• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

Alou

Volume at 0 db seems to be the default volume value ,or at least thats what topping support told me.

Lifer

Forum Donor
Hello,
First of all, thank you very much for this forum and for all your contributions. I discovered it not so long ago and I cannot stop browsing it now.

The reason for my post is that I am building a secondary hifi system where I try to squeeze the most out of cheap gears. The system will be build around a Crown XLS (probably the XLS1502) and a pair of KEF Q100. I am now looking for a DAC with volume & remote control for <250€.
Also, it would be great if I could plug a TV on the SPDIF port in addition to the RB Pi on the USB.
Reading this forum my choice came to the Topping D50s or the SMSL SU-8.

Do you have any opinion on which one would suit my situation best ? Taking into account Sound Quality, Remote control, Reliability, SPDIF ...
Or do you have any other recommandation ?

Thank you very much in advance

Alou

There are threads for both models ,read them carefully and you can decide ,there are +- for both units. Measurements are a little better for the D50 but then again you need a seperate PSU or a second usb port ,no XLR out if you need one etc. I chose the D50s but out of personal choice and think its better designed ,after reading the list and going though a check of whats needed or not.

yavormoskov

It is official. Soon will have the matching Topping A50 headphone amplifier. It would look great next or on top of the D50s DAC. I hope it measures at least as well as JDS labs Atom. I am attaching a screenshot of the email reply from Topping.
topping a50.JPG

Last edited:

Alou

I hope they make a good speaker amp as well soon!

Alou

Yes they also made the T60 but both wery small less then 40 watt per channel (at 8hom).
No good for proper hifi speakers just very small ones,most speaker today are in the 150watt+ range.
i

pcdinh

It is official. Soon will have the matching Topping A50 headphone amplifier. It would look great next or on top of the D50s DAC. I hope it measures at least as well as JDS labs Atom. I am attaching a screenshot of the email reply from Topping. View attachment 36898

I hope that they have better quality control over the product. Using a new audio product that can stop working at any time is a disaster

Alou

I hope that they have better quality control over the product. Using a new audio product that can stop working at any time is a disaster
Well the D10 i have plays great for so long know with out any problems.The D50 first batches were the ones with the problems ,hopefuly it gone in the D50s because i order one !

yavormoskov

Well the D10 i have plays great for so long know with out any problems.The D50 first batches were the ones with the problems ,hopefuly it gone in the D50s because i order one !
I did buy my first Topping D50 from the first batch. I bought the new D50s from their first batch as well. I do not have any issues or complaints....maybe small ones. The antenna of the D50S moves far too easy and it feels loose and the signal from the remote is not very strong.. But other then that they are rock solid in my experience.

Alou

I ordered the D50s beacuse the D50 ceased production and is almost out of stock at most places ,i also read here that they improve a bunch of things. I dont need Bluetooth so i am going to propably take of the antenna if its removable.And the D50s drivers improve the sound of the D10 as well (Same USB audio chip),D50s black is also sold out in most EU stores ,they told me 15 days delivery.

yavormoskov

I ordered the D50s beacuse the D50 ceased production and is almost out of stock at most places ,i also read here that they improve a bunch of things. I dont need Bluetooth so i am going to propably take of the antenna if its removable.And the D50s drivers improve the sound of the D10 as well (Same USB audio chip),D50s black is also sold out in most EU stores ,they told me 15 days delivery.
The antenna is removable and you can disable the Bluetooth chip completely from the settings menu.

Alou

Thats good! What is also the setting if you want to to use the D50s with an external preamp ,you put volume to 0db or there is a volume out default setting ?

Last edited:

yavormoskov

Thats good! What is also the setting if yoy wanto to use the D50s with an external preamp ,you put volume to 0db or there is a volume out default setting ?
There are default RCA outputs you can use for preamp/amplifier. The default setting is 00.0 dB. If your amplifier/preamp does not have gain functionality or if the gain is too high you can lower the dB output from the D50s up to - 99.00 dB if you wish. This gives you a lot of flexibility. For example my Burson Fun amplifier is extremely powerful and it does not have any gain stage so if I plug in very low impedance headphones or earbuds I almost don't have any use for the volume knob because I might destroy them. This is very convenient. Look at the picture I attached.
GAIN.jpg

Last edited:

kfother

Hello everyone. 1st time post!

There does not appear to be many comments based on the Bluetooth capability of this device on the internet, so wanted to ask this forum if any other D50s owners have experienced issues trying to get LDAC or aptX HD working with the Topping D50s?

With Topping D50s, I can only get either aptX or ACC mode working. It actually defaults to ACC until I change it via smartphone to aptX (obviously with Android developer mode - active).

aptX HD and LDAC do not work at all . I have verified this with 3 smart phones and different audio devices.. LG G7, Galaxy S9 & S10. They all work with LDAC using FiiO M6 and Shanling M0. Cannot work at all on the Topping D50s.

Also, although the Bluetooth Ariel was tightened correctly to the back of the D50s unit , the top of the Ariel feels loose and can move from left to right easily with very little force (i mean very little..). Thinking if this is not normal, it may be the route cause of my problem?

Any user experience on Bluetooth aptX HD or LDAC either way (working or not) would be very grateful to try and get to my route cause. LDAC was one of the main reasons to switch from D10 for me.

Last edited:

yavormoskov

Hello everyone. 1st time post!

There does not appear to be many comments based on the Bluetooth capability of this device on the internet, so wanted to ask this forum if any other D50s owners have experienced issues trying to get LDAC or aptX HD working with the Topping D50s?

With Topping D50s, I can only get either aptX or ACC mode working. It actually defaults to ACC until I change it via smartphone to aptX (obviously with Android developer mode - active).

aptX HD and LDAC do not work at all . I have verified this with 3 smart phones and different audio devices.. LG G7, Galaxy S9 & S10. They all work with LDAC using FiiO M6 and Shanling M0. Cannot work at all on the Topping D50s.

Also, although the Bluetooth Ariel was tightened correctly to the back of the D50s unit , the top of the Ariel feels loose and can move from left to right easily with very little force (i mean very little..). Thinking if this is not normal, it may be the route cause of my problem?

Any user experience on Bluetooth aptX HD or LDAC either way (working or not) would be very grateful to try and get to my route cause. LDAC was one of the main reasons to switch from D10 for me.

I have LDAC connected on my two phones and apt HD from my Bluetooth dongle. Never had issues with it. But I removed the sloppy spinning antenna and screwed in a giant antenna from Asus WiFi AC68 card. And yes, I confirmed with Topping. The spinning good for nothing antenna is by default on all of the units.

kfother

I have LDAC connected on my two phones and apt HD from my Bluetooth dongle. Never had issues with it. But I removed the sloppy spinning antenna and screwed in a giant antenna from Asus WiFi AC68 card. And yes, I confirmed with Topping. The spinning good for nothing antenna is by default on all of the units.

Thank you for your response. Based on your comments, I removed the topping supplied "free spin" ariel, and find i can still connect with AAC or aptX without supplied ariel.

So, currently on the hunt for a valid alternative to see if i can I can improve my results.

Top Bottom