• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe you could try to make a HDR picture. The same frame, one with "long" exposure and after that one with "short" exposure, and then combining them in Lightroom :)
This setup would require a tripod though...
I know what HDR photography is. Here is an early morning shot of Mt. Rainier using that:

1570169959443.png

I just don't have the time or inclination to do that with some audio box.

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I know what HDR photography is. Here is an early morning shot of Mt. Rainier using that:

View attachment 35117

I just don't have the time or inclination to do that with some audio box.
I assumed you would already know this, it was just a suggestions. And I agree you should'nt waste time on too much photography, there are enough pictures online most of the time.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Maybe you could try to make a HDR picture. The same frame, one with "long" exposure and after that one with "short" exposure, and then combining them in Lightroom :)
This setup would require a tripod though...
A long and short exposure will not increase DOF, multiple shots with large and small aperture and combining them in photoshop will create a larger DOF ;) And for that you also need a tripod;)

deafenears

Forum Donor
ASRM - Audio Science Review and Marketing - where products are viewed, and nicely photographed from all different angles for marketing purposes.

filo97s

It's really a pity that every THX amp does not come with a preamp section... if you need a pre, you still have to go on the Atom, which however is an incredible amp.
Anyone knows if it's a limitation of the THX circuitry not being able to have a pre out? Even the THX 887 lacks one, otherwise it would be the perfect endgame headphone amp.

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's really a pity that every THX amp does not come with a preamp section... if you need a pre, you still have to go on the Atom, which however is an incredible amp.
Anyone knows if it's a limitation of the THX circuitry not being able to have a pre out? Even the THX 887 lacks one, otherwise it would be the perfect endgame headphone amp.
Do you mean another connector that share the same wire from dac or not the same wire? If you only want same wire type I guess you can split the signal by using y split cable, but the voltage will be halved. Correct me if I am wrong, I do not know in depth about preamp and split dac signal.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Now im quite interested in seeing the measurements of SMSL M500.

SMSL seems to be making some impressive progress.

Their trend of well engineered products seems to continue. Great to see...

I'm also looking forward to the M500 results. I've had mine for a few weeks now, and so far so good. No unpleasant sounds at all...when I do the shake/rattle test that is...

rajapruk

Forum Donor
I wonder if using the THX name also imposes higher build quality / reliability than before for SMSL?
I know Massdrop has automated AP-testing in the factory of every unit produced. I wonder if SMSL also will do this?

filo97s

Do you mean another connector that share the same wire from dac or not the same wire? If you only want same wire type I guess you can split the signal by using y split cable, but the voltage will be halved. Correct me if I am wrong, I do not know in depth about preamp and split dac signal.
I mean an RCA (or XLR) out with volume control, in order to connect for example active monitors or power amplifiers.
If you split the dac signal the voltage will remain the same since it's connected in parallel, it's the current that change following the ohm's law and depending on the input impedance of the two devices. However if you send that signal to a power amplifier, the speakers will probably blow up as you're sending them maximum power.
I wonder if using the THX name also imposes higher build quality / reliability than before for SMSL?
I know Massdrop has automated AP-testing in the factory of every unit produced. I wonder if SMSL also will do this?
I think that the amplifier circuitry is ready-made from THX. SMSL do some optimization but most of the work has already been done by THX, in the same fashion of the SMSL A8 that has an Icepower module inside.

Tks

Major Contributor
Has any DAC maker indicated to you that they will incorporate the THX tech for a headamp section?

Then you get the beauty of both digital volume control and THX headamp technology. And no issues with channel imbalance.

No, the folks at THX said they only cared to tackle the analogue portion of audio, they had no desire, nor really need to handle the digital portion as they felt that was already at adequate levels.

As for the amp itself, with mentions of the Atom. It’s really interesting and somewhat under the radar of how they managed such performance without the THX approach, and still offer it at murderously low price of $99. Like if they used the THX feed forward approach, it wouldn’t be as impressive, they instead did their own thing, still have no supply issues, and are US based.

I speak as a THX owner myself. If JDS comes through with their DAC they’re working on, lots of other DACs are going to be in trouble. And in a year or two if JDS starts a higher build quality product line, even the current THX products won’t seem as impressive.

Well done to SMSL by the way. Nice to see any sort of difference in build configuration, was glad to see not a 1:1 copy as the Monoprice seems to be I/O wise, and such. Nice to see a smaller package and different handling of power as well. Options rule, and at $100 less than the competition.

Also well done on getting one to Amir. And a nice review from Amir himself as well.

Veri

Master Contributor
I speak as a THX owner myself. If JDS comes through with their DAC they’re working on, lots of other DACs are going to be in trouble. And in a year or two if JDS starts a higher build quality product line, even the current THX products won’t seem as impressive.

Last I heard from them this was all planned for 2019... that seems unlikely now but let's set our expectations for 2020 ;) :)

Tks

Major Contributor
What was wrong with them?

The lighting boss man, the lighting. It’s as if you have these devices in an interrogation room with some incandescent light bulb above the as the only source. Anything black loses detail. Easiest solution is turn the light on in the room, and use a piece of paper or anything white, as th backdrop. Otherwise the images are great focal length-wise. Enjoy me some of that bokeh.

Tks

Major Contributor
Last I heard from them this was all planned for 2019... that seems unlikely now but let's set our expectations for 2020 ;):)

After the D70 and the DX7 Pro delays, a slip into 2020 from JDS for their amp/dac is palatable. Just need more teasers darn it! Always awesome to see new things from companies doing great stuff.

Music1969

Major Contributor
No, the folks at THX said they only cared to tackle the analogue portion of audio, they had no desire, nor really need to handle the digital portion as they felt that was already at adequate levels.

Noted but I never said THX would tackle the digital part (D to A).

I asked if a DAC maker is keen to implement THX amp tech inside a DAC box... for the amplification part...

And the answer is yes... as per fiio q5s with the am3d example shared above.

Hopefully we get more options at different price points.

ashleydoormat

I'd say it'll need more goodies to sell amps with this kind of performance in the future. I'd like to see sexier design, rgb lighting option etc.

Tks

Major Contributor
Noted but I never said THX would tackle the digital part (D to A).

I asked if a DAC maker is keen to implement THX amp tech inside a DAC box... for the amplification part...

And the answer is yes... as per fiio q5s with the am3d example shared above.

Hopefully we get more options at different price points.

Oooh I’m very sorry, I just got up and realized I’m illiterate. :confused:

As for an answer proper, yes the Fiio. Outside of them, no one has announced plans it seems. Though I think they’re starting to pay attention for sure. And to verifiable performance in general.

bboris77

Last I heard from them this was all planned for 2019... that seems unlikely now but let's set our expectations for 2020 ;):)

My gut feeling is that they will not be missing the holiday season. I am not really in the market for a DAC or an amp but I really respect JDS Labs' engineering skill and customer service, so I can't wait to see what they have been working on.

Top Bottom