• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pure digital AV processor?

laidick

Forum Donor
Given that most AV processor measurement are not so great here, is there any AV processor which has digital output (USB or AES) so we can have external DAC to do the hard job ?

Ideally the AV processor just need to:
Decode the surround format (Atmos, DTS, Auro3D etc...)
Room Correction
DSP
Crossover
Digital Volume

Then everything else let the DAC and power Amp to do their best.

Thanks.

audimus

For the latest surround formats you need up to 16 channels in and 16 channels out DACs and then you need an amp with 16 channels in.

It makes very little sense to do an external DAC and amp with that kind of connectivity or it can get very expensive

I don’t think most people will notice the difference in sound quality from DACs in existing AVRs for a typical usage of that many channels being HT rather than music. But then music typically doesn’t come with Dolby or Digital encodings. And most of the music content out there is CD quality anyway, so just use a AVR that does fine with 16 bits upto 48khz sampling. Or use an external DAC for just music taking the digital pre-out from an AVR if you find one with it.

This chase for the best measured DAC numbers is not a practically defensible need for most people. Use the measurements here to discover any hidden gotchas for equipment and don’t take the SINAD absolute numbers too seriously.

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I looked into that too and found this to be a surprisingly difficult question, at least within an overseeable budget.
The Oppos 103, 105, 203 and 205 can decode up to 7.1 into Lpcm on HDMI, I am not sure about Atmos. There are mods that add a couple of 2 channel Spdifs to some Oppos, but that seems to violate the Hdmi licensing which only allows non-encrypted 2 channel Spdif, and then one is left with non synchronized Spdif streams. Then there are mods for MiniDSP stuff that taps into the I2s links and extracts stuff. Illegal too and they seem not to give support for this. And there is the quest for budget friendly Mch DAC, like an Oppo 205 with a broken transport. I gave up on this topic, I hope for good posts here...

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Given that most AV processor measurement are not so great here, is there any AV processor which has digital output (USB or AES) so we can have external DAC to do the hard job ?

Room Correction
DSP
Crossover
Digital Volume

Thanks.
HTPC? :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Primare Knob

Room Correction
DSP
Crossover
Digital Volume

Thanks.
When you skip all the analogue parts you practically end up with se sort of computer.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/alternative-ht-setup.9067/#post-234306

Room correction can be done with software. Either manually or automatically with a paid licensed from Dirac.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Neddy

Thanks Kal! Very eager to hear more about it when it's ready for prime time.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Room Correction
DSP
Crossover
Digital Volume

Thanks.

Why not handle handle volume control in the DAC for an all digital processor?

- Rich

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
In beta now. It will return.
The problem seems to be, that private PCs are a bad platform for serious software with serious license fees, like DiracLive. Too much hacking & ripping. I am ignorant there, please forgive me. But is there a software package that plays Mch Blu-ray or DVDAudio (non-ripped) with all Dolby, DTS... licensing with Mch USB output?

JG2020

PowerDVD (Windows only) can operate as a multichannel software decoder, sending BR/DVD's multi-chan audio (via USB) directly to the analog outputs of an RME Fireface UCX - works very well. I tried also with a Motu 8D but only got 2-chan playback so may be exclusive to the RME devices.
See page 17 FF UCX user-manual for more details.

Edit: there is also an option to send a AC-3/DTS non-decoded digital multichannel data stream via SPDIF output to an AVR etc.

Last edited:

HLee

I have a same idea.
16ch DAC, Preamplifier in a single case? That's the cause of distortion and noise.
Price? We don't need decent amplifier for ceiling speakers. Only front floor channels are important.
There are many possible combinations to make system economically.

Hacking & Ripping? It may become easier. However, trinnov processors are pc based system and offering digital outputs, besides analog 16chs.
Copyright can be protected by some different algorithms.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
However, trinnov processors are pc based system and offering digital outputs, besides analog 16chs.
Good suggestion.

OP
laidick

laidick

Forum Donor
Why not handle handle volume control in the DAC for an all digital processor?

- Rich

Because not sure if there is multi channel DAC...
In AV usually have 11-16channels, better to control all volume in 1 place.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because not sure if there is multi channel DAC...
In AV usually have 11-16channels, better to control all volume in 1 place.

Of course, but that does not mean there isn't central processing making the decision.

- Rich

OP
laidick

laidick

Forum Donor
Of course, but that does not mean there isn't a central processing making the decision.

- Rich
Yeah, if there is one of course I would like to have it :)

Top Bottom