• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade from a 58X?

OP
P

primordial

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OP
P

primordial

Adorama has B-stock Audeze EL-8 open backs for $250 right now, good sounding headphones if you want to try out planars,
https://www.adorama.com/au200e81212b.html?emailprice=t&utm_source=rflaid91277
Just not sure what kind of warranty Adorama has for them.
But like a few have already said, best to try it before you buy it if possible.

This looks like an incredibly good deal. My only concern is that they're refurbished. I'm not sure how reliable refurbished headphones are.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
This looks like an incredibly good deal. My only concern is that they're refurbished. I'm not sure how reliable refurbished headphones are.

In the box is a one year Audeze warranty. Only thing is you don't know what revision of the original EL8 you're buying. Maybe that's very minor.
You'll get a standard cable. If you're an iPhone user, Audeze makes a "smart" cable for the EL8 that you may want buy sometime latter.

Last edited:

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
My pair of EL-8 cans are B-stock or refurb, can't remember which, but I bought direct from Audeze and they came with the 3 year warranty.
I have too many headphones, so they don't get used a lot, but so far no problems after over 2 years.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
In the box is a one year Audeze warranty. Only thing is you don't know what revision of the original EL8 your buying. Maybe that's very minor.
You'll get a standard cable. If you're an iPhone user, Audeze makes a "smart" cable for the EL8 that you may want buy sometime latter.
They should have the most recent driver, and Audeze has the iPhone cipher cable on their site for $99.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I thought the Sennheiser HD700's were a very satisfying upgrade from the HD600 and HD6xx. Not saying that there aren't even better headphones.

Last edited:

saturnaal

You may want to seriously consider continuing to enjoy your (really quite good) HD58X just a little longer to save up the extra for the Koss ESP-95X. I think there's a discount code in the deals thread that let you buy these for $400 (which I think is a great value EDIT: when compared to other over-ears in the same price range. There are absolutely cheaper headphones which provide better value per dollar if that's your priority).

The sound quality is remarkable. Available measurements (of either the ESP-95X or the ESP-950 from which they are derived) show very low distortion and a relatively neutral, inoffensive frequency response. I use a slight low-bass shelf (roughly equating to +5dB under 50hz) based on measurements performed by oratory1990, but otherwise no EQ or modifications.

In my subjective opinion they truly outclass any other headphone I've owned (AKG K240, AKG K702, Fostex T50RP MKIII, Sennheiser HD650) in both sound and comfort. They are about as open as a headphone can be. It's easy to converse with someone in the room, or hear the doorbell without taking them off. It's also easy for others in the room to hear what you're listening to if the volume is turned up a bit.

There are three common "complaints" you'll see about these if you start doing your research.

First, ignore reports of them feeling "poorly made" or "chintzy". They're certainly surprisingly lightweight (largely due to the extremely open enclosures and the electrostat driver), but no more "flimsy" than other headphones I've handled at similar price points. I use them daily at my desk and have zero concerns about longevity. Notice the lack of reports of broken headsets.

The second is complaints about the split volume knob of the E90X energizer. While I admit that it demands a little more attention when adjusting the volume to ensure the L/R levels are matched than is typical on a headphone amplifier, once again I think the issue is overblown. Once I got used to it, I had no issues adjusting the volume with both knobs simultaneously. I also appreciate the additional 'balance' capability this split knob provides. Personally, I no longer use the volume on the energizer. I now use the digital volume control on my DAC, and have the E90X set to a level that corresponds with the loudest level I'll ever listen at when the DAC is at -0.0dB. In your case, you could use the JDS Atom as a preamp and control volume with the nice large knob it has.

Third, the "crackling" or "popping" noises many users report. This one I can't dismiss so easily. Electrostatic drivers certainly seem to have their own quirks. I bought my ESP-95X pre-owned off eBay. I had read all about these noises from many places online prior to receiving the headphones. During the first few days of use, there was nothing at all like this. Later on, I started to hear some minor 'electrical discharge like noise' in the right side. Fearing the worst, I contacted Koss customer support and was immediately sent instructions to return them for warranty service. I never got around to sending them in, and about a week later I realized I was no longer hearing the noise. It was just gone. Is this a design issue, quality control, unavoidable quirk of electrostats, a break in period, or just a fluke? I really don't know. I do know that for me, the problem has completely disappeared and if it comes back I have 100% confidence that Koss will address it in a timely and professional manner.

I figure it seems like I'm shilling pretty hard for these, but honestly I'm just very pleased with them. I was looking for my "end game", and was really keen on the HD800S but had deep reservations about the cost/benefit. After looking at a ton of FR and distortion charts, I decided to take a chance on the Koss. I bought them figuring if I wasn't impressed I could sell them and recoup nearly 100% of my cost, then buy the Sennheisers. After using the ESP-95X for about two months now, I'm convinced that they're here to stay as my "daily driver".

I will also not be replacing the pads (the vesper pads seem heavier, bulkier, and less breathable than the stock pads), or fussing around with Stax energizers (which have never been properly tested or had their effect on the FR measured).

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
I'm looking to buy open-back headphones that are clear upgrade from the 58X Jubilees. My budget is roughly $350, though I have some flexibility. ... ("Such a headphone does not exist at this price range" is a perfectly acceptable answer...)
OK, I'll say it: "such a headphone [a clear upgrade from the 58x] doesn't exist at that price range". By "clear upgrade" I mean one that both measures and sounds better. Yeah, it's essentially saying you can't clearly beat the 58x for twice its price. That's true. You might find headphones that you like as much or better, but "clear upgrade" implies something measurable like lower bass distortion or flatter frequency response.

That said, one new headphone I'm very curious about is the new Audeze LCD-1. It's close to your $350 price range. Initial impressions are positive, but I haven't seen a full suite of measurements. Jude at Head-Fi has one and says he'll release the measurements soon.

garbulky

Major Contributor
OK, I'll say it: "such a headphone [a clear upgrade from the 58x] doesn't exist at that price range". By "clear upgrade" I mean one that both measures and sounds better. Yeah, it's essentially saying you can't clearly beat the 58x for twice its price. That's true.

That said, one new headphone I'm very curious about is the new Audeze LCD-1. Initial impressions are positive, but I haven't seen a full suite of measurements. Jude at Head-Fi has one and says he'll release the measurements soon.
I really do think the Sennheiser HD700's are a clear upgrade. Though measurement wise it's probably not going to measure better as it has a treble peak.

nhunt

If you are already EQing them to taste, I personally don’t see an obvious upgrade out there in the price you are looking at. The massdrop sennheisers are a great deal. They have good channel balance, not too many high-Q peaks, relatively easy to drive, low distortions, comfy, sturdy, and are pretty cheap relative to their value.

Even above this price range I feel like you are getting into steep diminishing returns territory (Again, assuming you EQ to taste).

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
I too am wary of any 'refurbished' transducers of any sort..But as a possible new outlier, might you consider a new HE400i currently on Amazon for $169:

HIFIMAN HE-400I Over Ear Full-Size Planar Magnetic Headphones Adjustable Headphone with Comfortable Earpads Open-Back Design Easy Cable Swapping https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MULH672/

Yes, it's now an older model, but it has a 'less thin' diaphram compared to the Sundara.. Possibly more durable..

I've had my HE400i for several months now. Playing Classical with pretty wide dynamic range, and bass. No problems, and sound good to me compared to previous SHP9500..

If you go Amazon, I have never had a problem returning within their 30-day window..

Svperstar

Svperstar

Can you please elaborate?

The detail/separation and 3D imaging sounds amazing but modern ears are used to overemphasized bass and electrostats don't provide that. You can 100% hear the bass in very bass heavy tracks but the Koss ESP don't provide that head shaking rattle that most listeners want.

The Koss ESP really shine on very fast music not slow music with a lot of bass

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
index.php

Measured by Marv, SBAF with EARS and their own compensation.

Top Bottom