• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of REL Wireless Subwoofer Transmitter

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My pleasure. I have a way to wire surround speakers but requires drilling holes so I may test the full bandwidth solutions there. Anyone wants to suggest one? I saw one from SVS I think.

Do you mean this one https://www.svsound.com/products/soundpath-wireless-audio-adapter?

Looks like it should work, but a bit disappointing THD+N spec of -60dB :) Frequency response looks good, and claims low-latency 16/48K transmission. Should be sufficient for surrounds.

Audioagnostic

If the transmission is digital can the experts here explain to me how wifi interference with a digital signal could cause distortion. Or is the measured distortion composed of the clicks and hiccups you would expect from interference with a digital signal?
And secondly, could other wifi based streaming devices also be susceptible to this type of interference?
That would open a whole new can of worms...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My pleasure. I have a way to wire surround speakers but requires drilling holes so I may test the full bandwidth solutions there. Anyone wants to suggest one? I saw one from SVS I think

Here's a cheap pair, $58:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...ireless-audio-transmitter-receiver-s--300-594

A (similar/same?) pair came with one of my Cheezewoofers, I used them to send signal to Mother's room. I didn't notice a defect, but didn't measure them. There was a small delay.

The main idea was to permit the receiver in her room to play whatever might be playing loudly in the adjoining room, so she'd get the main sound instead of the probably annoying muffled bump-bump that would otherwise get in there.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
A (similar/same?) pair came with one of my Cheezewoofers, I used them to send signal to Mother's room. I didn't notice a defect, but didn't measure them. There was a small delay

They say 32mS delay and a 20-20Khz (-3dB) response.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover they were the similar inside as the board pictures I posted above.

Here's another interesting one:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-4G-Wi...901377?hash=item23bf36e5c1:g:kQQAAOSwWSZaspSv

1569796361040.png

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ordered IFinity Wireless transmitter/receiver: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SJ49ZJQ/ for HT surrounds.

Cheap price, cheap looking, tiny two plastic boxes that are not much bigger than the tiny SMPS that come with them. Also comes with two sets of RCA-terminated wires.

Hooked them up to a DAC and to the back of JBL 306P Mk2 speakers... Pressed play, and it worked! Nothing to fuss with, transmitter and receiver automatically discovered each other. Music is playing, and sounds just fine, especially for HT surrounds. Needs RCA to XLR converter to connect to 306P, but I had those on hand.

Some quick measurements before installing this in the HT. THD+N is OK: 1KHz sine wave:

1570041596059.png

Frequency response, good to about 20kHz:

FR.png

If someone is interested in using this with a sub, here's the FR below 20Hz:
LF.png

Cross-talk seems good, around -90dB:
crosstalk.png

Jitter is also not awful for side channel speakers:
jitter.png

I'll try to set this up later and do some listening :)

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
0.365 ms according to REW:

Did you see the amazon reviews where it clocked in around ~20mS? The A/D-Tx Rx-D/A will be more than 356uS...

The reason is the upper end of the FR plot will be otherwise measuring a lower frequency than indicated due to the delay.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you see the amazon reviews where it clocked in around ~20mS? The A/D-Tx Rx-D/A will be more than 356uS...

I have that one I pictured above, but I haven't measured delay.

The transmitter/receiver were on the same desk, about a couple of feet away. But that's what REW measured. In follow-up sweep, it came to around 1ms.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ordered IFinity Wireless transmitter/receiver: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SJ49ZJQ/ for HT surrounds.

Cheap price, cheap looking, tiny two plastic boxes that are not much bigger than the tiny SMPS that come with them. Also comes with two sets of RCA-terminated wires.

Hooked them up to a DAC and to the back of JBL 306P Mk2 speakers... Pressed play, and it worked! Nothing to fuss with, transmitter and receiver automatically discovered each other. Music is playing, and sounds just fine, especially for HT surrounds. Needs RCA to XLR converter to connect to 306P, but I had those on hand.

Some quick measurements before installing this in the HT. THD+N is OK: 1KHz sine wave:

View attachment 34982

Frequency response, good to about 20kHz:

View attachment 34985

If someone is interested in using this with a sub, here's the FR below 20Hz:
View attachment 34995

Cross-talk seems good, around -90dB:
View attachment 34988

Jitter is also not awful for side channel speakers:
View attachment 34992

I'll try to set this up later and do some listening :)

All set up and working perfectly, took no time to hook this up. No issues whatsoever. No delay detectable by ear, but this is only there for HT 5.1 setup.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Tangband

Major Contributor
Regarding the REL unit, - a delay of 22 ms is more than 7 meters delay of the sound.
Its like putting the subwoofer 7 meters behind the main loudspeakers.
A wavelength of 20 Hz are 17 meters. At 80 Hz, the wavelength is 4 meters, 25 cm.

if you crossover the subs at 80 Hz , you gonna get several phase shifts around the crossover frequency, with no delay of the main loudspeakers. The sound is gonna be less clear.

If you can delay the main speakers with 22 ms, everything should be fine.

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Don't most AVRs offer delay for every channel? That's what the distance setup is for, right?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't most AVRs offer delay for every channel? That's what the distance setup is for, right?

They usually do have individually configurable delay, but how much is specific to the hardware or software. If it's expecting normal size rooms with wired connections you might easily "run out" of delay. Maximum audio delay may instead be limited by how by how much video it can buffer to keep the audio and video in sync. Even then you've probably added so much delay that it's useless for interactive applications.

nstzya

I'd found these on my own search as well, so resurrecting that part of thread. @pkane - are you still using? Satisfactorily? I'd like to use them with more than one sub and their description mentions pairing with up to 4 receivers. I can not find where to get more receivers, however... any ideas?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd found these on my own search as well, so resurrecting that part of thread. @pkane - are you still using? Satisfactorily? I'd like to use them with more than one sub and their description mentions pairing with up to 4 receivers. I can not find where to get more receivers, however... any ideas?

Yes, still using it and no issues. Didn't look for more receivers, but if they sell any, they should be on their site:

https://www.amphony.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Regards,

-Paul

javajaws

Anybody know if you can run multiple pairs of the REL transmitters/receivers in the same room (multi sub setup)? I saw no mention of it in their manual. Given that is has pairing buttons makes me think it might be supported, but....well, never assume anything lol.

Pogre

I'm considering getting one of these for one of my subs, but I have a Behringer pro amp I'd want to use it with. At a minimum I'd need an RCA to 1/4" TS adapter to be able to connect it. Think it would work with a Behringer NX3000D?

elderblaze

Is this model different from the current one on amazon called REL HT-AIR? they claim it to be 5.8 ghz. The enclosure looks identical.

Top Bottom