• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio Appears to Be Releasing a Coaxial Speaker (NAMM video featuring Charles Sprinkle)

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Any thoughts on these new Tannoy dual concentric active monitors that were also just announced at a similar price point? https://www.tannoy.com/Categories/T...io-Monitoring/GOLD-8/p/P0C2C#googtrans(en|en)

I found some more detailed specs here: https://media63.music-group.com/media/PLM/data/docs/P0C2C/Tannoy_GOLD 8 P0C2C_Product Information Document.pdf

300W Class AB amps, although they list a lower max SPL of 110 compared to 114 for the IN-8.

The specs suggest the Tannoy really needs a subwoofer where the Kali can likely do without (54 vs 45 @-3db). I have the JBL sub so the Tannoy does interest me. Looking for the reviews on both.

Icboschert

Forum Donor
Would monitors like the LP-8 and IN-8 work well 8 feet apart and 12-13 feet from the MLP? Powered monitors seem like tremendous value but doesn't seem like most of them can operate mid to far field

neph

Lots of near field studio monitors have wide dispersion that won't work well if you're sitting far away.

The polar pattern of a Genelec 83xx and the off-axis response of a Revel F208/F228 (a high performance home speaker) indicate that both embrace the "constant directivity" design principle. It seems that are both have somewhat lower directivity index, which means that the off-axis attenuation is smooth. I suppose this would also classify them both "wide dispersion" speakers.

Looking at the suggested listening distances of the Genelec spec sheet (https://www.genelec.com/sites/default/files/media/Studio monitors/Catalogues/genelec_monitors_in-room_performance.pdf ), they specify for 8351 a maximum distance of ~7ft with an RT60 (Room reverberation time) of 250 ms. Based on the same graph, above that, quoting the spec "the sound character is strongly affected by the reverberation characteristics of the room". To my understanding, the thing is that although many sound engineers will want to avoid reverberation, many people in home applications will prefer the more reverberant, aka livelier and less dry sound, assuming of course that the off-axis response is somewhat controlled. For example, Mr. Linkwitz (R.I.P.) has stated that he prefers livelier rooms with RT60 of 450s (mentioned on the Kii three review http://www.linkwitzlab.com/Constant_directivity_louds.htm).

To conclude:
a) Modern professional speakers are being designed for specific applications and upon stricter specification, but..
b) the above rules in general, don't make them any less suitable for home use. If anything a JBL 305/308 with its directivity controlling horn and wide dispersion would be even more suitable for home use than other boutique 2-way speakers.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Would monitors like the LP-8 and IN-8 work well 8 feet apart and 12-13 feet from the MLP? Powered monitors seem like tremendous value but doesn't seem like most of them can operate mid to far field
I tested the LP-6 in a configuration not too terribly different than what you're asking (about 6.5 feet apart, with me sitting about 9.5 feet back). The LP-8 should work fine in that larger setting.

audiophool

The polar pattern of a Genelec 83xx and the off-axis response of a Revel F208/F228 (a high performance home speaker) indicate that both embrace the "constant directivity" design principle. It seems that are both have somewhat lower directivity index, which means that the off-axis attenuation is smooth. I suppose this would also classify them both "wide dispersion" speakers

IDK what constant directivity means if it can be used to describe design principle of F228Be.

Neddy

I'm supposed to receive my IN-8s later this week, and will have them set up (for a while at least) in similar conf (actually about 10' apart, 10' from MLP) and will let you know!
I currently have 305s (for TV use) in that position, and they seem fine, though would not consider them for mains use at all.
(Go Pack!!) :rolleyes:
Update: new arrival date now, Oct.28th. :mad:

Last edited:

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Received notice on it just now:
https://www.kaliaudio.com/independence

I'm impressed, to say the least. A three-way monitor, with a coaxial mid/treble, where the mid woofer takes care of everything from 300 to 3000 hz, thus making it close to a true point source. They also claim that their design avoids the intermodulation distortion that has plagued many coaxial designs. They restrict the movement of the mid woofer, so it won't interfere with the tweeter. At the same time they claim a max spl of 114 db!

The 8-inch woofer is said to reach the -3db point at 45 hz, and the -10db point at 37 hz.

And all of this for... 800 bucks a pair!

I'm curious to see polar plots, though, and see if independent testing confirms their claims. If it works as advertised, this seems to me to be rather extraordinary value. If I found way to refinish it in something veneer-ish I could mayve even convince the wife...

EDIT: Saw now that Sweetwater has more information on it: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IN8--kali-audio-in-8-8-inch-powered-studio-monitor
This looks like very decent engineering.

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Very tempting, indeed (and it does look nice). We lack options in the active 3-way coaxials range; anything else than this and Genelec's now defunct 8260?
I hope they solved the nearfield hiss problem they inherited from JBL's LSR serie, though.

Not related at all, but how can the Neumann KH310 do -3 dB @ 34 Hz while being sealed and having a woofer only 0.25" larger than this? Very high excursion?

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not related at all, but how can the Neumann KH310 do -3 dB @ 34 Hz while being sealed and having a woofer only 0.25" larger than this? Very high excursion?

Probably, or that they employ lots of DSP and eq to get the woofer to go down there. Just guessing.

psydave

Forum Donor
Very tempting, indeed (and it does look nice). We lack options in the active 3-way coaxials range; anything else than this and Genelec's now defunct 8260?
I hope they solved the nearfield hiss problem they inherited from JBL's LSR serie, though.

Probably, or that they employ lots of DSP and eq to get the woofer to go down there. Just guessing.

I'm guessing as well but I think it has more to do with power + lower efficiency woofer that can do lower frequencies better. The Kali has 60W for it's woofer and the Neumann has 160W.

Neddy

For sure, and pls merge them if possible.
I also just joined the DX3 Pro LDAC Drop (thanks for that tip, ASR) so I'll have a nice DAC to be able to do some level of comparisons with the big system (the IN8s are primarily for TV, at least initially, which are on separate systems - the DX3 should allow me to feed them both from the same source.)

audiophool

All the Genelec "The Ones" speakers are 3 way

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Well, they are, but the bass drivers had some compression problems; at least in the 8351A. The 8260A was better in my opinion, since I think that bass doesn't benefit as much from the point source concept.

ripvw

Forum Donor
I sent Kali an email re: near-field use of the IN-8's and here is their very quick reply:

Thanks for reaching out. The IN-8s have the same 8” woofer as the LP-8s, so you can expect a similar listening distance for them. The LP-8 has a recommended listening distance of roughly 2.8 meters, with a recommended minimum of 1 meter listening distance. They will certainly work in a near-field environment, but I would give yourself a few feet from the speaker for listening. If you decide to check out the monitors once they’re available commercially, you can listen to the IN-8s in person at Westlake Pro in Hollywood. https://westlakepro.com

Let me know if there’s anything else I can do for you!
Jake @ Kali

audiophool

Well, they are, but the bass drivers had some compression problems; at least in the 8351A. The 8260A was better in my opinion, since I think that bass doesn't benefit as much from the point source concept.

There is no compression problem. They are designed to be used at around 2m listening distance.

Top Bottom