• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uptone EtherREGEN

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yet another unmeasured piece from Uptone on a "problem" that I'm pretty sure doesn't even exist. Oh and if one uses a wireless mesh network, how does this even make any difference if we speculate that it does work? Now you have wireless involved. Come on people. It gets more and more crazy as each year passes by. From promises of of objective data by them when they have time and yet that totally gets overlooked and they time to build a pick and place machine along with new products always prevails. It's total insanity and gullible audiophiles can't wait to buy this stuff. Go figure.

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/EtherREGEN

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As long as people keep on buying these BS wares and the soundstage keeps expanding, the black get darker and the reproduction more organic, this and other extremely expensive box of dirt will also continue to exist.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yet another unmeasured piece from Uptone on a "problem" that I'm pretty sure doesn't even exist. Oh and if one uses a wireless mesh network, how does this even make any difference if we speculate that it does work? Now you have wireless involved. Come on people. It gets more and more crazy as each year passes by. From promises of of objective data by them when they have time and yet that totally gets overlooked and they time to build a pick and place machine along with new products always prevails. It's total insanity and gullible audiophiles can't wait to buy this stuff. Go figure.

But, but.... it’s a got a moat!

Echolane

I spoke to the folks at Uptone Audio some six months ago about a power supply, and the conversation turned to this REGEN product, soon to be introduced. The suggestion was that this would be “just what I needed”. I honestly didn’t understand why it would be a better choice than a linear power supply at the time. But now I really do need an Ethernet switch and I am wondering why I shouldn’t be interested in a product like this from Uptown Audio. Or the AQVOX switch recently reviewed by Hans Beekhausen. Seriously, is there a reason to spend some real dollars on a switch? And if so, are there some good switches out there?

Superdad

Audio Company
Oh and if one uses a wireless mesh network, how does this even make any difference if we speculate that it does work? Now you have wireless involved. Come on people.

Funny though Jason, I see in your signature that you have two EMO Systems LAN isolators (total retail almost $400; actual parts cost less than $40). What are those passive devices doing for you?
Our product uses active differential isolators and 10GHz-capable ultra low jitter differential flip-flops. Our cost for just the parts on the board (not counting the cost of the bare 6-layer PCB with micro-vias or the cost to assemble) is more than $200.
1570376346287.jpeg

dc655321

Major Contributor
Given that any benefit this product may impart to bits happens upstream of this processing chain:
Ethernet card-->OS kernel-->audio application-->DAC driver-->DAC-->acoustic transducer

What influence do you claim to impart to the generated sound waves?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I spoke to the folks at Uptone Audio some six months ago about a power supply, and the conversation turned to this REGEN product, soon to be introduced. The suggestion was that this would be “just what I needed”. I honestly didn’t understand why it would be a better choice than a linear power supply at the time. But now I really do need an Ethernet switch and I am wondering why I shouldn’t be interested in a product like this from Uptown Audio. Or the AQVOX switch recently reviewed by Hans Beekhausen. Seriously, is there a reason to spend some real dollars on a switch? And if so, are there some good switches out there?

There's not going to be any difference between this and standard switch. I use TP-Link and Dell switches. I have more expensive managed switches because I like to play with things like link aggregation (combining more than one cable to increase throughput and redundancy). But this doesn't make them any better at transmitting audio data (but it will tell me if I have a faulty cable).

Veri

Master Contributor
Funny though Jason, I see in your signature that you have two EMO Systems LAN isolators (total retail almost $400; actual parts cost less than $40). What are those passive devices doing for you?
Our product uses active differential isolators and 10GHz-capable ultra low jitter differential flip-flops. Our cost for just the parts on the board (not counting the cost of the bare 6-layer PCB with micro-vias or the cost to assemble) is more than $200.
View attachment 35309
Holy there's a lot of stuff crammed in that tiny thing, I hope there's no extra noise adding one of these in the 'chain'...
Have you measured the noise using your product, by chance ?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: g29

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 35309
Will you send one to Amir to test?

tw99

View attachment 35309

As someone who made my living in product development in the computer networking field for 30 + years I find this stuff bordering on the offensive.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think a couple of these with an optical cable between them might do a better job of isolating my equipment (if I needed to)...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-MC100CM-Full-Duplex-Multi-Mode-Converter/dp/B001GWSMVU?th=1
I had a couple of this specific bridges for my quarter mile fiber optic link and one of them just died after just two years. So don't go this route regardless of what you think it does for audio.

EDIT: my review of Ether Regen is out: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../uptone-audio-etherregen-switch-review.10232/

Last edited:

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Funny though Jason, I see in your signature that you have two EMO Systems LAN isolators (total retail almost $400; actual parts cost less than $40). What are those passive devices doing for you? ....

Using a compliant medical grade isolator between his internal network and the rest of the world doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a couple of this specific bridges for my quarter mile fiber optic link and one of them just died after just two years. So don't go this route regardless of what you think it does for audio.

Did you replace them with another brand? I have two 20m runs of Cat5E between my house and data centre (AKA 'the garage') and was considering replacing them with fibre.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did you replace them with another brand? I have two 20m runs of Cat5E between my house and data centre (AKA 'the garage') and was considering replacing them with fibre.
I have but don't have enough mileage to know if they will last: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008NV11/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sadly they have less diagnostic LEDs than the TP Link one. That one gives you independent LEDs for the TX and Optical side which was very useful.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
there is absolutely absolutely zero justification for fancy ethernet switches or "power conditioning" w/rt audio

anyone who tells you otherwise is lying to you

Top Bottom