face of the cone will result in a delayed anti-phase->in-phase modulation of the port output - it cannot be any other way. If I naively decide to oppose a defect of the system by pre-correcting my signal with the inverse, the port still provides a delayed anti-phase/in-phase sequence that may be bigger than the correction. If I oppose that with a further pre-corrected inverse correction it produces another one that's even bigger. So I simply cannot pre-correct the transient.

Is this the fundamental difference between ported and sealed speakers, and why they cannot be made equivalent even when DSP correction is available? It isn't a question of steady state frequency domain behaviour; it's what the system does with transients given that the output of the ported speaker is the parallel sum of two 'transducers' chained together, one of which is a resonator.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
The problem is the design and implementation.

In my cheap KEF Q100 (€ 399, placed at home, six years ago) I can forgive that there is only 15 dB of difference between the frequency response of the drivers and the port, despite the peak in a delicate area such as that of the voice.

An excellent design should not have that peak and less in that frequency range, or that the difference is even greater so that at low volumes we have more than 10 dB of difference -> at 85 dB, I would like at least 18 dB in expensive speakers with bass-reflex.

If we add a sub, it is covered with the foam caps which it comes and ready.

Phase and impedance. Graph resized. Phase only varies less than +/- 45º at f > 180-200 Hz, no problema, it is the usual with passive crossover.

KEF-Q100-impedance-phase-big.png

Only a very little resonance about 700 Hz. With more mass, the sound is much better. Now they weigh more than the famous KEF LS50.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
KEF LS50 , with rear bass-reflex. Phase and impedance from Stereophile. Resized.

KEF-LS50-impedance-phase-big.png

BTW, values specified by KEF:

* KEF Q100 -> 49 Hz at -3 dB

* KEF LS50 -> 79 Hz at -3 dB <- they need a subwoofer with many kind of music/recordings.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Is this the fundamental difference between ported and sealed speakers, and why they cannot be made equivalent even when DSP correction is available? It isn't a question of steady state frequency domain behaviour; it's what the system does with transients given that the output of the ported speaker is the parallel sum of two 'transducers' chained together, one of which is a resonator.
The transfer function is what defines the behavior of a system, it doesn't matter how it is achieved (as long as we stay linear, etc). A transfer function is an abstract thing which can be visualized in two major ways, as the frequency response of magnitude and phase (and given that speakers are basically minimum phase the magnitude and phase are interlinked, one strictly follows from the other), and as the impulse response. Both are hard-linked to each other as they show the same underlying thing.
What does that mean here? If you have a closed box and adjust its frequency response so that it matches a ported box, the impulse response (the "transient behavior") is the same also.
And vice versa, of course. This requires a constant 12dB/oct boost below the original roll-off for the ported box and therefore it is not practicable, though. The solution to get the "speed" of a closed-box (or dipole) from a ported box with the same corner frequency is to use a phase correction only which rolls back half of the total phase rotation in order to have the phase response of the closed box. Since many times a subsonic filter is present to protect the ported woofer from overexcursion below tuning, the resulting transfer function is ususally 6th order and rolling back the phase to 2nd order helps a lot. Speakers that profit most from that are the ones with higher tunings in the 50Hz range. With a 20Hz tuning, the impact of phase is much less because there is little transient energy, if any, in normal music signals.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
The transfer function is what defines the behavior of a system, it doesn't matter how it is achieved (as long as we stay linear, etc). A transfer function is an abstract thing which can be visualized in two major ways, as the frequency response of magnitude and phase (and given that speakers are basically minimum phase the magnitude and phase are interlinked, one strictly follows from the other), and as the impulse response. Both are hard-linked to each other as they show the same underlying thing.
What does that mean here? If you have a closed box and adjust its frequency response so that it matches a ported box, the impulse response (the "transient behavior") is the same also.
And vice versa, of course. This requires a constant 12dB/oct boost below the original roll-off for the ported box and therefore it is not practicable, though. The solution to get the "speed" of a closed-box (or dipole) from a ported box with the same corner frequency is to use a phase correction only which rolls back half of the total phase rotation in order to have the phase response of the closed box. Since many times a subsonic filter is present to protect the ported woofer from overexcursion below tuning, the resulting transfer function is ususally 6th order and rolling back the phase to 2nd order helps a lot. Speakers that profit most from that are the ones with higher tunings in the 50Hz range. With a 20Hz tuning, the impact of phase is much less because there is little transient energy, if any, in normal music signals.
But I can invert a transfer function only if the result is stable. With a ported speaker the delayed output of the resonator is higher than the output of the cone driving it so it would not be stable.

Top Bottom