• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most powerful, yet detailed sounding headphones you have heard.

donpablo

Hello,

I have a question to all headphone lovers here.
What are the most hugely, yet holographic (detailed) sounding headphones, that also give you 3D-soundstage audio feeling, you have ever heard? I mean that the instruments you would hear in the song give the feeling that they are really in the same room you are and sound they're producing almost resonate with your bones, giving you goosebumps. (I am not reffering for just bassy HPs, ofcourse they have to have concrete filled low frequencies, but it is not most important here).

I havent had a lot of HPs, but from everything I've listened to, it would be:
- Kaldas Research RR1 (electrostatic)
- Kennerton Magister Pro (dynamic)

HPs I have/had: RR1, Kennerton Magister Pro, Stax L300, Hifiman HE-560, Beyerdynamics Amiron, Focal Elear, Beyerdynamics dt990 Pro 250Ohm, AKG K240, Bosshifi B8, KZ ZS6
So really not much to be sure that I could have found better ones that suits the title of the thread especially in price range those headphones are. There are much more. Im counting here on you guys/girls that have more experience or just other HPs that I had pleasure to listen songs with.

TungstenC

From my very limited experience, what I refer to having a soundstage would be the Sennheiser HD800 and the HE1.
The Orpheus just happen to be "there" at a local shop, where I initially intended to try out the HD650s and some other phones.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
What do you mean by powerful?

Most headphones can play loud enough to damage your hearing, if volume is the metric for powerful.

The most powerful headphones I've heard are whatever I'm wearing when I mute the speakers when using headphones, but forget to turn off the subs.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HE6 (on speaker amp), Audeze LCD-range perhaps.
HD800 (for holographic) (but with EQ) and HE1 for 'looseness' of sound.
None of these get the sound in front of me but with these headphones the stereo image and separation/pinpointing of instruments and 'stability' in the stereo soundfield is the most impressing to me.
Haven't heard the RAAL nor K1000 and the likes.
While stats are impressive in details etc to me they lack 'oomph'/power in the bottom end.

Last edited:
OP
donpablo

donpablo

What do you mean by powerful?

Most headphones can play loud enough to damage your hearing, if volume is the metric for powerful.

The most powerful headphones I've heard are whatever I'm wearing when I mute the speakers when using headphones, but forget to turn off the subs.
I mean the powerful feeling of instruments you hear in song. You can call it "thick, lush sound". It is not related to loudness level of headphones ;)

OP
donpablo

donpablo

From my very limited experience, what I refer to having a soundstage would be the Sennheiser HD800 and the HE1.
The Orpheus just happen to be "there" at a local shop, where I initially intended to try out the HD650s and some other phones.

What I am trying to explain here, is not only the soundstage, but good soundstage along with thick sound.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I mean the powerful feeling of instruments you hear in song. You can call it "thick, lush sound". It is not related to loudness level of headphones ;)

Sounds like an emphasis in the upper bass / lower mids, and a bit of a roll off in the highs.

You can do this via EQ, to some extent.

OP
donpablo

donpablo

@watchnerd Yep I know that, howevery every HPs head its own limitation even after EQ, comparing to other, better ones in one on other sonic-term. That is why I am asking about headphones, could be even ones that you EQued and you are happy from the results.

Fregly

Powerful means hyped mid bass to me. Hd 650 has that. The Ety Er4sr are the most detailed I've heard, just not around the head sounding, yet it has the realism of standing right in with the orchestra, which can be really trippy with some recordings.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Sennheisser hd700. Their higher end models are likely even better but I haven’t heard them

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Almost everything when driven by MiniDSP HA-DSP headphone amp using crossfeed and eq'd to conform with Harman International target response! Was able to get particularly close to the target response using Fostex T50RP II with Shure ear pads (they're deeper than the stock pieces and form a better seal). Target response curve is designed to simulate some of the whack-in-the-gut feel one gets from powerful bass, and it works surprisingly well.

Real big surprise were Apple's original premium earbuds: Decent but unexciting things by themselves but they are transformed by the DSP treatment.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Etymotic ER4 IEMs are very detailed and revealing yet have a neutral signature. Many headphones perceived as detailed and revealing hype the highs. A very detailed and revealing headphone which is not expensive is the Audio Technica ATH MSR7, it is a bit bright but not excessively so and is an excellent bit of gear. For soundstage type stuff, if you don't want to spend the earth then the AKG K712 does it very well.

Sak

Audio Technica ATH SR9 - very very detailed clean sound. Much more detailed than MSR7.
IMG-20181009-120301.jpg

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Focal Clear headphones are a little bright, but are very revealing and impactful, while not being harsh in the treble, but it lets you know it's there, lol. Could use a smidge more bass.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
If its imaging that somehow sounds like a pair of good bookshelf speakers in a room, the Raal Sr1a.
Nothing else I have tried sounds like it in that aspect.

Awesome detail retrieval without sounding harsh at all. But its a little light in the bass region.

Biggest drawback being the power they need to tap on to sound good.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
If its imaging that somehow sounds like a pair of good bookshelf speakers in a room, the Raal Sr1a.
Nothing else I have tried sounds like it in that aspect.

Awesome detail retrieval without sounding harsh at all. But its a little light in the bass region.

Biggest drawback being the power they need to tap on to sound good.

$3500.....

Dang.

I haven't heard them, but nor have I heard *of* them, but at that price point, I'd at least compare against Stax, who have been around for decades.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I would ask you not to take my word for it. Give it an audition before deciding if its your cup of tea. Just like many wax lyrical over the Utopia while really didn't quite enjoy it despite it being connected to a Chord Dave and Blu mkii when I tried them.

Raal is not a new company though, they have been doing highly rated ribbon tweeters for quite a few years.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I would ask you not to take my word for it. Give it an audition before deciding if its your cup of tea. Just like many wax lyrical over the Utopia while really didn't quite enjoy it despite it being connected to a Chord Dave and Blu mkii when I tried them.

Raal is not a new company though, they have been doing highly rated ribbon tweeters for quite a few years.

Oh, it's *that* Raal.

As for listening in person, that would be tricky, as their nearest dealer is an 18 hour drive from me.

Top Bottom