• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital Preamp? (or Predac?)

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you provide a link to an example? All the switches I found have only toslink inputs. Also, I don't think the passive audio SPDIF inputs will fit my digital coax plugs (I might be wrong on that?).
I use one like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/HQ-3-Way-S...958027&sr=8-5&keywords=passive+audio+switcher

It's a stereo analogue switcher, but I just use one channel.

I also have one of these, with the same effect.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SDS-Switch...48958159&sr=8-3&keywords=4+way+audio+switcher

S

Willem

Major Contributor
I use one and it is very convenient. I have four optical sources and only one optical input on my ADI-2. The only proviso is that there should be no signal coming from a source that is not used. My Pro-ject phono pre amp with optical output does not have an on/off switch and this was an issue. So instead I use it with an optical-coax converter into the coaxial input of the ADI-2. The optical outputs of the BD player, tv and CCA were not a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpo

jpo

I use one and it is very convenient. I have four optical sources and only one optical input on my ADI-2. The only proviso is that there should be no signal coming from a source that is not used. My Pro-ject phono pre amp with optical output does not have an on/off switch and this was an issue. So instead I use it with an optical-coax converter into the coaxial input of the ADI-2. The BD player, tv and CCA were not a problem.
I’m using a Parks Audio puffin that is easy to mod to get a coax output; it has power switch. I’m súper hyped about this little thing, I’m getting also a pair of hyped fusion amps (plates with amps, dsp for crossover and digital inputs) so my system will be speakers, this little box for the cca and the tv and my phono vía coax... to wire them I’ll put an aes ebu cable in between... since you can program the amps to wake on digital signal, just a google home command or a few taps from my roon app in my phone and I’ll be listening music!! Also a big plus is that most of the gear (except for the speakers and turntable) will be kind of invisible...o_Oo_O

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I’m using a Parks Audio puffin that is easy to mod to get a coax output; it has power switch. I’m súper hyped about this little thing, I’m getting also a pair of hyped fusion amps (plates with amps, dsp for crossover and digital inputs) so my system will be speakers, this little box for the cca and the tv and my phono vía coax... to wire them I’ll put an aes ebu cable in between... since you can program the amps to wake on digital signal, just a google home command or a few taps from my roon app in my phone and I’ll be listening music!! Also a big plus is that most of the gear (except for the speakers and turntable) will be kind of invisible...o_Oo_O

Gotta love that kind of tight convenience! Nice setup. I have a puffin as well and I need to do that conversion myself...

Reactions: jpo

Willem

Major Contributor
The Puffin is a bit expensive for my taste and I am not into adding 'air'. As for the auto wakeup, that is something very convenient indeed. In my main system I use a master-slave power strip for that. My neatest system is my bedroom system with a little AVA Maestro 50 digital amplifier with digital inputs. It has an auto on/off function so I have put it out of sight in a wardrobe, with a CCA as its only source. I wake it up from my phone by streaming to the CCA, and when I stop casting it turns itself off. It does not get warm enough to need serious ventilation. In fact, that is of course another advantage of modern energy efficient amplifiers such as class D or this little chip amplifier. I really think the time has come to have auto on/off on all power amplifiers, just like on subwoofers. People discuss the looks of audio gear, but for me the best looking gear is invisible gear.

jpo

People discuss the looks of audio gear, but for me the best looking gear is invisible gear.
Indeed :).

The only two "look relevant" parts of a system right now are speakers and turntables (assuming that no one does CDs anymore)... everything else can be hidden away.

Willem

Major Contributor
I still have a Bluray player connected to my TV and main stereo system. In fact, I may even update it to UHD Bluray, because Netflix is just such mediocre commercial cr*p. I still have a turntable because my family did not allow me to sell it, but personally I think the days of vinyl have been long gone. And yes, speakers are and remain a thing - particularly with large ones like my Quad 2805 electrostats. At least these look clean and modern, unlike earlier incarnations. That was the main reason I bought them to replace my ELS57s, although the 2805s do sound rather better.

Willem

Major Contributor
This is of course another example of the modern dac/preamp, albeit one that is some eight years old. It not only has digital inpuits, but also a multitude of analogue ones. Personally I do not care for the latter, so I am more than happy with my cheaper RME ADI-2. The ADI-2 has some useful additional features, and it is bound to measure better.

Jaimo

I’ve been searching for exactly the device described by the OP - with the addition of analog inputs and the Benchmark DAC pre’s come closest to meeting my requirements. The main dealbreaker with the Benchmark is the lack of HDMI support but I’m still leaning towards this option.

OdysseusG

I've been wondering about this since I steered a buddy to a pair of Kii Threes. The Kii Control only has one input of each type and the remote control functionality seems like a total afterthought. That, along with his affection for his old sub resulted in a setup where he has a home theater prepro doing A/D conversion to feed the sub and the Kii Threes, which then do another round of A/D/D/A. This clearly bugs me more than it does him.

Anyway, I nominate the assorted Minidsp units. The OpenDRC-DI should work just fine as a digital preamp at $325. I'm eyeing the SHD for the volume display and possibility of adjusting EQ to either eliminate the sub or at least optimize it if it's to stay.

Top Bottom