• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Right now on the road, and don't have the data sheets in front of me, but the smps600 has a "SMPS enable" input that switches the power supply (and of course the amps too) into standby (or out of it), and the nCores themselves also have an "enable" input for the same purpose.
Not to get too far into this here, but I'm interested in simple schemes because when I considered implementing something, it appeared an additional power supply (of some sort) would be required as the standby features require a voltage to hold them there. Perhaps someone can just refer me to another forum or website that might deal with such ideas? For now, I use a Digital-Loggers Iot Relay to switch the mains from my other trigger systems. I use very short mains cords, but it's still a kludge.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There was a really, really long nc400 thread on diyuaudio. The SMPS suspend indeed needs an active signal to turn off, but a low-power 12 V supply is not hard to arrange. The nCores themselves have the reverse logic, so no separate supply is needed if you are OK leaving the power supply on.

Hayabusa

clearly something amiss with your units. Why can't you localize it to either the PS or amp module with a simple ear test????

Dave.

Ok, will open one today and see if I can locate the source.

Hayabusa

Ok, will open one today and see if I can locate the source.

Ok, looked into it with more detail:
hypex above cover.png

hypex cover removed.png

So thats interesting!
The 'sound' at 450/500/550 Hz almost goes away when the cover is removed.
By moving the microphone close to the pcb's and scanning the components its clear the 1050Hz is coming from the output coil of the NC400.
The 450/500/550Hz is coming from the transformer of the SMPS600.
These sounds are amplified by the cover somehow.
The cover hoovers closely over the transformer, I suspect the metal of the cover gets effected by the field of the transformer and then gives this sound...

Question now is, how to solve this. (preferably without having to rebuild it in a new case :) )

Willem

Major Contributor
Instead of a trigger you could also use a master-slave power strip. This is what I do because my Quad 606-2 only has its power switch on the back. My ADI-2 is a bit too frugal for the sensor in the power strip, but combined with an always on Chromecast Audio it just crosses the threshold.

Hayabusa

Instead of a trigger you could also use a master-slave power strip. This is what I do because my Quad 606-2 only has its power switch on the back. My ADI-2 is a bit too frugal for the sensor in the power strip, but combined with an always on Chromecast Audio it just crosses the threshold.

Indeed, I also use a master-slave strip to switch on my NC400's.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The built-in mechanism does a soft start instead of a somewhat brutal total, instantaneous on/off switch.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to get too far into this here, but I'm interested in simple schemes because when I considered implementing something, it appeared an additional power supply (of some sort) would be required as the standby features require a voltage to hold them there. Perhaps someone can just refer me to another forum or website that might deal with such ideas? For now, I use a Digital-Loggers Iot Relay to switch the mains from my other trigger systems. I use very short mains cords, but it's still a kludge.

Got home, so now I have access to the data sheets. The nAMPON input takes a voltage between 2.65 and 3.3 V that turns on the amp (pulling it down to 0 turns the amp off). On the SMPS600, the SMPS Standby input takes a voltage between 3.3 and 12 V that puts the amp into standby.

DDF

@Hayabusa
Torroidal tranformers in linear supplies can have their core quickly saturate with even small dc offset on the power feed. One of my amps does this and removing the cover significantly reduces the audible hum from the supply. In this case a dc offset eliminator such as the emotiva cmx-2 helps eliminate it.
https://emotiva.com/products/cmx-2
Torroids are susceptible because their cores have very little margin against saturation from dc. I don't know how susceptible smps are to dc offset but thought I'd mention it as s possible avenue to explore further.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Hayabusa
Torroidal tranformers in linear supplies can have their core quickly saturate with even small dc offset on the power feed. One of my amps does this and removing the cover significantly reduces the audible hum from the supply. In this case a dc offset eliminator such as the emotiva cmx-2 helps eliminate it.
https://emotiva.com/products/cmx-2
Torroids are susceptible because their cores have very little margin against saturation from dc. I don't know how susceptible smps are to dc offset but thought I'd mention it as s possible avenue to explore further.

I don't have this particular brand/model, but I have a power amp with a large toroidal power supply that hums because of DC in my local municipal AC feed, and I can testify that a DC blocker solves the problem.

Reactions: DDF

Hayabusa

I don't have this particular brand/model, but I have a power amp with a large toroidal power supply that hums because of DC in my local municipal AC feed, and I can testify that a DC blocker solves the problem.

From the block schematic of the SMPS600 I see that the mains are directly rectified and that the transformer is in the DC/DC converter after that. So I guess DC on the mains is not causing this.

1570985075495.png

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 'sound' at 450/500/550 Hz almost goes away when the cover is removed.
Perhaps the cover resonates around 500Hz. With it attached normally, does the noise disappear if you touch it lightly? If so, just add a small amount of damping material to the inside of the lid.

Hayabusa

Perhaps the cover resonates around 500Hz. With it attached normally, does the noise disappear if you touch it lightly? If so, just add a small amount of damping material to the inside of the lid.
Thanks! I have tried it:
It changes a little, I have now applied some felt on the inside of the lid.. It reduces by 1 dB or so... Problem is that the area that resonates also has ventilation holes, and I don't want to close them... Seems I have to live with the sounds the amp produces.. Its not noticeble while playing music.

Last edited:

tktran303

Forum Donor
Can you feel the vibration on the case when it’s on? vs. when it’s off? The tactile sensation may be present when you run your fingers gently across the case.

Perhaps you try remedy apply some sound deadening material to an appropriate place on the steel or aluminium casing.

Like car doors or loudspeaker cabinets that have their own natural resonance, metal may have it own. There are products on the market that you can apply to reduce this. I use bituminous felt ($) but one can use branded commercial products like Sonic Barrier ($$) or Whispermat ($$$)

Hayabusa

Can you feel the vibration on the case when it’s on? vs. when it’s off? The tactile sensation may be present when you run your fingers gently across the case.

Perhaps you try remedy apply some sound deadening material to an appropriate place on the steel or aluminium casing.

Like car doors or loudspeaker cabinets that have their own natural resonance, metal may have it own. There are products on the market that you can apply to reduce this. I use bituminous felt ($) but one can use branded commercial products like Sonic Barrier ($$) or Whispermat ($$$)

I could not feel tactile vibration. I have now closed the holes of the lid to see if the internal temperature would stay low enough, this seems to to be the case (only +2 degrees C). So I will indeed try to get some of material you propose and stick it under the lid, to see what that does :)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I could not feel tactile vibration. I have now closed the holes of the lid to see if the internal temperature would stay low enough, this seems to to be the case (only +2 degrees C). So I will indeed try to get some of material you propose and stick it under the lid, to see what that does :)
Have you tried heavy objects on top of the amp to see if that helps?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Big alert ! :eek:

@Audiophonics is releasing an assembled NC400 Amp. It'll be called PA-S400NC.

audiophonics-pa-s400nc-stereo-class-d-amplifier-2x400w-4-ohm-ncore (5).jpg

audiophonics-pa-s400nc-stereo-class-d-amplifier-2x400w-4-ohm-ncore (1) (1).jpg

audiophonics-pa-s400nc-stereo-class-d-amplifier-2x400w-4-ohm-ncore (4) (1).jpg

audiophonics-pa-s400nc-stereo-class-d-amplifier-2x400w-4-ohm-ncore (2) (1).jpg

audiophonics-pa-s400nc-stereo-class-d-amplifier-2x400w-4-ohm-ncore (3) (1).jpg

Double SMPS600 PSU! So it would deliver as much as monoblocs kits.

1490€ inc VAT, so quite more expensive than their PA-S500NC... but still on par with two NC400 DIY kits from Hypex (699€ each)... and at least, it is assembled already. Is that the first NC400 DIY implementation to date?

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice! Very interesting.

rodtor

Forum Donor
The internal layout of the Audiophonics implementation looks nice to me, with separate power supplies, and plenty of distance between the two pairs of amps and power supplies. Does anybody else have any comments on the apparent quality of that layout?

I hope that they also make it available with a North American power supply.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Wonder how much the external heat sinks are really needed...

Top Bottom