• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec good enough?

leonroy

Forum Donor
Been looking to purchase a system for the home office and wondering if anyone would consider Genelec to be comparable with a high end audio setup?

I've been through the KEF Reference 1, the Devialet Phantom (one went kaput and Devialet apparently can't fix them so I sold those) and the KEF LS50W. It's dismaying to see the state of things with the Ref 1s priced exorbitantly, the Phantoms irreparable and the LS50Ws filled with cheap electrolytic caps.

I was looking at pro equipment since studios don't usually tolerate the above kind of nonsense and saw that Genelec are well regarded. They claim to use high quality parts and offer repair and service for years after.

The Genelec 8050 series have a FR of 38Hz-20kHz (+/- 3db) which seems pretty astounding given that they're half the price of the KEF Reference 1 and include onboard amplification.

Are Genelec comparable to a high end setup for home listening?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Assuming you're not trolling, then yes, absolutely. Genelec are up there with as good as it gets.

They may be cheaper in part because they sell largely through Pro dealers which don't demand the high margins of HiFi dealers, and secondly, they don't bother with stuff like furniture-grade cabinets, they're a tool for reproducing music, not a piece of audio sculpture.

If you want arguably the best audio quality, and can accept their utilitarian appearance, then Genelec is one perfectly valid solution.

S.

OP
L

leonroy

Forum Donor
Are you trolling? ;)

Are Genelec good enough?!?!

:D hahah, yeah - not trolling.

Just trying to wrap my head around the eye watering sums I've spent on HiFi over the years with Devialet and KEF and thinking that all this time a Genelec setup could've been not only comparable but better (for my wallet at least!). Guess seeking validation more than anything!

Are the SAM capable monitors like the 8350A here worth the price (and cable clutter) premium?

TimVG

Major Contributor
Give 'em some space and they won't disappoint. The 83** series ahs the EQ option (just limit it to 400-500Hz) and offer slightly better anechoic numbers than the 80** series counterparts.

openvista

Off axis the 8350 doesn’t look too hot. Some broad q behavior thats different from axial response. The sound power, in particular, is not smooth in transition between LF and HF (sharply shelved). This might only sound great in the nearfield.

Attachments

• CC2120E1-7E0B-4020-A9A1-06C7C8224195.png
    CC2120E1-7E0B-4020-A9A1-06C7C8224195.png
    327.3 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:

TimVG

Major Contributor
From F. Toole's book: Spinorama's of the JBL 6328 and the Genelec 8050A

"Recent models from two manufacturers an ocean apart who clearly agree on what the performance standard is. Both of these manufacturers reveal enough anechoic data on their loudspeakers for consumers to anticipate the excellent performances depicted here"

OP
L

leonroy

Forum Donor
Good enough for what, seriously?

Comparable to something with similar specs on paper - ie. a KEF Reference/Focal Sopra etc. setup.

So is a Genelec 8050 with FR of 38Hz-20kHz (+/- 3db) comparable to say a KEF Reference 5 with FR of 40Hz - 35kHz (±3dB). The former is £2300 a pair - the latter is £10k retail not counting necessary electronics.

Is it purely packaging and market segmentation that separates the two by such a massive factor in price or is there some other difference in sound which places the KEF above the Genelec to justify the premium?

Cortes

Been looking to purchase a system for the home office and wondering if anyone would consider Genelec to be comparable with a high end audio setup?

I've been through the KEF Reference 1, the Devialet Phantom (one went kaput and Devialet apparently can't fix them so I sold those) and the KEF LS50W. It's dismaying to see the state of things with the Ref 1s priced exorbitantly, the Phantoms irreparable and the LS50Ws filled with cheap electrolytic caps.

I was looking at pro equipment since studios don't usually tolerate the above kind of nonsense and saw that Genelec are well regarded. They claim to use high quality parts and offer repair and service for years after.

The Genelec 8050 series have a FR of 38Hz-20kHz (+/- 3db) which seems pretty astounding given that they're half the price of the KEF Reference 1 and include onboard amplification.

My God... the right question is the opposite, are hight end audio setups comparable to Genelec?.
You can like or dislike Genelec products (or some of them), but I don't know any other company in audio more solid and high-tech along the years.

Make a test: put in ebay the name of your favorite "high end audio" brand, and later genelec, and see the prices of the used models.

I just bought some 8331 for near-field listenning at my office.

Before that I listenned to LS50W and K3 in some stores in Tokyo. And yes, price of the 8331 is double, and sound is also 'double'. No boxy sound like the Kefs (for my ears!, eh, don't get angry with me).

Just, be aware, no all the models are equal. Price tag of Genelec correlates pretty well with sound quality. I compared in my office some 8340 vs 8331, and the ones were noticiably better (and more expensive). I would go for some SAM model, so you can get very good room correction with their GLM Kit.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Yes the 8050 has better off axis behavior. The 8350... not so much.

It's basically the same speaker - same drivers, same waveguide - slightly different x-over perhaps - the 83 series has been brute-force filtered to be flat at around 15° off-axis it seems. Perhaps a flat listening window was the target. I don't think it'll matter that much.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Comparable to something with similar specs on paper - ie. a KEF Reference/Focal Sopra etc. setup.

So is a Genelec 8050 with FR of 38Hz-20kHz (+/- 3db) comparable to say a KEF Reference 5 with FR of 40Hz - 35kHz (±3dB). The former is £2300 a pair - the latter is £10k retail not counting necessary electronics.

Is it purely packaging and market segmentation that separates the two by such a massive factor in price or is there some other difference in sound which places the KEF above the Genelec to justify the premium?

IMO the KEF reference series is overpriced, even worse in the USA. There are far more expensive speakers which don't go as low as 38hz. Judging speakers by their frequency response specs will not bring you audio happiness. There are too many other things going on. Frankly, I've never even seen a Genelec and they are not sold nearby. US prices on Genelec are also higher than UK, about $1900 each plus sales tax of around 8%.

I am in the camp that is afraid of pricey active speakers because there is a much higher chance of failure. I love my LS50's, but would not buy another speaker with a concentric driver because tweeters have a way of blowing and concentric drivers are more expensive to replace. Not to mention the LS50 (and Genelec's) have to be opened up from the rear.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Genelecs have sophisticated protection, burning a driver is highly unlikely.
8050 is a classic as is the whole 80xx and 83xx series. The cabinet construction is a milestone and contributes a lot to their known crisp and transparent sound. Some (including myself) find them somewhat lean in the bass / fundamental region, hot in the treble. While this can be adjusted out some of that "overtransparent" character always seems to remain, some people like it, some don't...

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Genelec 8050 series have a FR of 38Hz-20kHz (+/- 3db) which seems pretty astounding
+/-3dB is pretty poor specs, just sayin'
What is it between, say, 70 Hz and 20 kHz ?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelecs have sophisticated protection, burning a driver is highly unlikely.
8050 is a classic as is the whole 80xx and 83xx series. The cabinet construction is a milestone and contributes a lot to their known crisp and transparent sound. Some (including myself) find them somewhat lean in the bass / fundamental region, hot in the treble. While this can be adjusted out some of that "overtransparent" character always seems to remain, some people like it, some don't...
Transparency is consequence of low distortion I think, not FR?

KSTR

Major Contributor
+-3dB is the tolerance band for the 38Hz... 20kHz bandwith, no the actual response ripple... which is pretty flat overall, those narrow-band small bumps and dips should not be overrated because acoustically benign.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Transparency is consequence of low distortion I think, not FR?
Both factors contribute here, plus the clean time-domain behaviour. The rigid enclosure and the damped rear port help a lot here, as does the well-controlled dispersion.

Top Bottom