• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The kit we bought, our current setups

STUDIO51

5033620D-849F-4F8C-B897-9447C1D3DDA6.jpeg

first speaker system. when I was 16 years old
psb alpha b1

C0FCA833-245F-4A2B-B762-5F76106AEB5C.jpeg

KEF Q300 - 17 years old

20675510-8F66-46B2-86F3-DA654D56A91A.jpeg

JBL LSR 308 - First JBL 308 in Republic of korea
18 years old

51A8102A-6448-4872-BA87-FE502BC91B63.jpeg

Neumann Kh120
ADAM SUB12
LYNX HILO
dbx pa2

-19 years old

D1871E61-530F-46EA-83C4-20369A7F6BBF.jpeg

JBL M2
LYNX HILO
BENCHMARK AHB2 *2
dbx pa2
MINIDSP DDRC 22DI
COWON PLENUE L

-21 years old

digicidal

Major Contributor
Sure, on top of this low-cost modular antiseismic design being my crown jewel as DIY king, unpainted cinderblocks also have interesting acoustic properties (from Everest et al, Master Handbook of Acoustics - is this audio science, or what ? ;) ) :

181208090352334041.jpg

So of the materials tested... they're the best for taming unruly bass notes... unless painted of course. Pretty sure if I stacked a ton of them in the corners of the living room, I'd be homeless and single the next day... but interesting to think about if I ever have a basement media room. :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
JBL M2
LYNX HILO
BENCHMARK AHB2 *2
dbx pa2
MINIDSP DDRC 22DI
COWON PLENUE L
Very Nice!!!
Another M2 system custom crossover/amp'd.
Those AHB2's and M2's should be a match made in heaven. ;)

SDC

IMG_20191011_132946.jpg

4367 and wxa50. Simple system
wxa-50 is behind the 78"tv. It's curved so enough space back there.

My favorite part of this system is that almost no cables are visible.
But the dealer didn't liked it and told me I should buy Tchernov cables:facepalm:

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

I’ve wanted to get those big Yamahas once upon a time (but I don’t have that much space for big speakers in my rooms though) just for the retro feel and look.

Also, funnily, a relative of mine remarked how antiquated or obsolete my blu-ray/DVD/CD collection was which was displayed in a hallway. I kind of agree a little bit, but I only get stuff on discount/sale about 80% of the time. It certainly is cheaper than buying a “digital” copy this way. And at least it’s easy to lend discs. Although it was the first time that I kind of felt embarrassed to even still have physical media in today’s digital age. Still it surprises (and annoys) me how ebooks and digital downloads are sometimes more expensive than the physical copy which is just ridiculous.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
View attachment 35716
first speaker system. when I was 16 years old
psb alpha b1

View attachment 35717
KEF Q300 - 17 years old

View attachment 35718
JBL LSR 308 - First JBL 308 in Republic of korea
18 years old

View attachment 35719
Neumann Kh120
ADAM SUB12
LYNX HILO
dbx pa2

-19 years old

View attachment 35720
JBL M2
LYNX HILO
BENCHMARK AHB2 *2
dbx pa2
MINIDSP DDRC 22DI
COWON PLENUE L

-21 years old

Wow! You’ve really upgraded fast! It makes me wonder though what your setup would be in a decade or two.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
View attachment 35730
4367 and wxa50. Simple system
wxa-50 is behind the 78"tv. It's curved so enough space back there.

My favorite part of this system is that almost no cables are visible.
But the dealer didn't liked it and told me I should buy Tchernov cables:facepalm:

I think most people would be horrified when they see my own attempts at “cable management”

STUDIO51

Very Nice!!!
Another M2 system custom crossover/amp'd.
Those AHB2's and M2's should be a match made in heaven. ;)

Yeah. @John_Siau also praised this combination. These two combinations make me crush all the time.

Wow! You’ve really upgraded fast! It makes me wonder though what your setup would be in a decade or two.

PNG 이미지.png

System goal until next year. The system chain consists of full digital until the power amplifier. The DSP will also consist of FIR, not IIR.

Ceburaska

Forum Donor

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
I’ve wanted to get those big Yamahas once upon a time (but I don’t have that much space for big speakers in my rooms though) just for the retro feel and look.

Also, funnily, a relative of mine remarked how antiquated or obsolete my blu-ray/DVD/CD collection was which was displayed in a hallway. I kind of agree a little bit, but I only get stuff on discount/sale about 80% of the time. It certainly is cheaper than buying a “digital” copy this way. And at least it’s easy to lend discs. Although it was the first time that I kind of felt embarrassed to even still have physical media in today’s digital age. Still it surprises (and annoys) me how ebooks and digital downloads are sometimes more expensive than the physical copy which is just ridiculous.
I only got the NS1000s a week ago. They’re big, bigger than the Vivid Oval B1s. But much easier to place against walls so probably more suited to smaller rooms. For full retro effect I should pair them with my 1980s’ Technics system.
I’m old enough that I have more records than CDs/ DVDs combined. Streaming isn’t reliably available (in my location), and I’ve seen films disappear without notice often enough that for favourites I want a physical copy. Most have been bought in charity shops, so cheap enough.
And I’m a historian, so don’t mind being antiquated or obsolete.

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
Main room - in case one worries about my sanity, I'd like to stress that I don't listen to both systems simultaneously :)
View attachment 35738
Ooh Giyas, lovely. It’s like having an Great Old One’s tentacles in the room.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
The Drum & Bass station... :p

View attachment 35736

I see you also use a tablet as a secondary music display/remote like me. ;) Unfortunately, I do have the issue of Spotify automatically turning the screen blank after about an hour which kind of gets annoying. The same thing doesn't happen with JRemote for JRiver though.

Hay... If I weren't so concious about the acoustic problems posed by large/multiple displays, I think I would have opted for one of those ultrawide curved monitors stacked on top of one another -- quite potentially likely an acoustic nightmare. I haven't tested it yet but I do wonder if orienting the monitor vertically would improve FR (specifically the low mids) in my LP. Hmmmn... might try measuring it later.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I only got the NS1000s a week ago. They’re big, bigger than the Vivid Oval B1s. But much easier to place against walls so probably more suited to smaller rooms. For full retro effect I should pair them with my 1980s’ Technics system.
I’m old enough that I have more records than CDs/ DVDs combined. Streaming isn’t reliably available (in my location), and I’ve seen films disappear without notice often enough that for favourites I want a physical copy. Most have been bought in charity shops, so cheap enough.
And I’m a historian, so don’t mind being antiquated or obsolete.

Yes. I used to bookmark all the films I planned to watch on streaming sites... after about a year or two of rechecking the same movies/TV shows, more than half of it have (or more likely 75%) in my bookmarks are gone! Quite annoying as I sometimes feel as though I've spent more time searching and bookmarking titles than actually watching them. LOL

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow! Looks awesome. How do the Focals compare to the Vivids?
And do you have two separate systems driving them or a switch for the speakers?

Thx. Driven separately. The Giyas by a Linn Akurate combo (stable, too much trouble to change things). The Focal by different DAC/preamp combos (Cambridge Dac Magic+ in the picture) depending on the mood and a set of dual hypex nc400 monoblocks. Happy with both, just as I would be happy with many other speakers.

Random thoughts:

- the Utopias are harder to drive than the Giyas, that's what led me to try the Hypex kits.
- the Hypex kits have to be the best amplification deal ever.
- a year ago I could have sworn there was a massive difference between the Giyas and the Utopias, in favor of the Giyas. Then, I played the "blind test" game with my partner and that difference essentially collapsed. Now, after a bit of training, the difference is back, to a lesser extent, still in favor of the Giyas for the music I like most and know very well. But, as I already have said, I would have been happy with either.
- measurement for both are roughly similar at the sweep spot and along the lines of the "reference" curve that is so much liked here.
- I also have a set of subs (not pictured because they are on the side), not mandatory, but they do help some pieces.

Totally subjective assessment:

Giyas positive: they just aren't there. I will always remember the face of a friend, who is a pro classical artist and renowned teacher, when she listened to her own recordings on them for the first time. I can be summarized as jaw dropped on the floor and then "WTF, where does the music come from?" albeit in more elegant terms... Regardless of any long subjective discussion one can have about the ability of speakers to reproduce a live experience, the subjective total disappearance of said speakers is spooky in a very positive sense.
Giyas negative: reliability :) D50 mid died on me, without even being driven hard.

Utopias positive: the ability to go to very high SPLs while staying close to Giyas in other aspects.
Utopias negative: comparatively to Giyas at least, you somehow feel their presence. Harder to drive (but ultimately driven cheaply thanks to NC400)

Top Bottom