• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal vs Qobuz on Audioholics

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was just going to post a new thread about that! ;)

New video/talking just came out few hours ago:

We did an exhaustive comparison of the two top high-resolution music streaming services; Tidal and Qobuz. This comparison includes user interface experiences, listening tests and measured differences. You won't want to miss this discussion if you're thinking about signing up for a high-resolution streaming service.

Another Bob

Forum Donor
The author's defense of the need for hi-res audio is pretty weak. When he gets to technical analysis of the data streams, he acknowledges "...most of the music has no HF content at all..." My favorite part is when he mentions doing a listening test with Elton John's "Tiny Dancer". This was recorded in 1971, which means it was done on analog tape which has frequency response and SNR limits well below CD quality, let alone hi-res audio. Not surprisingly, he hears no differences between Tidal and Qobuz.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
These kinds of subjective articles written by random self proclaimed 'audio experts' that come to nonsensical conclusions are the worst, and should be avoided at all costs imo.

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These kinds of subjective articles written by random self proclaimed 'audio experts' that come to nonsensical conclusions are the worst, and should be avoided at all costs imo.
Seems you have no clue about what Audioholics is...:confused:

They started to defend objectivive-approach about Audio years before ASR.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Seems you have no clue about what Audioholics is...:confused:

They started to defend objectivive-approach about Audio years before ASR.
I don't care what the site purports to be; I read the article and form an opinion.

OP
E

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Gene DellaSala has spent years debunking audio myths and providing detailed measurements of amps, pre amps etc. Recent contributors (Matthew Poes and James Larson) are clearly knowledgeable and have contributed a great deal IMHO. Their recent podcast on ported vs sealed subs was exceptionally helpful and clearly not biased one way or the other. I think we need to encourage sites like this amid the sea of BS that we all know so well. Rather than judge a site based on one article, albeit flawed, I think it useful to do a little digging before rendering a sweeping opinion. Perhaps time is better spent responding to the article with feedback re flaws and suggestions for improvement

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't care what the site purports to be
You should.
Perhaps time is better spent responding to the article with feedback re flaws and suggestions for improvement
Couldn't agree more.
Stopped reading there :rolleyes:
Audioholics in general widely support blind tests. @amirm says he's able to pick mp3 over lossless most of the time in Foobar blind-testing. Why don't believe others may be able to do the same?

Last edited:

flipflop

Audioholics in general widely support blind tests.
A shame he didn't attach an ABX log to support his extraordinary claim then.
@amirm says he's able to pick mp3 over lossless most of the time in Foobar blind-testing.
I went looking for those files a while ago and the download link appears to be dead. They could be poorly encoded for all we know.
Why don't believe others may be able to do the same?
I'm not inherently against the idea, I have just yet to see solid evidence of it.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor

Ratatoskr

I seldom can stand to watch hour long YouTube videos but this one kept me interested, thanks for sharing. I look forward to their review of Amazon Music HD.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Qobuz US just dropped their pricing, $149/yr for Studio subscription I've been paying 25 Euros/month for. I switched.

maty

Major Contributor

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think Audioholics is an excellent site and they're generally objective and evidence based. And Gene's views on cables and such like are commendable. However, that doesn't mean every article is good no more so than anything else in life is perfect.

Beb

[QUOTE = "Jmudrick, post: 262996, membre: 3781"] Qobuz US vient de baisser son prix, 149 $ / an pour l'abonnement Studio pour lequel j'ai payé 25 euros / mois. J'ai changé. [/ QUOTE]
Hello, How do you proceed ? By VPN ? Where are you based ? I'm interested...

thefsb

I can't even hear the difference between compressed and uncompressed audio. So SQ of either of Tidal or Qobuz is, for my needs, certainly sufficient, in the same way that my Topping D50s is sufficient, i.e. I am confident it's not part of the problem.

So the more important comparisons for me are to do with repertoire and usability. Does it have what I want and how easily can I find it? In this both are badly deficient.

Top Bottom