• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uptone EtherREGEN

Audiocrusader

Thanks! Clearly you're the JBL expert...

So the $11500 Mola Mola Tambaqui is recommended by JBL to feed a $1400 noisy DSP box? Sounds like someone has been taken for a ride. Even if you used a $165 Topping DAC, the BSS BLU 50 would be the objective weak link. Unless of course you have some special beliefs that are outside of the common knowledge of this forum?

BSS BLU 50 vs $165 Topping D50. which is the objective weak link?

Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 9.42.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 9.47.35 PM.png

Last edited:

Spanky Wanky

OMG they are at it again.

No benefit for audio whatsoever.

I usually make a point of not criticising other manufacturers products regardless of what I think of them, but this is just a con.

You're kind of a dick. What about your products?!

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

BillG

Major Contributor
It's total insanity and gullible audiophiles can't wait to buy this stuff. Go figure.

A member of our streaming group was about to purchase an $800 USD "audiophile" Ethernet switch last week, and hopefully I was successful at talking them out of it, but not without some difficulty, though.

The opinion they expressed, induced by some manufacturer/dealer trying to upsell them no doubt, was that digital audio was somehow such a unique dataset that it required special care beyond what a corporate environment would take for network equipment used to transmit millions or billions of dollars worth of data assets. Nevermind that such an environment is far more logistically and electrically challenging than any home network would ever be, the assets far more valuable monetarily, and that digital video and audio is often transmitted within it as well... :facepalm:

digicidal

Major Contributor
Nope. I just despise dicks.
Due to the inherent appeal of self-loathing I presume? Gotta up that troll-game a bit. At least flesh out the responses.

If you want some great insipration, check out @lowiqaudiophilewgoldenear posts on here... they achieve a level of quality your posts can only dream of reaching. ;)

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Without them it is kind of hard to procreate. But maybe you are not a mammal and use the egg method???

Since his handle is "Spanky Wanky" and he mentioned them in 2 of his 3 posts, my money is on autonomous hermaphrodite.

Last edited:

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the question I always ask:

Since computer playback of audio is not real time (NRT), and application dependent, take Tidal for example. You can start the play back and pull the cable and the music will still play. What happens to what you are hearing at that point you pull the plug?

For the ~$200-250 you can go with LC Multi-mode 850nm OM3 50/125, GB switch with SFP ports and go fully optical from server to client.

Better yet for ~$150 you can go with 802.11ac.

It will be interesting to get Amir a unit to bench.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
there is absolutely absolutely zero justification for fancy ethernet switches or "power conditioning" w/rt audio

anyone who tells you otherwise is lying to you
That's not quite true, but the exceptions are in pro audio protocols and are well defined. These are rare in domestic situations, but have been mentioned in other threads as options for multichannel, multiway systems, so it seems worth mentioning here. Dante and AES67 both recommend QOS support requirements for switches transporting the audio data - this is relatively common but may not be present on entry level switches. Audinate's advice for Dante is here. AVB is more demanding, requiring hardware timestamping in the network devices. This is still quite rare, which is why manufacturers list switches that are known to be compatible (PreSonus, Biamp)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It will be interesting to get Amir a unit to bench.
Crap.... They want $640 for it! They refused to sell me their products in the past anyway so I can't buy it. If someone else gets one, sure, we can test it. They say they have a 30 day return period.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the question I always ask:

Since computer playback of audio is not real time (NRT), and application dependent, take Tidal for example. You can start the play back and pull the cable and the music will still play. What happens to what you are hearing at that point you pull the plug?

<snip>

Oh No! don't do that. The Soundstage would collapse,to a single point. The music won't emerge from a dark background.. Actually it will stay strapped inside a dark void, the reproduction will no loger be organic and will be devoid of life. PRaT will become null... Don't ever do that!

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's not quite true, but the exceptions are in pro audio protocols and are well defined. These are rare in domestic situations, but have been mentioned in other threads as options for multichannel, multiway systems, so it seems worth mentioning here. Dante and AES67 both recommend QOS support requirements for switches transporting the audio data - this is relatively common but may not be present on entry level switches. Audinate's advice for Dante is here. AVB is more demanding, requiring hardware timestamping in the network devices. This is still quite rare, which is why manufacturers list switches that are known to be compatible (PreSonus, Biamp)

Those are all priority and latency issues with AES67 and AVB. AVB has some strict requirements: 2ms round trip, a layer 2 diameter no more than 7 deep, 200 end points.

Top Bottom